Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

is religion real ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JonRyan, Jan 30, 2009.

1. JonRyan

JonRyan Poe Hunter

Wii Friend Code: 3549-0591-6488-6338
    3549-0591-6488-6338
    religion is one of the most influentual things in peoples lives, no argument there, but is it even real or is it people who just need something to believe in as a cooping mechanism to hold not only their sanity but their view that this world isn't as messed up as it is.

i'll leave it here so someone else can state what they think/believe.

2. Boethiah

Boethiah Sam I Am

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Simple answer? Probably not.

Karl Marx once said that religion was the opium for the masses. Is this necessarily an insult? No. During his time, opium was the only pain killer available. So, simply put, religion makes life more manageable for the average person. It would be ignorant to assume that all religions offer the same promises. Not all religions necessarily offer salvation, for starters.

Why do we have religion? Well, one may argue that religion is apart of the human psyche. This is false. For an example, the common cold exists because the respiratory system in the human body offers a suitable environment for it. One can remember a song in their head because the human brain has cells dedicated for such memory. If one lived in an insulated area devoid of the common cold and music, then those ideas would never enter the human brain. The same is true with religion.

The origin of religion is simply a logical explanation for people without scientific evidence. To certain religions, such powers like thunder and lightning are unable to be caused by humans, and those humans realize the animals are less intelligent than them. Therefore, they must assume a higher being is making the thunder and lightning.

It's all really logical, if you have no means of explaining something scientifically.

EDIT: Please don't flame me, if you're going to debate, debate. I don't want to burn.

#2 Boethiah, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  3. JonRyan

JonRyan Poe Hunter

3549-0591-6488-6338
    i totally agree with you.
    its not easy living in a corrupt world with sooo much pain and agony, so they need something to ease that.
    however i do believe that people can be smart and realize that religion is false.

not only that there are too many things that can prove religion is false and i don't know anyone who can prove religion true.

4. LeWaffles

LeWaffles CUSTOM

Many scientists believe in religion including Stephen Hawking, who by the way is higher than a genius.

5. Boethiah

Boethiah Sam I Am

0000-0000-0000-0000
    So? Just because they believe in god(s) despite the obvious lack of evidence, everyone else should?

They made their choice. There really isn't any proof to show any religion true. Just because Stephen Hawking is a theist ( Which I'll have to verify on my own, I'm unaware with Stephen Hawking's general life) doesn't mean we all should.

6. Syntax

Syntax That Canucks Fan

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0001
    0000-0000-0000-0001
    Having a single person believe in something does not mean it's true or set in stone.

With that being said, I'm going to be stepping back out.

7. JonRyan

JonRyan Poe Hunter

3549-0591-6488-6338
    dude i am not even going to dignify that with a response.
    you have to some type of fact or else every will just ignore or laugh at you.

8. LeWaffles

LeWaffles CUSTOM

First off before acting like a smart ass i was countering his point, jonny. And unfortunately for you DID just dignify that with a response, a rather stupid and unnecessary one.
    well i took this Anthropology class in my college and they give three explanations for religion.

there is
    Cognitive-which is to simply explain something
    Psychological-which is to comfort
    and Sociological-to tame society

In short all of the explanations had a lot of short coming. It could be a combination, it could be something else. But the reason for religion wasn't really the question.
    I don't know if it is or isn't yet but I think it is definitely possible. Its hard to make judgements when we only know the world before us.

9. Boethiah

Boethiah Sam I Am

0000-0000-0000-0000
    Religion is a creation of society. Society does not need religion, but religion needs society. ( Obviously)

We have to draw facts from the world around us. Otherwise, we would be in an indefinite state of unsureness. We would not advance. If there is no evidence of a god in the world around us, we should see no reason to believe there is.

10. JonRyan

JonRyan Poe Hunter

3549-0591-6488-6338
    that's true but based on what we do know i am 100 percent sure that religion is completely fabricated and until someone can prove otherwise i will continue to think that.

11. LeWaffles

LeWaffles CUSTOM

well man, its up to you to decide whether you believe in it or not. I'm not trying to preach because i don't consider myself religious. But You may find some reason someday.

12. JonRyan

JonRyan Poe Hunter

3549-0591-6488-6338
    no i wont because i am strong enough to know that just because something is easier its not right because i know that i don't need reinsurance to prove my life has value.
    i know you aren't preaching but this thread is about proving or disproving religion and if you believe in Christianity or anything I'd expect you to fight for your beliefs.

13. Boethiah

Boethiah Sam I Am

0000-0000-0000-0000
    Well, if you're out to disprove religion, good luck. There's no evidence against religion, so we really can't disprove it. To disprove something, we need conclusive evidence against something. Religion is in a perpetual state of maybe right now.

