Is there anyone here who considers his/herself a true film buff?

andrewborn

The Cinephile
Aug 10, 2009
Goshen, Indiana.
Wii Online Code
1501-7886-1310-7503
Does anyone here consider themselves a real film buff?
Most of the posts here come from Michael-Bay-loving Adam Sandler fans...
Is there anyone here who is actually serious about movies?

I recently graduated from a University with a degree in Film Studies. So yeah.

I don't have a top 10, because there are too many films that are good, in different ways.

I have to say, it seems you like independent American cinema quite a bit (and the odd indie/Hollywood production).

Don't think I've seen Annie Hall or Bully, but I do like the others on the list.

There's so many areas of filmmaking that I can't really say which are best. I can point you in the direction of films you may like to see (depending on things like whether you don't mind subtitles).

Japanese and Asian films are similar in sensibility to American ones, in that they are mostly recommended for entertainment value, such as The Happiness of the Katakiris (musical with zombies) or Battle Royale (a great number of people love this film). Or you could go even more under the radar and go for some Chinese cinema, such as Raise the Red Lantern - quite a slow film, but quite powerful.

Then there's modern(ish) European films (rather than stuff like the French Nouvelle Vague or New Wave), such as Amelie, Run Lola Run, Das Experiment, most Almadovar films, The Edukators and Goodbye Lenin. Then there's British films which always seem to have a unique flavour to them, such as Dead Man's Shoes, This Is England, most Simon Pegg/Edgar Wright films, Danny Boyle films, etc...

Third cinema is quite good, though I can see why it can be not to many people's tastes. Bamako is quite good (about the African nations putting the western nations on trial). Then theres The Last Supper.

And there's good ol' Hollywood. Going from fairly early cinema such as Cabinet of Dr Caligari and Sunrise, through the golden age of Hollywood (Love Story and All About Eve - didn't like that one) to 60's/70's style with the likes of Easy Riders and Chinatown all the way through to 80's and beyond.

That's without going into specific genres.

I don't actually think there's inherently a nations cinema or genre that I dislike. I have very eclectic tastes when it comes to films. Heck even a few computer game adaptations, like Resident Evil (the first movie), Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat (though I did like the second one, but not for the reasons I was meant to).

I don't have a top 10, because there are too many films that are good, in different ways.

I have to say, it seems you like independent American cinema quite a bit (and the odd indie/Hollywood production).

Don't think I've seen Annie Hall or Bully, but I do like the others on the list.

There's so many areas of filmmaking that I can't really say which are best. I can point you in the direction of films you may like to see (depending on things like whether you don't mind subtitles).

Japanese and Asian films are similar in sensibility to American ones, in that they are mostly recommended for entertainment value, such as The Happiness of the Katakiris (musical with zombies) or Battle Royale (a great number of people love this film). Or you could go even more under the radar and go for some Chinese cinema, such as Raise the Red Lantern - quite a slow film, but quite powerful.

Then there's modern(ish) European films (rather than stuff like the French Nouvelle Vague or New Wave), such as Amelie, Run Lola Run, Das Experiment, most Almadovar films, The Edukators and Goodbye Lenin. Then there's British films which always seem to have a unique flavour to them, such as Dead Man's Shoes, This Is England, most Simon Pegg/Edgar Wright films, Danny Boyle films, etc...

Third cinema is quite good, though I can see why it can be not to many people's tastes. Bamako is quite good (about the African nations putting the western nations on trial). Then theres The Last Supper.

And there's good ol' Hollywood. Going from fairly early cinema such as Cabinet of Dr Caligari and Sunrise, through the golden age of Hollywood (Love Story and All About Eve - didn't like that one) to 60's/70's style with the likes of Easy Riders and Chinatown all the way through to 80's and beyond.

I don't actually think there's inherently a nations cinema or genre that I dislike. I have very eclectic tastes when it comes to films. Heck even a few computer game adaptations, like Resident Evil (the first movie), Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat (though I did like the second one, but not for the reasons I was meant to).

