internet sharing with PCI WiFi card to Wii

lele007

WiiChat Member
Dec 21, 2006
Hi there!

My internet connection directly comes to my pc from the ISP through a LAN cable to my network card (IP/DNS through DHCP). I have bought a PCI WiFi card to share this connection with my Wii however i can't get it to work. The Wii gives me a 50100 error (No internet connection). I have enable internet sharing in the newtork connections/properties panel..

WiFi is set to peer-to-peer, security WEP, authentic mode: Shared key, and to channel 1...

Can somebody help?
Many thanks!

Wow, how refreshing to see an intelligent post:

Sounds like you covered all the settings correctly. Do you have another device (laptop?) that you can try to connect on? If you can connect on a laptop, you should be able to connect to the Wii.

Sorry I dont have anymore ideas for ya.

-Bobby

Maleko said:
Put your WLAN card into AP mode.
how do i do that? :) (i'm new with this wlan thingy)

edit: i have an option at setting - BSS Type p2p or AP. were you thinking about that one?

Yea, AP (Access Point) mode was what he typed and thought... unless he was thinking about something else and was intending to type "the trash".

All that needs to be done is to setup your AP WLAN card like a wireless router and see if your Wii catches it's SSID.

Btw, make sure you set it to 802.11B or 802.11B/G. The built in wireless on the Wii doesn't function on G apparently.

MaxCapacitor said:
Yea, AP (Access Point) mode was what he typed and thought... unless he was thinking about something else and was intending to type "the trash".

All that needs to be done is to setup your AP WLAN card like a wireless router and see if your Wii catches it's SSID.

Btw, make sure you set it to 802.11B or 802.11B/G. The built in wireless on the Wii doesn't function on G apparently.
When i set it to AP my Wii doesn't finds it at all...

And where do i do that: make sure you set it to 802.11B or 802.11B/G ?

thanks

Well, I don't know what kind of card you're sportin' so it'd be difficult to answer you right off the bat.

What's the make and model of your Wireless LAN card and the software you're using to setup the wireless settings (i.e. WinXP's wireless configurator or the software that came in the box with your WLAN card)?

Its microcom WF 3124.. tried in wlan software also in XP's builtin software...

Oh man, I've never attempted to setup an AP through the Windows Zero Configuration built in utility before. I'm not even sure if it's possible.

If you were using software supplied by the maker of your WLAN card or a compatible third party wireless utility, I'd be able to help you there.

Hopefully a more experienced network techie will show up to help you with your setup, lele007. Sorry I couldn't help you there.

thanks anyway..
i've uploaded the user guide (manual) from my wifi card here.. if somebody knows how to get this to work then please have a look at it.. thanks :)

Your WiFi card is 192.168.0.1 on your PC right, since you're using Internet Connection Sharing?

The Wii needs manually configured, use these settings:
Wii IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1
Secondary DNS: 192.168.0.1

I hope this works!

I know you're trying to configure what you've already purchased, but why not purchase a small wireless router? that way you could have your PC turned off and still have Internet access... Just my 2 cents.

Wireless routers can be had for around $20 if you look around actually, that brings up a good point. You can still have all the features as if you were directly connected if you DMZ your PC through the router.

lele007 said:
how do i do that? :) (i'm new with this wlan thingy)

edit: i have an option at setting - BSS Type p2p or AP. were you thinking about that one?

Yes thats exactly the setting.

Back