Is it possible to get a wireless connection like this?

BrianWilde

WiiChat Member
Oct 24, 2007
So, I bought my Wii yesterday and got home excited to just mess around in the weather and news menu, etc... and to my surprise, there was no direct port for an ethernet cable. I don't have extra money to buy the adapter yet and I don't have a wireless modem.

I'm wodering if it's possible to connect it like this:

My computer has a wireless LAN built into it and it's possible to create WPA-2 Personal connection (this shares a connection/file shares with computer close by.) Can the Wii connect to my computer's internet like this? I'm trying to get it to work but keep getting an error code saying it can't find the passage way, but it recognizes it as a good connection when it searches for connections... Anyone have a definant answer for this or know how to tell me to connect through my computer's wireless LAN?

You need to setup Internet Connection Sharing in Windows to make that work, and yes it will work once you have that setup right.

Even on Vista?

I just bought the USB Wi-Fi connection and get home to find it's not compatible with Vista... WTF Nintendo, get with the times...

All versions of Windows need ICS configured in order to act as a router/NAT machine (which is what your trying to do). Even the USB wifi adapter uses ICS (which is why it is taking so long for a Vista version, Vista changed Windows networking in a huge way)

Ok, so I went and bought a Wireless Router (Belkin 54G) and got it networked with my PC and my Wii. Doing the system update at the moment, sooo.... for now I'm connected and hopefully will continue to be pleased with the Wii.

Back