Hell no, I'm not put off by subtitles.
I don't know why I don't have many foreign language movies on my list...it just sort of happened that way.
I've seen most of these movies except:
Mortal Combat
Raise the Red Lantern (I rented it once, and was just too busy to watch it.)
The Edukators
Dead Man's Shoes
The Last Supper
Sunrise
Yeah, other than that I've seen them all.
I've seen way too many movies haha.

Do you consider Amelie or Run Lola Run new wave?
I guess I just don't think of them in those terms.

You didn't like All About Eve?
I loved it.
I grew up on old films like Sunset Boulevard, Vertigo, and Psycho.
Actually, I have literally seen EVERY Hitchcock film ever made, even the crappy silent ones.
That's a hell of a lot.
(Not a fan of silent cinema. Birth of a Nation was terrible, at least what I saw of it. I liked Caligari, Metropolis, and Nosferatu, but that's about it. However, my favorite silent film is The Passion of Joan of Arc, which was so massively disturbing...amazing acting for a silent film.)
I've seen the complete works of a lot of directors (or at least have seen all their major films.)
I'm currently working on Lars Von Trier.
I've seen most of: Kubrick (Killer's Kiss is, I believe, the only one left), Cronenberg, Alejandro Jodorowsky (Can't WAIT for the new film King Shot. It's got Marilyn Manson in it), Brian DePalma, Frank Capra (bit Capra fan. It happened one night was awesome), DeMille, John Waters (Cecil B. Demented ranks on my top 50 easily), Wes Anderson, Todd Solondz (Happiness!), Takashi Miike (Katakuris is great, but did you know it's a remake of the Quiet Family? I haven't seen the latter, but some people like it even better. Audition and Ichi the Killer are both crazy), Fellini, Bergman (Persona, The Seventh Seal are such wonderful films. Seventh Seal is very nihilistic, and I like that. Of course, that has been argued many times), Todd Browning (One of us! One of us! We accept you one of us!), Michael Haneke (Shoot me, but the remake of Funny Games was better), David Fincher (Benjamin Button...not a fan), Tarantino (although he now endorses Eli Roth, so I've lost some respect there haha), Soderbergh, Woody Allen (If you haven't seen Annie Hall you seriously need to. Some amazing quotes there.), Paul Thomas Anderson, David Lynch (Favorite Director ever...), John Carpenter (not the best films ever, but all entertaining), Dario Argento (**** yes!), Gus Van Sant (Elephant being probably the favorite there), Peter Weir (Picnic at Hanging Rock was the freaking best), Sofia Coppola (...did she do Virgin Suicides? Because that was amazing. Lost in Translation FTW), John Hughes (Guilty pleasure haha, favorite being the Breakfast Club), Ken Russel (The Devils is his best film), (Shymalan had so much promise...then he made lady in the water, the happening, and now the last airbender...oh jesus), Wes Craven (has some awful, awful movies, but even those are entertaining), Kevin Smith (not popular among the film buffs...), Harmony Korine (surrealism is awesome!), Larry Clark (Yes, I enjoy watching kids from the ghetto and their apathy-ridden lives...), and Ed Wood.

I don't really have many modern indie directors that i've followed other than Solondz and Wes Anderson, because most indie films are a director's only hit (so far).
I'm really into forgotten horror gems, like Alice Sweet Alice and Who Can Kill A Child?
Bully is a great film, although it's sort of an acquired taste.
Still, a great commentary on teenage apathy, and most definitely the most REALISTIC depiction of a murder ever.

Making a top ten was very difficult for me too..
And it changes every time I write it down haha.

So yeah...massive film buff.
It's pretty awesome to see someone who has probably seen as many films as I have.
The thing is...I'm a horror fan.
Yeah, film buff + horror fan is not a common combo.
But if a horror film is done right, I really, really love it.
i.e. Suspiria, The Exorcist, Sisters, Peeping Tom, Psycho, Irreversible, Cannibal Holocaust (shoot me, but I honestly think it's a well-made film, not just a laugh-fest).

Any suggestions?