That's why religion threads are particularly hard to debate. You can only really state your opinion, and that's about it.

14. lbu8

lbu8 O'Doyle Rules

0000-0000-0000-0000
    I am a christian and therefore believe in god and the bible. I really don't go to church that much, and I think I fall into that group of people who believe, but don't really practice it. I pray when I think of it, but it isn't a daily thing for me, but I do try to thank god on a regular basis for my life.

Also, part of me wants to believe in religion because I want there to be a heaven. I don't want to be reborn as a tree, or become part of the earth. I want to continue my life after death.

15. JonRyan

JonRyan Poe Hunter

3549-0591-6488-6338
    well seeing how people traced the 4 original people who gave credit to the bible and 2 didn't excist, one died at 4 and the last was a rapist that is enough for me.
    also i didn't say i was trying to disprove religion i said that is the debate topic of this thread get your facts straight. also if 89 percent of all religion is exactly the same how can you even believe it??
    its an astrological hybrid belief. look up zeithgiest the move on google if you don't believe me.
    i don't care what others believe if it make them happy all the power to them but i would never betray myself by believing in something just to be happy or believing in something that is just pure lies.

(didn't mean to offend anyone if that is how you felt when you read this.)

16. DRMARIO

DRMARIO Controversial.

0000-0000-0000-0000
    Asking if religion is real, is like asking if Christianity and Judaism are real. Of course they are.

The actual question is, is what they believe in real?

I have quite an odd stance when it comes to religion, which I won't go into now. To put it simply, I don't believe there is a god. I believe that everything came from nothing, and a series of coincidences formed the earth and of course, evolution of life.

I don't see how that seems infeasible. It makes much more sense than a magic man in the sky with sandles did it.

17. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member Moderator

Wii Friend Code: 8041-7231-3447-6164
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Religion is real
    The almighty being that they believe in is as real as Superman

I think it was on QI that I heard this
    Wouldn't it be annoying if you got up to heaven and your god turned over a card and it said "Bluff"
    I believe that Lemmy is real
    I HAVE SAW HIM

18. Napalmbrain

Napalmbrain WiiChat Member

I'm an atheist myself, because I've yet to see any good evidence for the existence of a God.

Who told you that? Hawking is a well known atheist, as are most of the prominent scientists of the past 100 years.

19. King Wiired

King Wiired HITLER ME JEZ

Wii Friend Code: 8756-4872-6334-8478
    8756-4872-6334-8478
    I believe there is a God (christianity-wise), however I don't believe in all the 'stories' in the bible, or at least the way they've been written. It just seems as though a bloke named Jesus was done the pub once, and thought it'd be a good idea to write a story about how great he was and distribute it to people.
    However, I'm not one of those 'rule abiding/church going/bible reading' christians, I just believe there is a God who created the basis of everything, and that there is an afterlife - that's pretty much it really.
    I used to be sure when I was younger, but because I use logic in EVERYTHING, and there's nothing scientifically logical about this situation, it makes me a bit skeptical; though I continue to believe.
    I mean, my grandparents were such strong Christians (ironically 9 years ago my G-dad died today, much love) that I refuse to believe that they haven't gone to heaven, y'know?
    So yeah, I recon religion is very much based on hope. You see people who have had their families killed or whatever, and they get through it as they turn to religion.
    Is religion real? I couldn't say. Is religion a bad thing? It most circumstances, **** no.

20. BlueWhistler

BlueWhistler Not normal member

Wii Friend Code: 1798-1973-5886-5281
    1798-1973-5886-5281
    I can't imagine a computer being made by just putting all the elements in a box and then shaking it until it becomes a fully operational computer!

The same go's for lifeforms,

I don't believe any life form can be made by random attachment of molecular small cells.

Instead its more obvious that an engineer(someone who knows how the parts work and what they are) puts all the elements/parts in the right place for the computer to even work. Design(pen&paper:code's & form), knowledge(What&how), understanding(Rules&process follow), creative(mouse,screen,keyboard,...),...!

The complexity of any lifeforms or element we know of and not know of is certainly not a random collisions of cells or evolution in time. And more proves that there is One God = Intelligent Designer Who made everything and knows how it all works.

Which will get me to your question Is religion real?

There are true and false religions.

True: religion that believes in on creator of all
    Fals: man-made statues as gods, multi gods, Greek gods, Sun, stars or moon or mountains, etc....

When you read the bible or the koran, you understand that what is written there isn't written by men themselves, there's just now way men can think or Wright that way.

People are free to chose what they want, and I respect that. But everyone must respect basic rules to keep everything in line! starting with the 10 commands

#20 BlueWhistler, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009