is religion real ?

I'm an atheist myself, because I've yet to see any good evidence for the existence of a God.

Who told you that? Hawking is a well known atheist, as are most of the prominent scientists of the past 100 years.

didn't look a lot into it but
"I thought I had left the question of the existence of a Supreme Being completely open. . . It would be perfectly consistent with all we know to say that there was a Being who was responsible for all the laws of physics."

I know/heard that most quantum physicists believe in some sort of creator. It makes room for a heaven and a God, when you read string theory's dimensions aspect.

by JonRyan
dude i am not even going to dignify that with a response.
you have to some type of fact or else every will just ignore or laugh at you.
Not the least bit arrogant, who the **** are you?? really.

Last edited:
wth all i am saying is i don't like useless posts. expressing what you believe isn't what this thread about.
also i do not hate anyone belonging to any religion, i have many friends and family who are die hard Christians. i didn't disrespect anyone's beliefs i simply stated mine.
also i am getting tired of people not providing a debating post seeing how thats what this thread is about.

i also already said that if you are happy with your beliefs then you shouldn't care what others think and simply go on being happy. for those who called me arrogant that was simply retarded cause all i did was say my beliefs.

edit: ha ha and die being lonely yeah right. i have someone and we are both happy. been together about 9 months now , also i never called anyone weak or evil what the hell stop trying to portray me as the a dick cause i didn't say that.

2nd edit: also how am i arrogant for trying to get people to better themselves for themselves?

last edit: also i do apologize if anyone was hurt. didn't mean to hurt anyone like the post said.

Last edited:
didn't look a lot into it but
"I thought I had left the question of the existence of a Supreme Being completely open. . . It would be perfectly consistent with all we know to say that there was a Being who was responsible for all the laws of physics."

I know/heard that most quantum physicists believe in some sort of creator.
Not really. Modern physicists are fairly notorious for mostly being atheist and agnostic (http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/news/file002.html). In the field of quantum physics, for example, Dirac, Feynmann, Weinberg, and Higgs, were/are atheists.

It makes room for a heaven and a God, when you read string theory's dimensions aspect.
I think you've completely misunderstood how string theory works (I can't say I blame you though, it's a very complicated theory). The extra dimensions don't make room for any sort of heaven or hell, they're just additional spatial directions (like left/righ, up/down, forward/backward) that are too microscopic for us to percieve, but which sub-atomic particles are able to move in.

And of course, string theory has yet to be proven, nor has there been any method devised so far to prove it (ironically, a lot like religion).

wth all i am saying is i don't like useless posts. expressing what you believe isn't what this thread about.
Do you even remember what your original post said? Sigh..

religion is one of the most influentual things in peoples lives, no argument there, but is it even real or is it people who just need something to believe in as a cooping mechanism to hold not only their sanity but their view that this world isn't as messed up as it is.

i'll leave it here so someone else can state what they think/believe.

Please, just stop contradicting yourself. You are coming off as immature and ignorant. =/

Do you even remember what your original post said? Sigh..

Please, just stop contradicting yourself. You are coming off as immature and ignorant. =/

no you just just read it with wrong tone because it means that you can debate about what you believe and think.
after all it is a debating thread.
so don't insult me because you read off the wrong tone.

Lol @ this thread.

But anyway, do I believe in God? Short answer - No.
If I start seeing some evidence then maybe I would. I can't just go on faith. I need more then that. And it's not just not happening.

thank you for contributing to this thread.
i also need more than faith. i don't like that you just have to know. it almost like its supposed to be an intuition.

I have faith, but not in God. Faith doesn't necessarily mean God, or religion, it's just believing in something without relying on rational evidence. Reason can only take us so far yo.

also i do not hate anyone belonging to any religion, i have many friends and family who are die hard Christians. i didn't disrespect anyone's beliefs i simply stated mine.
also i am getting tired of people not providing a debating post seeing how thats what this thread is about.

i also already said that if you are happy with your beliefs then you shouldn't care what others think and simply go on being happy. for those who called me arrogant that was simply retarded cause all i did was say my beliefs.

edit: ha ha and die being lonely yeah right. i have someone and we are both happy. been together about 9 months now , also i never called anyone weak or evil what the hell stop trying to portray me as the a dick cause i didn't say that.

2nd edit: also how am i arrogant for trying to get people to better themselves for themselves?

last edit: also i do apologize if anyone was hurt. didn't mean to hurt anyone like the post said.

Actually, I thought this thread was expressing what you believed in. Besides, Ekuishi and AndThen?, two fellow athiests, are doing it, yet when a Christian does it? You slate them.

You've got Christian friends? I've got French friends, doesn't stop me from being any less francophobic. I love it when people go 'My friend is black/gay/Muslim/black gay Muslim' as if it makes them any less ignorant, arrogant or narrow minded. It doesn't.

Oh, and as for the die lonely bit? If you bothered to graduate High School, you'd be able to read properly, and understand that I said your half a brain cell would die lonely, not you.

Get back in the shed, you tool.

well then you should read cause i didn't say it was for expressing your beliefs its for debate., also andthen and Ekuishi didn't express they gave reason. just like i said if you aren't here to contribute to this thread then leave. i already apologized if anyone was hurt for misinterpreting my message cause the way you took was exactly the opposite of what it was meant for. having that said you'd think you'd act grown up and say ok it was just misinterpretation but no you have to go insulting. this is a forum that is supposed to try and stop flaming or preventing which you did neither.

also i can say some pretty insulting things too but i'm not going to waste my time one someone who's opinions mean almost nothing to me based on how you portrayed the way you are.

Ugh. Jon, You're really coming off as arrogant. Reread the last few pages. It's like every Christian that comes in here, you're burning, and with that, getting more arrogant.

Not only that, it seems like you're becoming more ignorant as you go as well. You're attacking religion which I don't think you fully understand at all, and then begin passing off atheism as fact.

For instance you mentioned the four authors of the bible and told something negative about each. Guess what? those four didn't write the bible at all. They passed it on by word of mouth to their 'pupils' if you want to put it that way. It got passed down again by them, until finally, someone got the idea to set the accounts of Jesus' life on paper.

As for myself, Been in Catholic School my whole life, and I'm far from the most religious guy out there.

Navarre's right. Put yourself back in the shed.

People resorting to personal insults in a religion thread...
Who would've known....

The whole "if you don't believe you go to hell" thing makes me disbelieve most religions. I don't think a person should go to hell based on making a wrong guess. I just try and be a good person, as I'm sure that's what any religion would want you to do. 'cause if God sent a person who donated millions of dollars to charity or something of that caliber to hell because they weren't his religion he'd kind of be a dick. I'd like to think of God as not being a dick if he exists.

You, sir, make sense in a thread where there is none. Thank you for that.

People resorting to personal insults in a religion thread...
Who would've known....

The whole "if you don't believe you go to hell" thing makes me disbelieve most religions. I don't think a person should go to hell based on making a wrong guess. I just try and be a good person, as I'm sure that's what any religion would want you to do. 'cause if God sent a person who donated millions of dollars to charity or something of that caliber to hell because they weren't his religion he'd kind of be a dick. I'd like to think of God as not being a dick if he exists.
That's kind of my philosophy- sort of a reverse Pascal's Wager. If I'm right and God doesn't exist, then obviously it doesn't matter if I believe in him. If he exists, and is a benelovant deity who doesn't care if you believed in him or not as long as you try to be a good person, then that's great. If God exists and demands you follow the right religion without telling you which one it is, then well, I wouldn't want to hang around with someone like that for eternity anyway.

Back