Also I'm a big Asian/Japanese horror fan.
Battle Royale (well...not a horror film), A Tale of Two sisters, shutter, The Eye, Ringu, etc.
Also films like Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (The revenge trilogy includes Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, but that one sucked, and I deny it).
And Italian Giallo films.
Anything Argento, Bava, like: phenomenon (the good one), Tenebre, and Inferno.
Really, I don't dislike any nation's cinema...
Except India.
F*** Bollywood.
Seriously, F*** it.

Resident Evil was alright, the second one was terrible, the third one may have been the best in the series.
Silent Hill was OK.

Hell no, I'm not put off by subtitles.
I don't know why I don't have many foreign language movies on my list...it just sort of happened that way.
Fair enough.
I've seen most of these movies except:
Mortal Combat
Raise the Red Lantern (I rented it once, and was just too busy to watch it.)
The Edukators
Dead Man's Shoes
The Last Supper
Sunrise
Yeah, other than that I've seen them all.
I've seen way too many movies haha.
Lol. I've seen a lot too, though unlike most of the people from my old class, I'm not biased against Hollywood.

Do you consider Amelie or Run Lola Run new wave?
I guess I just don't think of them in those terms.
Nah. New Wave is very specific. Mostly Truffaut and Godard (at least for the really popular ones). I don't really agree with the new wave and auteur theory, though Hitchcock revelled in it.

You didn't like All About Eve?
I loved it.
I grew up on old films like Sunset Boulevard, Vertigo, and Psycho.
Actually, I have literally seen EVERY Hitchcock film ever made, even the crappy silent ones.
That's a hell of a lot.
I can see why it was popular, and I understand it was quite revolutionary in some senses, but I couldn't relate to any characters and thus the story kinda passed me by.

(Not a fan of silent cinema. Birth of a Nation was terrible, at least what I saw of it. I liked Caligari, Metropolis, and Nosferatu, but that's about it. However, my favorite silent film is The Passion of Joan of Arc, which was so massively disturbing...amazing acting for a silent film.)
Silent cinema was interesting, mostly for the fact that they had to work in innovative ways of telling the story. Did you know that Fritz Lang was approached by Hitler, because he liked Lang's films. Lang soon fled to the US I believe.

I've seen the complete works of a lot of directors (or at least have seen all their major films.)
I'm currently working on Lars Von Trier.
I've seen most of: Kubrick (Killer's Kiss is, I believe, the only one left), Cronenberg, Alejandro Jodorowsky (Can't WAIT for the new film King Shot. It's got Marilyn Manson in it), Brian DePalma, Frank Capra (bit Capra fan. It happened one night was awesome), DeMille, John Waters (Cecil B. Demented ranks on my top 50 easily), Wes Anderson, Todd Solondz (Happiness!), Takashi Miike (Katakuris is great, but did you know it's a remake of the Quiet Family? I haven't seen the latter, but some people like it even better. Audition and Ichi the Killer are both crazy), Fellini, Bergman (Persona, The Seventh Seal are such wonderful films. Seventh Seal is very nihilistic, and I like that. Of course, that has been argued many times), Todd Browning (One of us! One of us! We accept you one of us!), Michael Haneke (Shoot me, but the remake of Funny Games was better), David Fincher (Benjamin Button...not a fan), Tarantino (although he now endorses Eli Roth, so I've lost some respect there haha), Soderbergh, Woody Allen (If you haven't seen Annie Hall you seriously need to. Some amazing quotes there.), Paul Thomas Anderson, David Lynch (Favorite Director ever...), John Carpenter (not the best films ever, but all entertaining), Dario Argento (**** yes!), Gus Van Sant (Elephant being probably the favorite there), Peter Weir (Picnic at Hanging Rock was the freaking best), Sofia Coppola (...did she do Virgin Suicides? Because that was amazing. Lost in Translation FTW), John Hughes (Guilty pleasure haha, favorite being the Breakfast Club), Ken Russel (The Devils is his best film), (Shymalan had so much promise...then he made lady in the water, the happening, and now the last airbender...oh jesus), Wes Craven (has some awful, awful movies, but even those are entertaining), Kevin Smith (not popular among the film buffs...), Harmony Korine (surrealism is awesome!), Larry Clark (Yes, I enjoy watching kids from the ghetto and their apathy-ridden lives...), and Ed Wood.
Yep, seen quite a few of those. Though I do like Kevin Smith. Pity John Hughes died. Recently bought sixteen candles. Not my fav Hughs film. That'd probably be either Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Though I do like Weird Science.

