Is buying a new TV really worth it?

GypsyKid

WiiChat Member
Apr 12, 2007
Alberta, Canada
As of right now I own this TV: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-27AF44-27-Flat-MTS/dp/B0001CVBVE

I am using component cables to hook up my PS3. I think my TV only goes up to 480i. However, everything does look good on it including standard cable and VHS. It's my understanding that standard cable looks horrible on HDTV and I will have to upgrade my service if I don't want to see TV programs looking absolutely horrible.

I am considering getting an LCD that is capable of producing 1080p. I am wondering if it is truly worth it. $2000 plus is quite a bit of money for me at the moment, and its not like I really know what I'm missing if I don't get an HDTV. However, the idea of having my games look substantially better than they already do is really tempting.

So will HDTV truly be worth it in most cases?

In most cases, HD is definitely the way to go (maybe all in fact)...if you can afford it. I upgraded to 480p from standard for Wii (and my favorite GC games too) and have no regrets with this rather small upgrade.

What do you guys suggest buying if I want 1080p? These are the ones I've been considering:

http://www.thebrick.com/Application...38B2ED69,D9F2A952-F8A9-47F1-9965-DD1FB072C555

http://www.thebrick.com/Application...38B2ED69,D9F2A952-F8A9-47F1-9965-DD1FB072C555

BTW those are all different links. It doesn't look like it cause they got shortened.

Here is a list of all the TV's from The Brick

I have a Brick Card with a limit of $3300 so I guess that would be about the most I would spend.

Last edited:
GypsyKid said:
What do you guys suggest buying if I want 1080p?
im not really too sure i myself likes to play games at its fullest so i went out and bought a 52 inch tv just for my wii. best choice i ever made so you see if buying this tv will make you happy cuz not only will you use it for games, but movies will look nice too so upgrade my friend but... 2000 bucks i dont know about all that

well if you get 1080p you can use hdmi for ps3 which is a lot more convenient. plus at my friends house watching blu ray in 1080p looks so amazing that words cant describe it. i would suggest getting that 1500-2000 hdtv if you are going to use it for 7-10 years.

I think the first TV listed was a great choice. LCD/Plasma look like crap with low resolution games. Do you have any other consoles besides the PS3? Most true gamers keep a CRT TV around just for gaming.

If you have the extra money get an HD CRT like the KV-36XBR800

ciper said:
I think the first TV listed was a great choice. LCD/Plasma look like crap with low resolution games. Do you have any other consoles besides the PS3? Most true gamers keep a CRT TV around just for gaming.

If you have the extra money get an HD CRT like the KV-36XBR800

Do you mean that Toshiba TV that I already own? I must admit after getting the component cables and calibrating my tv for a sharp image with little to no ghost-ness and setting the ps3 and the tv to 16:9 it looks pretty damn good.

I own a Wii. I own a PS2 and an original Xbox which I don't play anymore and are not even hooked up.

What's the advantages of a HD CRT?

all u can get on a hd crt is 480p. hey how do games look hooked up to a computer monitor via vga cable?

ciper said:
LCD/Plasma look like crap with low resolution games.
Really? Why is that? I was considering getting an LCD HDTV, but if that's the case, I'm not sure.

GypsyKid said:
Do you mean that Toshiba TV that I already own? I must admit after getting the component cables and calibrating my tv for a sharp image with little to no ghost-ness and setting the ps3 and the tv to 16:9 it looks pretty damn good.

I own a Wii. I own a PS2 and an original Xbox which I don't play anymore and are not even hooked up.

What's the advantages of a HD CRT?
If you are only going to play the PS3 then an LCD/Plasma would be fine since it is outputting a resolution the display is better suited for. The Wii won't look as good as it would on a CRT of similar size (when possible).

You should consider the Costco return policy and buy a TV from their and try the Wii.

gingerkid said:
all u can get on a hd crt is 480p. hey how do games look hooked up to a computer monitor via vga cable?
Thats strange. I just started watching Jay Leno in 1080i on my HD CRT. Must be magic :yikes:

Wade said:
Really? Why is that? I was considering getting an LCD HDTV, but if that's the case, I'm not sure.
If you read the forums dedicated to retro gaming or home theater you will see many people unhappy with their HD sets because the older game consoles look pixelated. Usually it is a combination of problems - first the older consoles are low resolution (240 for systems prior to the PS) and the upconversion built into lesser expensive sets is not very good. Second because CRTs have built in antialiasing that an LCD/Plasma cannot recreate.

Back