iPod or Zune for TV shows

kidtmnt

WiiChat Member
Feb 13, 2007
my b-day is coming up soon and i dont know if i should ask for a iPod or for a Zune. I'd like to be able to watch my tmnt and avatar shows while i'm in the car and stuff like that. what do you think?

iPod, I have one and it is brilliant for viewing movies etc. Zune is just a Microsoft product that is trying to rival iPod, but it's not working.
iPod looks,works and plays media brilliantly. Besides, iPod will always be the market leader for MP3 players.
Do the decent thing, get an iPod.
Lee.J

thanks for the reply lee.jarratt,

what program do you use to convert shows and put them onto the iPod? I'd like try out the program and see the output file.

kidtmnt said:
thanks for the reply lee.jarratt,

what program do you use to convert shows and put them onto the iPod? I'd like try out the program and see the output file.

What I do is rip a movie or TV show from a DVD by using DVD dycryptor (SP?) and then convert the file to MP4 using Videora for iPod.
Lee.J

DRMARIO said:
I have an Ipod. Honestly, I hate the thing, but its my best choice for storing my 10 000 tracks of music (and counting) on. I've noticed that the time for watching videos on my ipod isn't very long, which is a bit of a pain.
I don't know what the battery life is for the Zune, but it could well be better than the Ipod, I don't know!

Personally, I'd choose a Zune. I think they look a lot nicer than the ipods..
Looks aren't everything. I have a few friends that have Zunes but they hate them. I haven't ever owned one but I have played around with my friends and I prefer my iPod, though it might be better once you get used to it. I don't know how I could live with out a scroll wheel. :yikes: Also 10,000 is a shitload of songs. All my friends think I'm crazy for having 5,000.

DR.MARIO:

Your battery life depends on many things when viewing video.

Certain compression codecs will drain your battery faster. The more something is compressed, the harder the processor has to work to decompress it for viewing. So, sacrifice some image quality (which frankly, on a 640x480 screen you may not even notice) and some space, and your battery will last longer.

For example regular Mpeg-4 versus H.246 compression. H.246 will give you a MUCH better quality for the size/bitrate. But Mpeg-4 will save you some major battery life.

Also, battery life depends on how long you keep the backlight on (if at all).

Some good sources for videos:

iTunes Store
Youtube
Limewire

For the iTunes Store, it's pretty obvious, open iTunes and find a movie/show you like. You will need to pay $$$ though.

For Youtube, you will need to (for Macs) first download and application called isquint which will convert Youtube videos into iPod-compatible videos. When you're done downloaded, go to Youtube and find a video you will like to watch on your iPod. Click bookamrks on the top of your mac and open activites. A bunch of files will appear, click the largest one (the actual video file) and it will imediatly start to download. Then from the desktop, drag the file to iSquint and it will start to convert.

Limewire - open it up, and start downloaded a searched video, simple enough. the file is imediatly exported to iTunes.

Above is AKA:

Get a Black Video iPod!

www.uxcell.com

yeah yeah yeah advertising but if its out of your pocket, get a cool ass mp4 player! i own the spectrum. dont get the vista my bf has that and im going out of my mind trying to get movies on it! mine is sooo easy!

anyways, if your parents are spending the cash, get an ipod. only reason i dont get an ipod is because i HATE having what everyone else has and that its so stupid and played out. it is however the most practical

Another thing to add to the list of where to get them is torrents (of course you must also own the original copy. Wink Wink). I wouldn't get a black iPod either. I got a black one and I regret it. They look good in pictures, but once you get one they don't look as good and they show scratches and dirt very easily. @Loose: The Spectrum only comes in 1GB-4GB which is way too small for me. Maybe you could get a cheap Chinese rip off. My friend went to China and he came back and told me he got an iPod Nano. I asked him to show it to me, so he pulled it out and it doesn't even look real. Here is a pic of it.
3.jpg

It works pretty good though and it can play videos. I looked it up and it only costs $20.

oh yeah they dont have anything over 5G unless its like a 2G with expandable mini sd (not micro transflash)

in truth, its not as "cheap" as it is. the screen is very visible but the buttons deff feel "off" at first since they arent really embedded in the product. they are kinda elevated a tad. same thing with the screen. its raised a little bit. i would like it all to be flush.

but hey for 80$ and it does 400 songs and 1 movie and its barely even touched the half way mark, i gotta say its pretty damn awesome :)

dealextreme.com has the 1g nano look alike on sale for like 30$ i think.

so yeah back to topic, get an ipod for the size if you have TONS of stuff. i usually delete my movies after im done watching them on my mp4 player

FR. said:
Also, battery life depends on how long you keep the backlight on (if at all).

Some good sources for videos:

iTunes Store
Youtube
Limewire

For the iTunes Store, it's pretty obvious, open iTunes and find a movie/show you like. You will need to pay $$$ though.

For Youtube, you will need to (for Macs) first download and application called isquint which will convert Youtube videos into iPod-compatible videos. When you're done downloaded, go to Youtube and find a video you will like to watch on your iPod. Click bookamrks on the top of your mac and open activites. A bunch of files will appear, click the largest one (the actual video file) and it will imediatly start to download. Then from the desktop, drag the file to iSquint and it will start to convert.

Limewire - open it up, and start downloaded a searched video, simple enough. the file is imediatly exported to iTunes.

Above is AKA:

Get a Black Video iPod!

for the youtube vids you can just use this http://vixy.net/

to rip youtube videos, i use www.keepvid.com converts them to FLV (i think) format and then you have to convert it to mpeg4 or something like that? correct me if im wrong ive never actually done the process for an ipod/zune

ETA- i do NOT recommend using limewire :sick: too much spyware/adaware

Back