As a matter of interest, are you a film student as well? I find it odd that a person would naturally acquire such a wide range of film tastes outside of an academic setting.

I don't really have many modern indie directors that i've followed other than Solondz and Wes Anderson, because most indie films are a director's only hit (so far).
True. Though I suppose it depends on the definition of indie. To be honest, it's kinda become a marketing term. Take something like Donnie Darko. Though to my knowledge it was directly backed by any of the major film studios, it was backed by Flower Films, which is Drew Barrymore's own production company. Still marketed as an indie film though (I think, it's been a while since I read up on DD). Both directors mentioned definately have an acquired taste though.

I'm really into forgotten horror gems, like Alice Sweet Alice and Who Can Kill A Child?
Bully is a great film, although it's sort of an acquired taste.
Still, a great commentary on teenage apathy, and most definitely the most REALISTIC depiction of a murder ever.
Awesome. Unfortunately there's a limit to the horror and especially grindhouse style films you can get in the UK. Tried earlier in the year to get some, and all they had was Planet Terror and Deathproof (both of which I did enjoy, despite many people slamming Deathproof).

Making a top ten was very difficult for me too..
And it changes every time I write it down haha.
Lol. There's always great films that I would forget or end up being left out.

So yeah...massive film buff.
It's pretty awesome to see someone who has probably seen as many films as I have.
The thing is...I'm a horror fan.
Nothing wrong with that. I like quite a few horror films myself. Though personally don't get into slashers as I do other horror films.

Yeah, film buff + horror fan is not a common combo.
True. The typical film student is almost a stereotype (I found).

But if a horror film is done right, I really, really love it.
i.e. Suspiria, The Exorcist, Sisters, Peeping Tom, Psycho, Irreversible, Cannibal Holocaust (shoot me, but I honestly think it's a well-made film, not just a laugh-fest).
Some of the best horror films have been tongue in cheek. Evil Dead series and Braindead are great examples of that.

Any suggestions?
Don't know what to suggest really, you've probably seen anything I put up. Though Undead is a New Zealand (I believe) zombie film with a difference. Also, as I said earlier the UK doesn't have a good relationship with horror films, and you can't always get a wide range of them.

Though I do find that horror is generally bleeding into other genres too now. Horror comedy, horror sci fi, horror action, horror thriller, horror musical. I'm waiting for the horror fantasy...

Last edited:
Also I'm a big Asian/Japanese horror fan.
Battle Royale (well...not a horror film), A Tale of Two sisters, shutter, The Eye, Ringu, etc.
Also films like Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (The revenge trilogy includes Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, but that one sucked, and I deny it).
And Italian Giallo films.
Anything Argento, Bava, like: phenomenon (the good one), Tenebre, and Inferno.
Really, I don't dislike any nation's cinema...
Except India.
F*** Bollywood.
Seriously, F*** it.
I've not had much experience with Bollywood, though I did like Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge.

Resident Evil was alright, the second one was terrible, the third one may have been the best in the series.
Silent Hill was OK.
Being a massive fan of the Resident Evil videogame series, I didn't like the third one. Second one wasn't great either. The best in my opinion is the first.

Didn't realise until I watched the DVD extras that Paul W. S. Anderson is actually British! I suspect quite a few people in Hollywood are British. Ridley Scott is another one.

Haha I am NOT a film student...yet.
I will be in about eight days.
But yes, I've acquired that taste naturally.

I actually like some slashers, mostly for camp value.
Except for films like Black Christmas and Alice Sweet Alice, although the latter somewhat transcends the slasher stereotype.
BC is actually a quality flick.
And as campy as it is, the end of Sleepaway Camp is amazing.

