Is my Wii defective???

venusfan

WiiChat Member
Jan 7, 2007
I got my Wii today at bestbuy and came home and just set it up. When I turn it on it ask me to press A to continue when I press it on the wiimote it then goes on a page to select language with English highlighted. When I cleck the A botton again nothing happens. The Wiimote cease to do anything, it's like a frozen computer when you press any botton and nothing wont happen. I've turned it off and on, did the sync twice but it still comes back and gets frozen on the select the language screen. So you all think it's a bad Wii.. more or less I'll be returning it today anyway as right now I'm very put off by the Wii because I waited in line close to 45 mins to get it.

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear about that. I would call your store as soon as possible, maybe, just maybe they can replace it today....

Try unplugging it from the power brick for about a minute or two, then turn it back on. Try that and give it some more time on the initial boot, it may have some software corruption if you weren't patient on the initial setup, but I haven't heard of any similar issues to this. Keep us updated on your progress.

the only things I didn't hookup was the nunchuck and a piece of wire attacted to a cardboard thing but the remote does work because I use it to turn on the wii and to press that A button but on the next screen it just freezes, dead as a doornob. I am really not happy now as I spent over $300 including the 2yr replacement plan on this today. This is why people you're not to buy things off peopleon the street because if I did I would be screwed right now.

Possible fix from Nintendo...

Check this out:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_la/ts/wiiremote.jsp#language

In summary, it's probably the sensor bar.

If your screen appears frozen at the Language select screen, we have found that to be related to the Sensor Bar. Please try the following:

1. Ensure that the Sensor Bar cord is plugged to the back of the console, and is placed properly at the center of your TV screen. For detailed directions on setting up the Sensor Bar, please click here.

2. Check to be sure the Wii Remote is synced to the console, by using the Power button on the Wii Remote to turn the console on. (The power button is the small white button with the red symbol in the top-left corner, just above the Control Pad). If this doesn't work, try to sync the Wii Remote. Once synced, try to turn the power on the console on and check for proper response.

3. Make sure that the Wii Remote is being used between 3' and 10' directly in front of the TV and that there are no bright light sources affecting the Wii Remote's operation (review Game Play Guidelines for more information), and that the Sensor Bar is placed properly (see Sensor Bar setup). Avoid sources of infrared light in the gameplay area such as electric, propane or kerosene heaters, flames from fireplaces or candles, and stoves or other sources of heat.

If you are still experiencing problems after trying the steps above, then your Wii console or Sensor Bar will need to be repaired. Please click here for repair options.

I already packed it up to go back to bestbuy but let me try what tuned suggested.

OK I connect it back up and everything and the same thing happened. I turn it on with the remote and it ask me to press A which I did. On the next screen it ask to select language and English is highlighted. I pressed and and nothing happened. I pressed all the buttons on the remote including power and nothing happens. It just freezes on the language selection screen. I'm off to bestbuy now.

venusfan said:
OK I connect it back up and everything and the same thing happened. I turn it on with the remote and it ask me to press A which I did. On the next screen it ask to select language and English is highlighted. I pressed and and nothing happened. I pressed all the buttons on the remote including power and nothing happens. It just freezes on the language selection screen. I'm off to bestbuy now.

TRY THE NINTENDO FIX!!!!

Please at least try it, it took me a while to look that up! :frown2:

Last edited:
But he already confirmed the sensor bar works (managed to navigate through the menu for configuration), and his distance was fine (able to navigate to a certain point) and it was synced (or so he tells us). So i'd do the same, off to POS and replace the system... I hope they have a replacement for you considering how they're flying off shelves here in Hamilton. Keep us updated.

Ok everyone I am so so stupid. I thought the sensor bar was plugged it but it wasn't and that was the fault. I'm very sorry for that because right now it's working after I plugged in the sensor bar and attached it atop my tv. Thanks for all your help and I've very greatful. It's working now and will enjoy my WII before football. Thanks everyone

Back