Internet Connection (Wired)

bam-bam-67

WiiChat Member
Jan 3, 2008
I have checked all the forums, chatrooms etc, and still have not found any relief to my connection problem.

I bought a Datel LAN Adapter for the Wii (I know, not the best, but...).

I have a Linksys WRT54G with the 4.21.1 firmware loaded and a Motorola Cable Modem.

After lots of attempts, I finally got down to connection without the router, and it worked. I was able to update the Wii and do all the stuff that makes that a cool thing to do.

However, when I tried to get the router back into the picture (lots of other stuff already using the internet), I could no longer get the Wii to access. It gives me the 50420 error code and happily ignores me. I have tried all the variations of unplug, reboot, etc to no avail.

It does not appear that it even gets an IP address from DHCP, but hard setting the IP and DNS doesn't work either. I know there has to be someone out there using a similar if not identical setup, since it was one of the most popular routers sold, and nowadays the Datel is what most of the retailers are selling.

Anyone have any new ideas???

Why are you using the LAN adapter if you have a router?
also do you have mac address filtering enabled or something? did you change your pass. on your router and forget to transfer it to wii?

There are several reasons I don't use the Wireless. One, the 2.4 GHz phones interfere with it something awful. Two, even with the phones off, I don't get a signal through the 4 walls, and lots of steel duct work between the Wii and the router. Three, on a bad day, I can break any of those so called wireless security protocols in under 5 minutes. You don't really expect me to open my network up like that do you???

That aside, yes, I have tried all the usual suspects, and some more esoteric ones, I am beginning to think that the Datel doesn't understand what it is getting back. It sends a request and receives a response, but basically ignores it and keeps sending the same request for DHCP info.

I know it still works, as I just re-verified it without the router. It seems to work fine with the modem alone. Very dis-heartening.

i know it's strange, but which ethernet cable are you using? strait through or crossover?

try the one you're not using

i was connected through a switch and then a router, but it wouldnt work (i think switches are crossovers), but pluged into the router would work.

Last edited:
Given the previous posting, I decided to do some intermediary checking.

I tried the following with listed results;

Cable Modem only -> Wii Datel adapter : works fine
Cable Modem -> Linksys Router -> Wii adapter : didn't work
Cable Modem -> Ethernet switch -> Wii adapter : doesn't work
Cable Modem -> Ethernet Hub -> Wii adapter : works fine
Cable Modem -> Router -> Ethernet Hub -> Wii adapter : works fine
Cable Modem -> Router -> Ethernet Switch -> Wii adapter : doesn't work

Tried this one again, since it appears from above that it should work and...
Cable Modem -> Linksys Router -> Wii adapter : Now it works, but everything else above is still true.

Please don't post anymore though about cross-overs and mis-wiring, as I have tried several pre-made and home made cables in all the configurations above, and all of them work as designed.

I tried the following switches and hubs;

Netgear EN108 Hub, NetGear GS108 Gigabit unmanaged switch, SMC 1016DT Un-managed switch, Dell PowerConnect 3024 Switch, Noname NV000094 Hub.

I can't explain why it started working (by the way, with all the same cables in place) after the testing, but am happy that it did. There is obviously something that the adapter doesn't like about any switching technology, but I don't have the time to troubleshoot it any further. Maybe someday, I will stumble across and answer, and try and post it here, if I do.

...Out...

Back