Is Metroid like Nintendos version of Halo?

Yup, It's Like Nintendo's Halo. Metroid Offers Great Graphics and an Expanded Story in Which Metroid Truly Shows OFF it's Nintendo Colors.

Krusnik said:
it should really be more like
"Is Halo Microsofts version of Metroid?"

But anyways like people said, Halo=FPS, Metroid=Action/Adventure so yeah there different but they have kinda the same point. (As in killing aliens)
let me do some date checks
AHHH Yes.
technically, metroid did come before halo
BUT
metroid didnt because a First-Person game until Metroid Prime, which came out AFTER halo. so his thread title is just fine. the gamecube had poor sells compared to the xbox and ps2. it is easy to assume that in response to killer-app halo, nintendo looked back at their franchises to see if any could become a first person shooter to tackle halo, thus metroid became one.

actually metroid prime was in delvelopment during the time halo was. halo was released at the launch and prime was release about a year later. it took more than a year to make prime so they were made on over lapping times. so, metroid is not nintendo's answer to halo, it was an original idea not just a copy cat of halo.

gingerkid said:
actually metroid prime was in delvelopment during the time halo was. halo was released at the launch and prime was release about a year later. it took more than a year to make prime so they were made on over lapping times. so, metroid is not nintendo's answer to halo, it was an original idea not just a copy cat of halo.
halo was shown before and came out a year earlier, also, halo has been in development since 1999.
actually, WOW, i just found this little piece of info that might actually make my statement true. look here from wikipedia: First it was in third-person perspective, but Miyamoto made them change the perspective to first-person, causing almost everything already developed to be scrapped.
o_O
Miyamoto "made" them change

ahh but i just looked over the metroid prime 1 controls. innovations from halo did not cross over into this game, which i thought they did...man..thats a weird control scheme..

Last edited:
Sovieto said:
halo was shown before and came out a year earlier, also, halo has been in development since 1999.
actually, WOW, i just found this little piece of info that might actually make my statement true. look here from wikipedia: First it was in third-person perspective, but Miyamoto made them change the perspective to first-person, causing almost everything already developed to be scrapped.
o_O
Miyamoto "made" them change

ahh but i just looked over the metroid prime 1 controls. innovations from halo did not cross over into this game, which i thought they did...man..thats a weird control scheme..
Good for Miyamoto!:lol:

Speaking of wikipedia and Halo's development, check this out. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Combat_Evolved

"At E3 2000, the first trailer of Halo was well-received.[55] The version shown there differed greatly from the one exhibited previously, marking the first major overhaul in the game's development.[56] At this point, Halo was a third-person action game, in which a transport starship crashlands on a mysterious ring world that orbits a star."

And later:

"In accordance with rumors,[59] Microsoft announced on June 19, 2000 that it had acquired Bungie Studios.[60] Halo became an exclusive game for Microsoft's Xbox video game console, and Bungie Studios rewrote the game's engine, heavily altering its presentation and turning it into a first-person shooter"

From the Metroid Prime wikipedia page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_Prime:

"After establishing their offices in Austin, Texas in 1999, Retro received five game ideas for the future GameCube, among them a new Metroid.[13] Nintendo members, such as Shigeru Miyamoto, Kensuke Tanabe and Kenji Miki, as well as Metroid designer Yoshio Sakamoto, that communicated with Texas through emails, monthly phone conferences and several personal gatherings. First it was in third-person perspective, but Miyamoto made them change the perspective to first-person, causing almost everything already developed to be scrapped"

Sounds as if Prime might have been switched to first person before Halo, or even at the same time. It does not appear to have happened after Halo was switched. Nice job of making an assumption about something rather than actually researching it.

ericlewis91 said:
Is Metroid like Nintendos version of Halo?..i watched the videos on the demo channel and it seems like halo but Nintendos version? is this the point? and how its like? i love halo..cant wait for the 3rd

I sure as hell hope so. I don't like the backtracking/puzzle nature of previous Metroids. I just want to run and gun with the wiimote. Here's to hoping MP3 is like halo in every way (with the addition of the wiimote).

nevr compare halo with metroid.... Halo, is good, i like it, its a good shooter, even though the levels are fun to go bak and do. But the game can be beaten really really fast with all the stuff, you can beat halo in less than 12 hours, even beginner players can. Metroid...The prime games can take up too over 2 weeks or even a month to complete. But if you want to get everything in metroid, the data, and equipment, that might take 1-2 extra months.

in halo you are ordered to go to certain places, like it or not. But metroid, you can just go where you need to go anytime, or you can do something else and save it for later.

IcedEarth81 said:
"After establishing their offices in Austin, Texas in 1999, Retro received five game ideas for the future GameCube, among them a new Metroid.[13] Nintendo members, such as Shigeru Miyamoto, Kensuke Tanabe and Kenji Miki, as well as Metroid designer Yoshio Sakamoto, that communicated with Texas through emails, monthly phone conferences and several personal gatherings. First it was in third-person perspective, but Miyamoto made them change the perspective to first-person, causing almost everything already developed to be scrapped"

Sounds as if Prime might have been switched to first person before Halo, or even at the same time. It does not appear to have happened after Halo was switched. Nice job of making an assumption about something rather than actually researching it.

Their offices were established in 1999. No word on when in 1999. After that, Nintendo weeded through 5 game ideas through apparently several monthly conferences and gatherings. It's REALLY hard to come up with a timeline that has the list being discussed, MP rising to the top of the list, getting partially developed, undergoing review, and getting scrapped for a different perspective all before Halo showed.

That doesn't mean it was the basis for the change, but your quote does nothing to disprove Sovieto's suggestion that Halo influenced Prime's development. If you're going to get smug about people's research skills, bring your A game.

Halo was being developed as a 3rd person game at the same time that Prime was. They were changed around the same time, probably Prime first, but at the very least around the same time. Sovieto was claiming that Prime was changed in reaction to Halo being developed but there is zero evidence of that.

And yes, I will question his research skills because he assumed that since Halo came out first it went into development way before Prime, which is proven false by the links and quotes I provided.

who cares to me halo 1 + 2 were pretty average shooters where in 1 mission of 1 it lasted about an hour of running through dark corridoors repeating the exact same (but not same place) settings it sucked ass.

anyway never playe prime series but they sound good.

Back