is it possible to do this?

strawberry

WiiChat Member
Dec 27, 2007
im really sorry guys, this has probably been posted about a million times but i have spent ages searching and cannot find anything that really answers my question
i dont have a wireless internet network at home and i dont want to set one up so i think, great, ill go buy myself a wifi connector thingy. problem is that they had sold out of them so i bought a usb network adapter thinking it would do the same thing. is there any way that i can set the adapter up to channel my broadband connection out of the computer and to the wii? i have already tried searching for a connection on the wii but it just comes up with a bunch of secure hotspots all over the place, not my adapter
many thanks!

"usb network adapter"

the LAN adapter or a generic WIFI adapter?

either way should work

the LAN adapter..
you must have 2 ethernet cards/inputs on your pc
run the network wizard and tell it other computers are connected to the internet through this computer.

the WIFI adapter..
should work (i stress SHOULD).
just have to set it up properly (install drivers, set passwords, ect..)
downfall, computer must be on in order for it to work.

hmmm... I did try (its a wifi adapter) and nothing happened. I think I'm better off just taking it back and swapping it for a router - am I right in thinking that I just need to plug it into the modem and it should work fine?
thanks very much by the way!

if you have cable, you have to setup the router (MAC address must be cloned) and wireless password should be set

sounds like you may have to setup the adapter. normally just plugging it into your computer isnt enough. did you get instructions with it?

yeah but it just said plop in the cd and follow the steps on there, which was just installing the driver. at the moment im doing that network wizard thing that you suggested - i cant test it out at the moment (good film on telly!) but ill try connecting again asap and let you know

if it doesnt work, try to get the latest drivers from the manufaturers website. i know it came with a cd, but they could have updated it between the time it left the factory and now.

theres nothing new on the driver front
i think i may have just bought the wrong thing- no new access points came up- after all, this thing is built to receive a signal, not send it
anyway, the router i have found is the same price as the adapter, so itll be no trouble swapping it
i dont know- all this technology!

Back