is religion real ?

JonRyan

Poe Hunter
Jan 25, 2009
california more specific pico rivera
Wii Online Code
3549-0591-6488-6338
religion is one of the most influentual things in peoples lives, no argument there, but is it even real or is it people who just need something to believe in as a cooping mechanism to hold not only their sanity but their view that this world isn't as messed up as it is.

i'll leave it here so someone else can state what they think/believe.

Simple answer? Probably not.

Karl Marx once said that religion was the opium for the masses. Is this necessarily an insult? No. During his time, opium was the only pain killer available. So, simply put, religion makes life more manageable for the average person. It would be ignorant to assume that all religions offer the same promises. Not all religions necessarily offer salvation, for starters.

Why do we have religion? Well, one may argue that religion is apart of the human psyche. This is false. For an example, the common cold exists because the respiratory system in the human body offers a suitable environment for it. One can remember a song in their head because the human brain has cells dedicated for such memory. If one lived in an insulated area devoid of the common cold and music, then those ideas would never enter the human brain. The same is true with religion.

The origin of religion is simply a logical explanation for people without scientific evidence. To certain religions, such powers like thunder and lightning are unable to be caused by humans, and those humans realize the animals are less intelligent than them. Therefore, they must assume a higher being is making the thunder and lightning.

It's all really logical, if you have no means of explaining something scientifically.

EDIT: Please don't flame me, if you're going to debate, debate. I don't want to burn.

Last edited:
i totally agree with you.
its not easy living in a corrupt world with sooo much pain and agony, so they need something to ease that.
however i do believe that people can be smart and realize that religion is false.

not only that there are too many things that can prove religion is false and i don't know anyone who can prove religion true.

Simple answer? Probably not.

Karl Marx once said that religion was the opium for the masses. Is this necessarily an insult? No. During his time, opium was the only pain killer available. So, simply put, religion makes life more manageable for the average person. It would be ignorant to assume that all religions offer the same promises. Not all religions necessarily offer salvation, for starters.

Why do we have religion? Well, one may argue that religion is apart of the human psyche. This is false. For an example, the common cold exists because the respiratory system in the human body offers a suitable environment for it. One can remember a song in their head because the human brain has cells dedicated for such memory. If one lived in an insulated area devoid of the common cold and music, then those ideas would never enter the human brain. The same is true with religion.

The origin of religion is simply a logical explanation for people without scientific evidence. To certain religions, such powers like thunder and lightning are unable to be caused by humans, and those humans realize the animals are less intelligent than them. Therefore, they must assume a higher being is making the thunder and lightning.

It's all really logical, if you have no means of explaining something scientifically.

EDIT: Please don't flame me, if you're going to debate, debate. I don't want to burn.

Many scientists believe in religion including Stephen Hawking, who by the way is higher than a genius.

Many scientists believe in religion including Stephen Hawking, who by the way is higher than a genius.

So? Just because they believe in god(s) despite the obvious lack of evidence, everyone else should?

They made their choice. There really isn't any proof to show any religion true. Just because Stephen Hawking is a theist ( Which I'll have to verify on my own, I'm unaware with Stephen Hawking's general life) doesn't mean we all should.

Having a single person believe in something does not mean it's true or set in stone.

With that being said, I'm going to be stepping back out.

dude i am not even going to dignify that with a response.
you have to some type of fact or else every will just ignore or laugh at you.

First off before acting like a smart ass i was countering his point, jonny. And unfortunately for you DID just dignify that with a response, a rather stupid and unnecessary one.
well i took this Anthropology class in my college and they give three explanations for religion.

there is
Cognitive-which is to simply explain something
Psychological-which is to comfort
and Sociological-to tame society

In short all of the explanations had a lot of short coming. It could be a combination, it could be something else. But the reason for religion wasn't really the question.
I don't know if it is or isn't yet but I think it is definitely possible. Its hard to make judgements when we only know the world before us.

well i took this Anthropology class in my college and they give three explanations for religion.

there is
Cognitive-which is to simply explain something
Psychological-which is to comfort
and Sociological-to tame society

In short all of the explanations had a lot of short coming. It could be a combination, it could be something else. But the reason for religion wasn't really the question.
I don't know if it is or isn't yet but I think it is definitely possible. Its hard to make judgements when we only know the world before us.

Religion is a creation of society. Society does not need religion, but religion needs society. ( Obviously)

We have to draw facts from the world around us. Otherwise, we would be in an indefinite state of unsureness. We would not advance. If there is no evidence of a god in the world around us, we should see no reason to believe there is.

that's true but based on what we do know i am 100 percent sure that religion is completely fabricated and until someone can prove otherwise i will continue to think that.

well man, its up to you to decide whether you believe in it or not. I'm not trying to preach because i don't consider myself religious. But You may find some reason someday.

no i wont because i am strong enough to know that just because something is easier its not right because i know that i don't need reinsurance to prove my life has value.
i know you aren't preaching but this thread is about proving or disproving religion and if you believe in Christianity or anything I'd expect you to fight for your beliefs.

no i wont because i am strong enough to know that just because something is easier its not right because i know that i don't need reinsurance to prove my life has value.
i know you aren't preaching but this thread is about proving or disproving religion and if you believe in Christianity or anything I'd expect you to fight for your beliefs.

Well, if you're out to disprove religion, good luck. There's no evidence against religion, so we really can't disprove it. To disprove something, we need conclusive evidence against something. Religion is in a perpetual state of maybe right now.

That's why religion threads are particularly hard to debate. You can only really state your opinion, and that's about it.

I am a christian and therefore believe in god and the bible. I really don't go to church that much, and I think I fall into that group of people who believe, but don't really practice it. I pray when I think of it, but it isn't a daily thing for me, but I do try to thank god on a regular basis for my life.

Also, part of me wants to believe in religion because I want there to be a heaven. I don't want to be reborn as a tree, or become part of the earth. I want to continue my life after death.

Well, if you're out to disprove religion, good luck. There's no evidence against religion, so we really can't disprove it. To disprove something, we need conclusive evidence against something. Religion is in a perpetual state of maybe right now.

That's why religion threads are particularly hard to debate. You can only really state your opinion, and that's about it.

well seeing how people traced the 4 original people who gave credit to the bible and 2 didn't excist, one died at 4 and the last was a rapist that is enough for me.
also i didn't say i was trying to disprove religion i said that is the debate topic of this thread get your facts straight. also if 89 percent of all religion is exactly the same how can you even believe it??
its an astrological hybrid belief. look up zeithgiest the move on google if you don't believe me.
i don't care what others believe if it make them happy all the power to them but i would never betray myself by believing in something just to be happy or believing in something that is just pure lies.

(didn't mean to offend anyone if that is how you felt when you read this.)

Back