Is The Wii Fan Supposed to be This Loud?

wii12345

WiiChat Member
Dec 17, 2006
I recently purchased a wii. I notice that the fan is quite loud. Louder than my computer. Is the fan supposed to be rather loud, or is there something wrong with the console? Any ideas?

I will say this, rarely do I hear the fan on my Wii. Not sure if its a major problem for you. You do get a warranty with the purchase of the Wii, I believe. You it creates a problem take it back.

Last edited:
Only sounds I hear is when I return to the Wii's Menu from a game, and my Wii makes a loud click and about 6 'tv screens' are displayed with the Wii logo on them, im guessing this is normal, but its sounds dodgy.

No mine is very quiet even just the sound of working TV is stronger (on mute)

yeah mine also makes the loud lick when returning to the wiimenu from games, besides that, its in stealth mode :p

komio said:
yeah mine also makes the loud lick when returning to the wiimenu from games, besides that, its in stealth mode :p

Yeah same here, quiet as a mouse on crimbo eve!

wii12345 said:
I recently purchased a wii. I notice that the fan is quite loud. Louder than my computer. Is the fan supposed to be rather loud, or is there something wrong with the console? Any ideas?

The fan is quiet. However, the DVD drive may make some noise when spinning. You should try with no disc in the drive.

I thought it was a normal thing because in standby mode you can definately hear the sound of my Wii's fan, defiantely not dead silent.

yeah thts like mine

when a cd is in it gets a bit louder
no cd in its silent like a ninja

Maybe your has a problems, mine doesn't sounds at all, only when I gop to the menu screen it makes a sound.

Mine has sound, but only when playing a game, and because it's placed on my console shelf made of wood. Other than that, it should be fine. I've also found that it makes less noise if you don't use the stand, and just let it lie horizontally.

I've taken the Wii to other places too, and it's "silent as a Ninja" (as one person put it :p) there. If it gets too bad for you either place the Wii in a different spot or try taking it around a friends house to see if it's just where it's situated.

Yer on the floor made mine a lot quieter, but 10x more unsafe. Lying it flat is easier, but the Wii is far less attractive lying down ;)

Yea, when I put in a disc it's louder.

Without a disc loaded it's really quiet, but when I load a game, it gets much louder.

I barely hear my fan running at all.

This might be something you want to bring up with Nintendo's Customer Support. A fan that is really loud means that its trying to cool down something thats hotter than it should be.

Back