No.1 Smurf
Dec 5, 2006
Manchester
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Im getting my Wii on Friday 8th Dec like all U.K people xD
But
At home downstairs I have a Cable Internet Built In Modem
To get Internet on my Wii Upstairs do I have to do the following...

- Get A WiFi Compatible Router
- Get The Wii Connecter Thingy
- Connect Wirelessly using my Wifi Router from Downstairs

If not please tell me how
I want my Internet sorted A.S.A.P when I get my Wii

well, I do not know how it is working for the UK, but i know over here in the US that the internet wont be fully ready till 2007. However, there will be the weather channel on december 20th and the news channel is coming out sometime in january. I dont know how long it is going to take them to make the web browser available. As of now, all the internet does is let you download the virtual console games.

Once you have a Wireless router, and you set it up properly, you'll be fine. Some routers have terrible distances and seem like ****. I suggest getting a Linksys.

Kamikaze said:
Once you have a Wireless router, and you set it up properly, you'll be fine. Some routers have terrible distances and seem like ****. I suggest getting a Linksys.

Cheers...

The ONM said this...

WiiMagazine.jpg

So how much what I be paying altogether to get Tinternet xD

Modem > Router > Wii USB thingy

theres 2 methods to connect with the Wii ... 1. wireless - all you need is your internet & a wireless router, and 2. normal - internet modem, router (unles your modem is also a router) & USB ethernet adapter for the Wii.

if you don;t already have a router, go wireless, it's worth it and super easy to set up.

buckyfellini said:
theres 2 methods to connect with the Wii ... 1. wireless - all you need is your internet & a wireless router, and 2. normal - internet modem, router (unles your modem is also a router) & USB ethernet adapter for the Wii.

if you don;t already have a router, go wireless, it's worth it and super easy to set up.

I have a Modem in my PC
I'll connect my Modem to a WiFi Router and use that Wii adapter
Will that work
[Not so much a wizz kid at Internet]

Right ok. So I'll get a Wireless Router and sit it next to my Wii?

Router is still connected to my Modem downstairs though?

xD Im so stupid lol everything Internet based needs explaining like step by step lol

Thanks for the Advice I'll have Internet on my Wii when I get it and Internet stuff comes out xD

I recommend Netgear, my whole house is covered, however it should be noted my house isn't a two story home.

Wii_Smurf,

If I understand you correctly you currently have a modem (dsl, cable, whatever broadband) going into your computer downstairs and your Wii will be upstairs.

If that is correct all you would need to buy is a wireless router. The modem would then plug into the router and your computer would thin plug into the router (most wireless routers have 4 ports for wired) and your Wii will be able to connect to that wireless router with no extra equipment.

-Bobby

bobby1211 said:
Wii_Smurf,

If I understand you correctly you currently have a modem (dsl, cable, whatever broadband) going into your computer downstairs and your Wii will be upstairs.

If that is correct all you would need to buy is a wireless router. The modem would then plug into the router and your computer would thin plug into the router (most wireless routers have 4 ports for wired) and your Wii will be able to connect to that wireless router with no extra equipment.

-Bobby

Cheers...
If I have any problems after I get my Router I'll tell you lol CHEERS xD

Kamikaze said:
You'll have shitty ass range though, trust me on this one.

mines on wireless, 3 floors below my router, no problems ... that seems like good enough range to me.

buckyfellini said:
mines on wireless, 3 floors below my router, no problems ... that seems like good enough range to me.

Sweet
What Router to I need specificly?
Just any Wireless Router
I'll sit it above my PC but will it slow down my internet (remember im using a modem)
Then 1 floor. My room is about above my Router
Then Wii xD

Wii_Smurf said:
Sweet
What Router to I need specificly?
Just any Wireless Router
I'll sit it above my PC but will it slow down my internet (remember im using a modem)
Then 1 floor. My room is about above my Router
Then Wii xD

adding a router won't slow down anything; i'm not sure if this setup will work if you're on dial-up tho ... are you on dial-up or dsl/cable?

When you say you are using a modem.... are you saying you are using Dialup Access? I dont believe you will be able to find a wireless dialup router. There is talk of using the Nintendo broadband USB adaptor after connecting to dialup... but I dont believe anyone has tested it yet.

-Bobby

Back