I don't particularly have a vendetta against Hollywood, but there's just been such an overwhelming amount of sh*t put out lately...as in the past seven or so years.
ESPECIALLY this last year.
I think 90% of the films I've liked from this last year were indie.
(I'm so pissed off about not being able to find The Informers anywhere...or 500 Days of Summer for that matter. I'm a huge Bret Easton Ellis fan, having seen/read rules of attraction, less than zero (everyone hates it, but whatever), american psycho. And 500 has joseph gordon-levitt who was awesome in mysterious skin.)

But you're very right about indie becoming a marketing term.
Anymore, people use it to refer to movies that either have a certain vibe or were not widely released.
I honestly can't tell you what the term really means anymore haha.
But for some reason, you can just tell whether it's going to be labeled indie.

Darko was one of the movies that began to blur the indie line.
I guess it's supposed to be indie.

Wow I had no idea about Fritz Lang and Hitler.
I liked Metropolis, but Lang's best film is M - Murderers Among Us.
Peter Lorre is great, also in Arsenic and Old Lace, which I always get a kick out of.

Is the UK really that pissy about grindhouse films?
Wow.
Do they have a video nasties list or something?
I've always been interested in such films, and films about snuff movies like Tesis and even the marginal 8mm.
And of course the pole scene in cannibal holocaust.

I've seen Planet Terror, and wow was some of that badass.
I don't think Death Proof sounded all that great, but I may see it anyway.

Yeah, I'm finding out that a lot of film students don't think for themselves anymore in terms of their film preferences, limiting themselves to only films the critics like.
And some of those films are so massively pretentious that nobody in their right mind SHOULD like them haha.
Prime example: Last Days.
I love Van Sant, and I normally don't complain about a movie being slow...
But wow.
AND I'm a Michael Pitt fan.
Even THAT didn't make it passable for me.
Roger Ebert liked it (but he's a hoot and a holler) although Roper didn't.
He just kinda looked at Ebert like WTF are you crazy?!
I always love it when Ebert clashes with people.

Evil Dead and Braindead are freaking great.
I prefer Evil Dead II to I though.
Haven't seen Army of Darkness.
Jackson started out with an interesting career...
I did NOT like the Frighteners, but I loved Braindead, Meet the Feebles, and Heavenly Creatures.
And then came Lord of the Rings...
Proving that the best moviemaking in the world can't make a story like that any less boring...
That is probably the most unpopular opinion imaginable haha.
I tend to disagree with MANY people and critics over some films...
I had an entire english class in high school that had all seen and loved two films: Tommy Boy and Princess Bride.
Actually, everyone in my freaking school had seen both.
And they would quote it daily.
I NEVER even marginally liked either...
TB wasn't a critical favorite, but Princess Bride sure was.
I thought it was stupid as hell.

Horror comedy is one of the most popular hybrids right now.
Especially Drag Me to Hell, which was great fun.
I watch lots of horror films for comedic value.

Haha Undead sounds like great fun.
I'll check it out.

I have quite a list of the films I want to see in the next week or so haha.
The Descent, Seance on a Wet Afternoon, Trust, Go, The Dark Half, Pieces of April, Towelhead, Bad Boy Bubby, Child's Play 3, The Girlfriend Experience, Christian F, Vanishing Point, (The Bates Motel tv series!), Der Todesking, Better off Dead, Suburbia, Secretary, Riget 2, Savage Messiah, Antichrist (2009), the rest of Carnivale the tv series, the Thirteenth floor, Secret Window, Punch-Drunk Love, Chaos, Apt Pupil, The Laramie Project, Bad Education, Patrick, and They Live.
Can't see all of those, obviously.
Do you know any of these, and what do you think?

Haha I am NOT a film student...yet.
I will be in about eight days.
But yes, I've acquired that taste naturally.
Lol. Fair enough. Are you going more into the practical side or the academic side? I was neutral, but I had so many disagreements with people, I ended up focusing on the practical side more.

