Is this really possible?

Alucard_Aricado

Vlad's Son
Dec 24, 2006
Lajas, Puerto Rico
Wii Online Code
8743-2417-5197-3490
I have read and heard many people say "oh that game is not online yet". Does that mean that its possible to enable online play for a game via updates????
like Super Swing Golf for example...it doesnt have online but with an update can it get online capabilities...Since all the Data is on the disc I dont think its possible unless the discs interact with the console's inner data bank or something

Alucard_Aricado said:
I have read and heard many people say "oh that game is not online yet". Does that mean that its possible to enable online play for a game via updates????
like Super Swing Golf for example...it doesnt have online but with an update can it get online capabilities...Since all the Data is on the disc I dont think its possible unless the discs interact with the console's inner data bank or something
Certainly possible technically.

Alucard_Aricado said:

Well I don't really know, But if you noticed Pc games get installed on to the computer... as in the info from the cd gets....put onto the Pc so that makes it where you can edit all that stuff, Which makes pc games easy to mod.

Now consoles have a different technology of course to this. I really don't think its possible.

Sure it's possible, this is how patches and updates to games work on Xbox Live. They are just saved to the hard drive.

Possible but not likely, unlike the PS3, 360 or PC the Wii isn't using a HD. Wii has like 512k internal memory expandable with up to 2gb. I'm not sure how they would patch a game since games aren't loaded onto the system like they are on other consoles. If the patch was small I'm sure they could save it to memory, but unless multiplayer was coded in on the disc and just not enabled I don't see them patching multi-player in an update. Often the multiplayer version of a game is pretty much an entirely new game as far as the code is concerned, not something you would just add in a patch.

Xanthan said:
Possible but not likely, unlike the PS3, 360 or PC the Wii isn't using a HD. Wii has like 512k internal memory expandable with up to 2gb. I'm not sure how they would patch a game since games aren't loaded onto the system like they are on other consoles. If the patch was small I'm sure they could save it to memory, but unless multiplayer was coded in on the disc and just not enabled I don't see them patching multi-player in an update. Often the multiplayer version of a game is pretty much an entirely new game as far as the code is concerned, not something you would just add in a patch.

From a programming perspecitve, as part of the startup stuff that happens when the game first loads, you would need to have it check for a specific file and merge that code in with what is loaded off the disc. The Wii's limited storage space would limit how extensive those patches would be.

Skippy said:
From a programming perspecitve, as part of the startup stuff that happens when the game first loads, you would need to have it check for a specific file and merge that code in with what is loaded off the disc. The Wii's limited storage space would limit how extensive those patches would be.

Well the patch would not be so extensive because all it adds are menus and the connection to the main server so it may not be that big

It's not hard to turn a older game like Street Fighter 2, into an online game(X-Box Live Did it). Nintendo can set up servers like Battlenet, and let the player host. As long as the player limit is below 9, there shouldn't be a problem. We'll have to wait till mid 2007 for their online channel. No news has been confirmed past that.

Back