Is this possible? Wii remote charger i am looking to make?

Trippe2k

WiiChat Member
Apr 21, 2007
I have a question and I am asking for help from an electronics person. I know the Wii is based mostly off of USB style of controller. Couldn’t you cut the wire off a nunchuck keeping the part that plugs into the Wii remote. Then feed power through to the battery that way? Make it go to selective pegs in its connection to the Wii remote and use it recharge the battery that way? So it would be only used as a charger no longer as a nunchuck? I know the Wii remote is DC current and it feeds current to the nunchuck, and then the remote gets a message back. So couldn’t you just change that message into power, and use that to recharge the remotes, so you don’t need to change the backing of the remote in one of the new chargers coming out these days? I did a lot of this crap with the original Xbox, but I am unsure about how the Wii works exactly and would like someone’s help/opinion. Then you could simply buy a USB charger and trade the end of the USB charger for the nunchuck insert to the Wii remote and it would charge it?

My one fear is what I did to a few Xboxes in my time, was over load it and fry the poor thing. Cause at the moment this stuff is still expensive and some what hard to come by. Also for some things with the Xbox I would have to go in and connect two previously unconnected points with a wire to get the power to flow right. Any help or any suggestion would be great, just PM me or email me or simply respond. Thank you

I don't think that the Wiimote is USB based, and I don't think the Wiimote is chargable via the nunchuck/CC port, after all, if it was chargable via that port, i'm pretty sure that Nintendo would of made a Wiimote charger around the time of release, not to mention you can't charge alkaline batteries, so it would require a rechargable battery with connectors on the back, which I think nyko already made, it's better you go with the nyko charger than risking frying your Wiimote

My god the Wii owns... said:
That was a waste of bandwidth.

If you found out a way to transform data into power, sounds great. =\

Thank you "My god the Wii owns..." thats all i wanted not a bunch of people saying i can fry my controller and mocking me, just asking if anyone has thought about or tried this, and wants to discuss possibility of this.

Trippe2k said:
Thank you "My god the Wii owns..." thats all i wanted not a bunch of people saying i can fry my controller and mocking me, just asking if anyone has thought about or tried this, and wants to discuss possibility of this.
I gave you a straight forward answer and I said it first. I wasn't mocking you.

paintba||er said:

I gave you a straight forward answer and I said it first. I wasn't mocking you.

Oh i know, I wasnt saying you, i was more agree with the person, "My god the Wii owns..." was talking about, plus adding my grief from a few other threads i posted on, and just forum culture in general for the most part. I generalized a bit much.

I seriously don't understand why Nintendo didn't think of this and add this feature into their design of the Wii remote.

Tri said:
I seriously don't understand why Nintendo didn't think of this and add this feature into their design of the Wii remote.

I agree 100%, then there always is that argument that it would cost to much to sell the charger with it, but really its a simple answer. they just could have added two copper pieces at the bottom that feed to the batteries. Then sell the charger alone with charging packs that can replace the batteries. Also considering how quickly the batteries run out i am really surprised it never crossed their minds. Also they seemed to have thought of everything else even adding a SD card slot to the machine but not that. Odd cause in the end batteries dont make nintendo money and selling chargers would have.

Trippe2k said:
I agree 100%, then there always is that argument that it would cost to much to sell the charger with it, but really its a simple answer. they just could have added two copper pieces at the bottom that feed to the batteries. Then sell the charger alone with charging packs that can replace the batteries. Also considering how quickly the batteries run out i am really surprised it never crossed their minds. Also they seemed to have thought of everything else even adding a SD card slot to the machine but not that. Odd cause in the end batteries dont make nintendo money and selling chargers would have.
If you mean the idea behind KODAK cameras (2 copper connectors connected to the battery compartment (negative and positive), which allows you to use either alkaline or Wii only rechargable batteries, that when the Wii only NiMH batteries are inserted, they can be charged inside the Wiimote), then I agree, it's easy and quick to do, Nintendo should of thought of that, and yeah, there would always be the argument saying that it would increase the price of the Wii, I don't know why Nintendo didn't think of that, but they also forgot about people playing the Wii on a projector and not thinking if having the stock Wii sensor bar wireless

Back