Iwata looking into controller issues

Kamikaze

Certified Public Asshole
Nov 15, 2006
Chicago, IL
Wii Online Code
1130-2954-1680-3052
Credit: 1up.com

The increasing reports of people damaging their television sets, themselves or committing other random acts of random, minor, Wii Sports-related violence has prompted Nintendo President Satoru Iwata to launch an investigation into the claims and develop a new way to tell consumers: calm the hell down!
"Some people are getting a lot more excited than we'd expected," Iwata said at the Foreign Correspondents Club in Japan, reports the Associated Press. "We need to better communicate to people how to deal with Wii as a new form of entertainment."

A Nintendo spokesperson briefly elaborated on Iwata's statement, acknowledging they were looking into the problem but had no specific solutions as of yet. Don't be surprised of Nintendo starts offering free, stronger wrist straps at retailers and online, though -- one of mine already broke from normal use.

I dont know, they clearly caution users to gently swing the wiimote's and everyone should at least know what happends when ya skip the fine print, or any of the manuals words... doesnt effect me though, I can control myself.

But there happen to be a ton of common idiots who seemingly break their controller, so I guess they need an authority figure to tell them to stop.

Again, they will see that as being irrelevant and therefore just toss it out.

I got an e-mail the other day from Nintendo, it was a safety e-mail telling everyone they hope they are enjoying their wii, but to take caution and read the safety manual, wear your straps and stuff like that.

Soem of these people claiming lawsuits are dumb because nintendo is covering their butts

People, a simple fix Nintendo should implement... why dont they make the battery cover with a tactile rubber comvering... it would improve grip 100%. Nintendo could release it as a Recall thingy, and give out free rubber covered battery covers to owners. PLEASE READ THIS NINTENDO! I think it would improve safety on the controllers immensely, and save thousands of dollars worth of damage to people's loungerooms.

Oh, BTW, you can thank a little known Aussie customer Deanis for thinking up this brilliant cheap fix which could save your butt :)

I honestly have no remorse for people who whine about breaking their 75 inch plasma TVS for swinging on the Wii-mote like their Ahhnoldd. Seriously, you can even tell by looking at it that the Wii-mote isnt meant to be swung as hard as in the actually sports. I personally havent had a problem yet because I keep a pretty good grip on it, but that rubber battery cover would be genius and I dont know why they didnt think of that in the first place. Good thinking :thumbsup:

ExPENsivE!

I don't want to burst your bubble, but think about this.

Rubber Grip for Wiimote = $2.00 (I'm being conservative here, it would probably be more.)

$2.00 x 1,242,000 approx consoles sold(source, Nextgenwars)

= $2,484,000, or almost 2.5 millon to do this for free, if it doesn't cost more.(shipping, packaging, etc..)

I don't see it happening. for free. But, they may offer a accessory for a fee.

-K

im actually pretty sure grip "enhancers" have already been made/invented.

Wii_Gadgets_5.jpg

They are overkill tho, and i think having the ENTIRE thing covered in rubber makes people lazy, then expecting the whole thing to stick like glue. Plus with just the battery pack being soft rubber, none of the buttons are in an awkward position and heavily recessed. Just my 2cents worth.
BTW to cover your $2 estimate for the rubber grip, Nintendo could just hide the cost in 2 first-party games and increase their price by $1 each ;)
(Yes I realise I should be working for Nintendo)...
BTW, anyone else think the D-pad is about 5mm too far to the top of the controller?

Back