I actually like some slashers, mostly for camp value.
Except for films like Black Christmas and Alice Sweet Alice, although the latter somewhat transcends the slasher stereotype.
BC is actually a quality flick.
And as campy as it is, the end of Sleepaway Camp is amazing.
Just looked for Alice sweet Alice on amazon, and they only have it for VHS or region 1 DVD. May have to get a region 1 DVD at some point.

I don't particularly have a vendetta against Hollywood, but there's just been such an overwhelming amount of sh*t put out lately...as in the past seven or so years.
ESPECIALLY this last year.
I quite liked Star Trek, but that's because I was a fan(ish) of Next Gen, DS9 and Voyager. I never liked the old Star Trek, but I appreciated the new actors in their roles. Most other films were either give or take. Don't think I've come out of the cinema for a while and thought "wow!". Although I did also like Watchmen. Though my girlfriend read the comic and she says it was pretty close to the comic bar a few things.

I think 90% of the films I've liked from this last year were indie.
(I'm so pissed off about not being able to find The Informers anywhere...or 500 Days of Summer for that matter. I'm a huge Bret Easton Ellis fan, having seen/read rules of attraction, less than zero (everyone hates it, but whatever), american psycho. And 500 has joseph gordon-levitt who was awesome in mysterious skin.)
Unfortunately, I end up missing quite a few of the indie films, because of where I live. Hopefully going to move at some point within the next year or so.

But you're very right about indie becoming a marketing term.
Anymore, people use it to refer to movies that either have a certain vibe or were not widely released.
I honestly can't tell you what the term really means anymore haha.
But for some reason, you can just tell whether it's going to be labeled indie.
What really annoys me are the people that dislike Hollywood, but don't realise they had a hand in one of their favourite films productions. There's a film called Koyanaskatsi (or something like that), and it was back by one of the major studios, despite it being a poetic documentary.

Darko was one of the movies that began to blur the indie line.
I guess it's supposed to be indie.
Yeah, I can see why people would think it too. None of the characters look very Hollywood. Even Drew Barrymore's character. And the lighting style didn't seem to me like it was very Hollywood either.

Wow I had no idea about Fritz Lang and Hitler.
I liked Metropolis, but Lang's best film is M - Murderers Among Us.
Peter Lorre is great, also in Arsenic and Old Lace, which I always get a kick out of.
Haven't seen any of Lang's other works. Though might have to search a bit later for his other films.

Is the UK really that pissy about grindhouse films?
Wow.
I don't think the BBFC are usually that bad, I suppose it's the nature of grindhouse that I suppose they don't get (exploitation mostly). Bearing in mind that in the UK, Silent Hill only got a 15 certificate, despite showing a woman being stripped and then skinned alive. I would have thought that would be an 18.

Do they have a video nasties list or something?
I've always been interested in such films, and films about snuff movies like Tesis and even the marginal 8mm.
And of course the pole scene in cannibal holocaust.
Don't like the idea of snuff films to be honest. Though the other "video nasties" are (as far as I understand it) a term given to particularly gruesome films, and a genre that seems to get blamed for real life violence. The Jamie Bulger case with Childs play 3 is an example.
http://website.lineone.net/~darkangel5/moral.htm
Personally, I think the media effects debate is a load of rubbish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobo_doll_experiment
I liked the whole criticisms to it. I remember studying it in A-level film, and one of the children came out and a parent said "what did you do in there?" The girl said "We watched a film and I think they wanted us to hit the doll"...

I've seen Planet Terror, and wow was some of that badass.
I don't think Death Proof sounded all that great, but I may see it anyway.
It's not to everyone's tastes, but I liked it. Especially the ending. Kinda twists the whole stalker killer thing on it's head.

Yeah, I'm finding out that a lot of film students don't think for themselves anymore in terms of their film preferences, limiting themselves to only films the critics like.
And some of those films are so massively pretentious that nobody in their right mind SHOULD like them haha.
Prime example: Last Days.
I love Van Sant, and I normally don't complain about a movie being slow...
But wow.
AND I'm a Michael Pitt fan.
Even THAT didn't make it passable for me.
Roger Ebert liked it (but he's a hoot and a holler) although Roper didn't.
He just kinda looked at Ebert like WTF are you crazy?!
I always love it when Ebert clashes with people.
Yeah, it seems depressing how university was meant to be "liberating" and "thinking for yourself", yet people always seemed to be indocrinated more than thinking for themselves.

