is religion real ?

religion = philosophy, simplified to the point where common people can easily credit daily occurences, thoughts, and actions to a divine being.

i'm atheist though, so everything i say is probably heresy.

Hell yes. No matter what, you always have to have faith.

Why do you believe in God? Simply because your parents brought you up to believe in it?

I don't see having faith as a good thing. Believing in something despite the lack of evidence doesn't really bode well with me.

"There's a unicorn hiding under my bed, I know it. I'm not going to bother looking at the lack of evidence, I KNOW there's a unicorn under my bed"

You listed theists that believed in multiple gods to be false? You do realize Hinduism is a polytheistic religion? How is polytheism any different from monotheism ( Despite the fact one is for multiple gods and one is for one god)

Actually, whether or not Hinduism is polytheistic is more of a matter of opinion than fact.

Hindu beliefs vary widely, with concepts of God and/or gods ranging from Panentheism, pantheism, monotheism, polytheism, and atheism with Vishnu and Shiva being the most popular deities

But I agree with your point.

Why do you believe in God? Simply because your parents brought you up to believe in it?

Well, for me, my religion bears many advantages for me, irregardless of whether or not it is the truth. For a start, it helps me get the best grades in my theology classes. Secondly, my Church is a predominantly young community, and helps me to make new friends and be invited to special events, parties etc. Thirdly, it gives me strength and hope when I'm down. For me, being a theist bears lots more advantages than being an atheist.

Well, for me, my religion bears many advantages for me, irregardless of whether or not it is the truth. For a start, it helps me get the best grades in my theology classes. Secondly, my Church is a predominantly young community, and helps me to make new friends and be invited to special events, parties etc. Thirdly, it gives me strength and hope when I'm down. For me, being a theist bears lots more advantages than being an atheist.
I wouldn't call those things advantages of religion. I mean, you can learn a lot about a religion without having to believe it, and I as an atheist have friends anyway. I certainly can't argue with you gaining strength and hope from your religion, but it's not like atheism is all despair and hopelessness. Heck, in some ways it makes me feel better than I might otherwise be as a religious person.

You make us Atheists sound like a bunch of sad sacks! :D

Believing in something for the sake of potentially false hope might not be the best thing to believe in to some people. But to each his own I suppose.

second i have more faith than anyone i know, or met, but its not in religion its in me.
i have faith in myself because i am loyal to myself. i don't need help cooping with the world because of how messed up it is. instead i make change, good change and not for god for me.

i'm fine with the idea knowing that there isn't an after life infact i look forward to it. i will finally be at peace and have no worries just rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
You make us Atheists sound like a bunch of sad sacks! :D

Believing in something for the sake of potentially false hope might not be the best thing to believe in to some people. But to each his own I suppose.

Oh no... I didn't mean to make you out to be sad! I was just saying that, for me, being religious is actually better than not being religious. That may be entirely different for you and other people, but for me, my religion is actually an advantage.

You chose a poor word.
Dictionary.com said:
Religion: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe.
Religion is obviously "real" regardless of whether the beliefs that religious people hold are real or not.

Yes I believe in Christianity.......Now Christianity is a faith based religion meaning that you don't see it to believe it......you just have to know its real...........also i've heard that the Bible is one of the only books out there that hasn't been scientifically disproven as well as there are scientists finding clues ,geologically speaking, that have Biblical backgrounds....website: http://www.answersingenesis.org/.............with all that said I'm not saying you have to believe.......This is just what I believe

first i don't appreciate you coming on this thread and just stating your religion and saying you love god. we really don't care this is about debating religion and if it is real. which you haven't and if your not leave.

second i have more faith than anyone i know, or met, but its not in religion its in me.
i have faith in myself because i am loyal to myself. i don't need help cooping with the world because of how messed up it is. instead i make change, good change and not for god for me.

i am a good person for me not my religion, i hate that christianity wants you to do everything for god, try doing something for your f***ing self. when people say "oh thank god" no its thank me for working so hard to accomplish what i have, thank humanity for the good that has happened because god has nothing to do with it, after he gave us free will right? so if he did do something to help that would be tampering with free will itself.

i'm fine with the idea knowing that there isn't an after life infact i look forward to it. i will finally be at peace and have no worries just rest.

Are you okay? o_o It sounds to me like you hate anyone and anything Christian. It isn't good to hate people for such trivial reasons.

thaat was already established.
read the other pages before you post.

Oh boy, are you a thickie. First you create some stupid title pondering whether or not religion is real (may as well ask whether or notscience is 'real'), but then you go onto slate members who don't have the time (unlike yourself) to read all the posts in this thread.

religion is an advantage for those who don't hold integrity because they go to something to reassure themselves their lives aren't being wasted.

I didn't say that, you assuming little moron. Seriously, I pity your half-a-brain cell, because it's going to die lonely.

Lets keep personal attacks from both sides to ourselves. JohnRyan, you are being increasingly arrogant. People are entitled to their opinion. They aren't weak people, or bad people, or evil people.

Back