Is Nintendo Serious About Online?

laderer5

Wii > Xbox360 +PS3
Feb 20, 2007
Buffalo NY
Wii Online Code
6636-1630-0874-1365
Voice your opinion and discuss wether Nintendo is trying their best or just trying to put out the least amount of effort into making online for the Wii.

:IMO: I see Nintendo is not really trying to implement online successfully into their games. 1 point is that their friend codes are just a bunch of crap. Little kids should have parental control or shouldnt even be buying games rated T or M. Allow Friend codes for Pokemon ect.
I hope they clean up their act and release a headset and perfect Brawl's online before it comes out.

Ninty is obviously not putting 100% effort into online stuff. However, it's still there for the people who want to use it. I personally couldn't care less about online stuff, but i know there is a lot of gamers who like to play online.

I think if Ninty want to keep up their success then they should focus more on online play.

I'd be more mad if their online service wasn't free. You know, some of us don't have jobs, yet. With all those online perks comes the money needed to maintain them.

All the money I DO make needs to go towards the games. I had to trade in Resident Evil 4 and Super Paper Mario to get Super Mario Galaxy! I wouldn't be able to afford Nintenlive.

But, if the online remained free... That's another story.

I find it frustrating that so many games come out simultaneously for the XBox 360 and PS3 and Wii, and will advertise "Online play for the Xbox and Playstation versions" implying "but not for you poor Wii users". I mean, what the hell? It's obviously there in the game, obviously the developer wants to offer it. Why is Nintendo being such a roadblock here? LEGO Star Wars comes to mind... just watch the trailer on IGN.

The Wii has online ability. Nintendo needs to stop being a jerk and let it happen.

I don't think so.

And it's unfortunate. I really enjoy playing games online, and that's where the 360 and even the PS3 exceed the Wii substantially.

I really enjoy the gameplay of the Wii, but until they come out with some impressive online play - I'm not going to be bragging about it to my xbox friends.

Right now, online play isn't high on my list. I can take it or leave it. I've had MOHH2 for like a week now and haven't gone online with it yet. Of course, I also picked up Galaxy, Zack and Wiki, and RE:UC all at about the same time.

From what I see, though, online play caters more to the hardcore gamer than it would to the casual one. Since the system is still being targeted to the casual gamer, online capabilities have taken a back seat.

Online is not essential to the longevity of this system, period. It would help boost sales a bit, but right now they really don't need it. I can see it happening in the future, but it's never going to be as prolific as it is for the 360 and PS3.

i think brawl will be a good indicator of where nintendo REALLY wants to take their online gaming. until this happens, or some third party does the one two punch of an actual solid game with stellar online gameplay, then i think nintendo will continue on the path its on. however i dont see how its possible to have brawl be such a massive title and not have good online, sans friend codes, and how can they expect to have FC's when their boasting 16 player online races for mario kart?? something's gotta give.

I disagree. We are an online, interconnected society now. Online is essential to the longevity of the system, from both a perception standpoint and a practical one. People are asking for it, and getting louder and louder.

Also, online increases the longevity of a given game. Being online allows for unlimited replayability with continuously varied opponents/scenarios. It's in the interest of game makers to have every game entrench itself into the mindshare of users as much as possible before they make the sequel. Online allows for this. Granted not every game lends itself to online, but many do. I live alone... I'd rather play Mario Party 8 against random online humans than the game's built-in AI any day. A generic FPS mode of Metroid Prime 3 would be interesting and make the game valuable even once I complete it. The list goes on.

Online for the wii will continue to suck as long as it remains free. Meaning we'll have to pay them to perfect it.

not true.
gt though.
itll be free and good soon.
mohh2 is the first step.

craigkillercraig said:
Online for the wii will continue to suck as long as it remains free. Meaning we'll have to pay them to perfect it.
I disagree, Nintendo is making so much money, especially with the VC and all that.

Online just isn't one of their biggest priorities. They are still making a solid effort though. I'm fairly happy with the online actually. I really don't mind typing in a # to play w/ my friends, I'm not thaaat lazy.

vashivihan said:
they are getting srious about it. we have mohh2 which is a great game online....anyone agree with me?

No. MOHH2 was made in spite of NoA. George Harrison spent as much time as possible saying Wii owners didn't want aggressive online games, which led to less 3rd party investment (since they figured the VP of Marketing at Nintendo probably knew what he was talking about), which led to players regarding the Wii as a kiddie device (since the library suffered from lack of hardcore investment) which led an actual shrink in the size of the hardcore audience (since they now count on other platforms to scratch their itch for hardcore gaming).

They're having plenty of financial success on their casual-centric strategy, and they don't care about us. If we get what we want, it'll be because a 3rd party stepped up.

Friend Codes have been around for years, and they're probably not going anywhere as far as 1st party games are concerned. If MOHH2 is a huge sales success (unlikely), it could spur other 3rd parties to follow their FC-free path. A wii headset is likely, once Nintendo releases a 1st party game that they feel will benefit from it (I expect it to be released when Mario Kart hits)--but it will will be of limited use unless more mature 3rd party titles implement it.

Jake said:
I really don't mind typing in a # to play w/ my friends, I'm not thaaat lazy.

I'm the only person I know with a Wii. And I bought my Wii to play, not to work. When I get on to play, I just want to play, not go mining the net for FCs. Kids have time to do that, heck, I think they enjoy it. I don't on both counts.

Last edited:
Back