iOS Game Review: Smash Turtle - remind you of Smash Bros?

SmashGirl

WiiChat Member
Nov 4, 2011
Hey, I just got an iPad and I wanted to start writing reviews for every game I buy. I really like Smash Bros so someone recomended me this game called Smash Turtle. It's not a fighting game, but it has kind of a similar feel. It's sort of like an arcade/puzzle hybrid game that has a lot of elements of Smash Bros and Angry Birds. I thought people here might be interested in my review so I'm pasting it here.

Smash Turtle by Heyalda
$0.99, *** 1/2

Pros
* Simple, addictive gameplay
* Satisfying challenge
* Cute graphics

Cons
* A few bugs, egg sometimes disappears
* Not as much variety as I'd like

mzl.nkmuhrxk.320x480-75.jpg

[video=youtube;MZXbnuQGCjM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZXbnuQGCjM"]Smash Turtle Trailer[/video]

Smash Turtle is a little physics-based action/puzzle game hybrid. You pull on a turtle attached to a sling and release him to smash into enemies. The object of the game is to smash all the enemies before they reach the bottom of the screen and fly off with your egg. It kind of feels like a cross between Angry Birds and Super Smash Bros.

The graphics are nothing groundbreaking, just hand-drawn 2D sprites. But they are vibrant and colorful and the character designs are cute.

The gameplay is simple and sometimes feels repetitive, but it's easy for anyone to pick up and play and can be super addictive after you get into it. It took me about 10 seconds before I got the hang of the physics (at first I was pulling the turtle into the enemies instead of pulling him away from enemies and releasing him).

The enemies consist of many different critters: parakeets, koalas, hippos with wings, wombats. Sometime later in the game you have to fight aliens and cats wearing rocket packs. It doesn't make any sense and is pretty funny to see what enemies will be after your egg in each level.

The levels last about a minute, and at the end, the egg you were protecting hatches to reveal a baby turtle. Again it's fun to see what each new baby turtle will look like, some of them are pretty...unpredictable. It says you can share your turtles on facebook, but I haven't tried it yet.

Overall, this is a pretty solid little game if you have some time to kill. It won't revolutionize gaming, but it's simple, silly fun that would appeal to any age of player. At only $0.99 it's a definite buy.

I'm posting some more gameplay videos on my YouTube channel - SmashGirl95

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Back