internet connection shopping list?

Kremily1

WiiChat Member
Jan 1, 2007
Getting online without wireless?

(I also posted this in wii chat)
I know they probably have been but I can't find the whole answer.

I went into Best Buy yesterday to get what I need to set our wii up online.
I have ADSL but it is not wireless.
The sales rep told me that I will need a DS adaptor, memory cards for each game (and that they are 4gb each), and that there are only 3 games available online right now. Plus she said that I can not just flip the wii remote around I have to buy the classic controller.
Is she talking about something else?

A guy at work said he just uses the wii controller, I saw that there are at least 15 wii games in the wii store (with 10 new per month) and I was told by someone else that I just need a USB driver or something (but I suspect that is only for wireless connections). I thought I read on somewhere that the games go straight into the wii's harddrive to prevent pirating etc so I don't see why I need a card.

Basicly my question is what do I need to get my wii online without getting wireless internet?

I read in another thread someone advise the poster to get a wireless router instead, would this be my best bet?
Do I really need an SD card for each game and, if I go wireless what exactly do I need to buy besides the router?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience (since at least some of my questions have been answered elsewhere).

For wireless I will need?:
For not wireless I will need?:

Last edited:
If you want a wired connection, you will have to wait until Nintendo releases a wired USB adapter that connects to a router.

Ok, apparantly I can use the USB connector from the DS, anyone know if this is true?
From what I gather I plug that into the computer and it's good to go.

whoever you talked to is talking out their ass. you dont need memory cards for the games if you want to play online, necessarily. also, there are currently 0 games that take advantage of online play. buy a wireless router. your wii can use it, along with any pc's in your house. dont waste your $ on those lame adapters.

The ass talker was the girl at best buy and I am so glad I went with my gut feeling that she was just trying to oversell.
Is there anything in particular about the adaptors that is lame? Just curious but does the computer have to be close to the wii? Or is there something else about them that sucks?
I am paranoid about wireless for some reason, I know there probably is no reason to be but I have always stayed away from it.

Can I use my firends adaptor to download and then give it back to her? Can you use them on more then one system?

You can easily save the games to the memory of the Wii and a 2gb SD card will hold more games than they currently have out. In other words 1 SD card is all you need for all your game saves and downloaded games etc.

you can buy a wireless router for 40 bucks too. and when you have more money later, you can buy a wireless card for your pc(s).

distance away probably won't matter, unless you have brick/cement/lead walls. I have a linksys WAP54G that is giving me signal through 2 floors and is working great. I'd go back to BB and see what else that lady says...she'll prolly tell you that you need a 60" HDTV with monster cables or else the Wii will kill you in your sleep or somethin along those lines...

/starting to hate those stores, angry people work there.

Sp00ks said:
I'd go back to BB and see what else that lady says...she'll prolly tell you that you need a 60" HDTV with monster cables or else the Wii will kill you in your sleep or somethin along those lines...

/starting to hate those stores, angry people work there.
LMFAO OMG that was funny.
I know they make their money off games and accessories but overselling is not cool.

Back