Internet Connection Sharing Error (6)

Jarnet

WiiChat Member
Oct 4, 2007
I bought the Wi-Fi USB connector on Tuesday. Installed it, hooked it up, it worked great, my friends and I were spamming each other's message boards like no tomorrow. Sometime last night the connection stopped working and the wii didn't recognize the connector, so I tried a connection test through the wii's internet options. I got the error 51040 so I checked it on the Nintendo site and I went through some steps to correct it; I uninstalled and reinstalled the software (several times, from my installation CD and Nintendo's links), checked my firewalls, etc.

I started getting an internet connection sharing error, so I googled it and found these forums and started taking steps to fix it--except nothing's worked. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, I've allowed access from my main internet connection, port forwarded on my router, put all the files on Norton (I know =\) safe list, disabled norton, bypassed my router and went directly from the modem to the PC, and tried plugging the Wi-Fi USB Connector into the front and back of the PC.
Last night I tried changing my router's IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 and the software installed but the wii would not pick up the connection. Again, I tried reinstalling, and got the internet connection sharing error.

This is frustrating =( Does anyone have a fix that I haven't tried or perhaps have done wrong?

Edit::
For clarification, I don't use Vista, I use XP.

Edit 2::
Alright, I changed my ip again and it finally did install; however, when the connection setup gets to the point where the wii says "Use the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector registration tool on your PC to grant this Wii permission to connect," I do so and nothing happens. The wii doesn't pick up the signal. They're less than 10ft apart and when I move the wii closer to the connector nothing happens.

Last edited:
i hope someone can ansew this becuase my wii does the exact same thing

it only happened cause i connected to xbox live

ok what you MIGHT need to do if youre running windows is set your internet connection to shared.

You go to control panel, then like network preferences or someting, and go to where you'll have your main internet connection, and if you have the USB in it should have that available too

Go to your main internet connection and right click and go to properties.

Now there should be a bunch of tabs i think. i havent used windows in a while so i dunno. but if you go to the advanced tab it will have a check box or something for internet sharing. you gotta enable internet sharing for it to work. thats what i had to do, although i didnt have the official nintendo USB one i have datel's crap one.

Back