ipod life question

rodent

WiiChat Member
Aug 7, 2006
Hello, i have a question about the iPod:

I have been thinking about buying one, but, while researching it, i came across something. You see, i found that most iPods seem to break down within about a year of life, just barely outliving the waranty. This sounds like a risk you would have to take with any electronic device, but if i'm about to spen $200 upwards on an iPod only to have it die out within a year, well, frankly thats bullshit. If i'm going to spend that much on anything, i believe that it should last at the very least 5-10 years.

anyway, i wanted some input, so anything useful on the subject you could offer would be great. Thank you

dont listen to that, ppl always just point out the bad things about iPods and the like. I've had mine for 2 years and its just fine. dont worry, and congrats if you get one, it'll make you happier with your music. guaranteed.

If you aren't filthy rich, I'd still recommend scoping out the competition. Better values.

I-pods are great products, but by now, it is just brand recognition and fashion statement that hold it in first still.

I have a microphoto. Much better controls after you get used to it. IMO

Brawny said:
If you aren't filthy rich, I'd still recommend scoping out the competition. Better values.

I-pods are great products, but by now, it is just brand recognition and fashion statement that hold it in first still.

I have a microphoto. Much better controls after you get used to it. IMO

:yikes: your the only other person i know with one! i dont have one but one of my friends does, and yes, its another good option. creatives are great too. but no matter what you do, DO NOT GET A ZUNE.

ok, i might still get an ipod, but any tips on how to extend its life?

also, alternatives to ipods are nice to hear about to

Well you got creative and zune. Main competitiors.

Are you even decieded on Microdrive Vs. harddrive vs. Flash?

rodent said:
ok, i might still get an ipod, but any tips on how to extend its life?

also, alternatives to ipods are nice to hear about to

get a nice case so that if its dropped you dont break it, and dont get a cheap crap one either, get a nice one that looks durable and has a screen cover so it wont get scratched.

If you take care of it, it will last a while. My old one lasted between 4 and 5 years before the harddrive finally gave out, and now I have a video.

The reason you hear a lot of cases of iPods dying is because those are the only people who complain. You don't hear about all the people like me, who work for what they have, and take good care of it, letting their Ipods have a full lifetime. A lot of people also mod their iPods, it's kind of a bad idea considering that some of the software mods can drain battery life, and ruin the file system.

yeahh my sister has an ipod mini and she got it when it first came out (but her bf juss got her a nano so she doesnt use it anymore) i think the only problem you might have with it is the battery which i think is replaceable...you might wanna get warranty on it..i dunno i have a zune and i like that but its best if you look online and see what u want...its better to do that then listen to people say IPODS SUCK and dont back it up or ZUNES ARE HORRIBLE and some other crap lol well good luck

This may come out sounding like a rant but i'm not completely against ipods i have just hit my fair share of... lets say "ordeals" with this product, and looking back, i would have seriously considered other options as well. I have owned 2 ipod videos now, the first was damaged (all cosmetic damage) but i am rather anal about keeping my things in perfect shape. People say if u buy a good case with a screan protector etc that it will b fine BULL!!! lol, i had a really expensive case on mine from the min i bought it that everyone swore would protect it from everything and it still got scratched to S*!T. Good news tho, i got rid of that one and bought another and also purchased a ShieldZone scratch guard for this one and i SWARE by it, you buy them over the internet here is the site... http://www.shieldzone.com/ (these people were friendly, helpful, and it is the BEST product i have EVER bought! not a scratch on this one and i have had it for almost a year) Back to problems i have had though, mine has had several "mal functions" and i found the people at ipod to be ignorant and NOT HELPFUL AT ALL!!! And this might just be me but i also find the soft ware hard to figure out, i hear its easyer if you are used to using a mac. (p.s. i am currently in a new crisis with my ipod and if anyone can help i would really appreciate it... you see i recently had to reboot my computer and all my songs are now on my ipod but not on my comp in itunes. Is there a way to get them from my ipod, into my itunes!??!?!? cuz i can't seem to figure it out) Oh and another thing, it took , me like 6 months to even figure out how to put videos onto my IPOD VIDEO?! Shouldent they come with the software or a hint or something! And it only comes with a cable to charge it on you comp. Thats all i can think of right now :)

Whoa, you've been gone a while. I'd recommend editing and making some paragraphs. I bet I'm the only one who read that whole wall of text.

I kinda need the OP back to comment any further.

Ipods suck. get a different brand, i can guarantee you that NO brand is gonna last you 5 years dude. NONE they will ALL die within 6 months to a year. stick with CD players. seriously.

gh05t said:
listen to people say IPODS SUCK and dont back it up or ZUNES ARE HORRIBLE

lol, i hope i didnt sound like that in my other posts about zunes.

:lol: but a friend of mines has already had one die on him after 2 weeks. and yes, he took very good care of it and im 99.9% sure it wasnt something he did.
but, they are new and M$ needs time to work out the bugs.

all an MP3 player is, is an external hard drive with playing capabilities, the reason they all die so damn fast is because of the drives being unreliable, i would seriously take a non skip CD player over an MP3 player any day, they may not be compact, but damn it they last longer lol.

Back