Evil Dead and Braindead are freaking great.
I prefer Evil Dead II to I though.
Haven't seen Army of Darkness.
Jackson started out with an interesting career...
I did NOT like the Frighteners, but I loved Braindead, Meet the Feebles, and Heavenly Creatures.
And then came Lord of the Rings...
Proving that the best moviemaking in the world can't make a story like that any less boring...
That is probably the most unpopular opinion imaginable haha.
I tend to disagree with MANY people and critics over some films...
I had an entire english class in high school that had all seen and loved two films: Tommy Boy and Princess Bride.
Actually, everyone in my freaking school had seen both.
And they would quote it daily.
I NEVER even marginally liked either...
TB wasn't a critical favorite, but Princess Bride sure was.
I thought it was stupid as hell.
I quite liked the Frighteners, if only for Busey, Coombes and Micheal J. Fox. I also liked the Princess Bride, but mostly because it was kind of a parody. And the characters were actually likable. Did Andre the Giant do any other films apart from that? Oh, and I usually stay clear of traditional fantasy. Seems too cliche to me. Kevin Smith said it best:
[video=youtube;mKg4W_mPUDI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKg4W_mPUDI[/video]
[video=youtube;AxAEo3CWeq8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxAEo3CWeq8[/video]

Horror comedy is one of the most popular hybrids right now.
Especially Drag Me to Hell, which was great fun.
I watch lots of horror films for comedic value.
Lol. I was watching a load of Kermode uncut videos on youtube the other day, and he reckoned Horror is the best way into film. Makes sense looking at some directors... Like Mr Raimi and Mr Jackson.

Haha Undead sounds like great fun.
I'll check it out.

I have quite a list of the films I want to see in the next week or so haha.
The Descent, Seance on a Wet Afternoon, Trust, Go, The Dark Half, Pieces of April, Towelhead, Bad Boy Bubby, Child's Play 3, The Girlfriend Experience, Christian F, Vanishing Point, (The Bates Motel tv series!), Der Todesking, Better off Dead, Suburbia, Secretary, Riget 2, Savage Messiah, Antichrist (2009), the rest of Carnivale the tv series, the Thirteenth floor, Secret Window, Punch-Drunk Love, Chaos, Apt Pupil, The Laramie Project, Bad Education, Patrick, and They Live.
Can't see all of those, obviously.
Do you know any of these, and what do you think?
I know of many of them, though I have to say I've only seen Secret Window I think. Thing about films, no matter how many you've seen, there's still tonne you haven't. 24 hours a day isn't enough time!

I think im more of a film fan. But I do have a list of films that I wonder "Why do people like this shite"

To put it short
"I know what I like and I hate what I don't"
Most of the posts here come from Michael-Bay-loving Adam Sandler fans..
I dont tend to see a film due to a directer or whos in it I tend to go to a film because I think it might be good
(Looks like Mr Bey has done some right shite)(and Sandler has only been in two films I like)

Is there anyone here who is actually serious about movies?
About as serious as a funny comedy film

I have a feeling I'd like Punch-Drunk Love...
And that has Sandler in it.
But Jesus Christ, nearly most of what he's done belongs on imdb's bottom 100.
Right up there with the Hottie and the Nottie.
Funny People doesn't look that great either...but it probably won't be as bad as, say, Big Daddy or Little Nicky.
I feel sort of like a picky asshole for saying this, but Mr. Deeds sort of pissed me off because it's a remake of a really great old movie.

I've yet to see a Michael Bay movie that I remotely enjoyed.
I was sort of forced into watching movies like Pearl Harbor and all that crap.
My dad is a "big explosions" kind of guy.
Whatever.

Any film with Jesus in it sucks, except for the Last Temptation of Christ and the South Park movie.
Passion of the Christ was just an all-out snuff film, and was like one giant unnecessary guilt-trip.

Back