Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Iwata: Wii Is Not Next Gen

Discussion in 'Nintendo News & Rumors' started by i0n, Jun 6, 2006.

1. i0n

i0n :eek:

Talking to Japanese business publication (Nikkei Business), Iwata distances the Wii console from the rest of the pack, stating the Wii is not an extension of a previous incanation and therefore it cannot be classed as 'next-gen'.

Full story:
    http://www.gamernode.com/Wii/News_759/index.html

2. imahawki

imahawki (relatively) old guy.

Sounds like semantics. In fact, the Nintendo is the next gen and 360/PS3 are current gen with better graphics.

3. i0n

i0n :eek:

Yea you're probably right, just i think a lot of people see the term 'Next-Gen' as being the latest processing power, the most advanced graphics etc, and maybe Nintendo are wanting to distance themselves a little from this.

4. Mario Famous

Mario Famous Mr. Nintendo

Nintendo has something up thier sleeves. They wouldn't do this without a reason.

5. MasterLink

MasterLink myFunction()

You dont think they will pop out with another console do ya??? </sarcasm>

Well, if they were able to enchance a gameCube to play like the Wii, then I wouldnt say its next gen anyway.

#5 MasterLink, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  6. Mario Famous

The Nintendo Dolphin is still known as a rumor for another Nintendo console. Iwonder if this rumor will be reality.

7. Riviet

Riviet WiiChat Veteran

Wii Friend Code: 3388-6355-5969-8398
    3388-6355-5969-8398
    An interesting article... but it's not stopping me from buying the Wii though. :D

8. shadowtrooper501

shadowtrooper501 WiiChat Member

the nintendo dolphin was the codename for the gamecube it is not a consol

9. Napalmbrain

Napalmbrain WiiChat Member

The Wii doesn't seem to be much more advanced than an Xbox, so he's kind of right that it's not really a next gen console. It hasn't deterred me from buying one though.

10. Mr Jimsmit

Hmmm, yeah, "next-gen" isn't really right for the Wii, it's not an upgrade, but technically it's "Next generation" if that makes sense to you. It adds a new concept to gaming, getting the gamer more physically involved with the game, but in the sense of next-gen technology, that's not REALLY right. I know what I mean if you don't.:lol:

11. imahawki

i0n, MrJim and I are of like mind. If you define next gen as an upgrade then its not but I think that's a misnomer. Next gen should be the new technology, the thing that changes the face of the industry etc. To me, Plasma was the next gen in TV technology when it came out. The plasmas available in 2006 are not next gen to the ones from 2005 though. Again, this is my opinion on what next gen SHOULD mean.

12. Mario Famous

I agree exactly, Nintendo has always been the company to step up it's game and come out with new technology to bring to the gaming world. The Wii is a next gen system to me, I've never seen a motion sensor controller to use for gameplay.

13. DRMARIO

DRMARIO Controversial.

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    iwata is very right, all you saying its next generation, youre wrong, cos liek he said ,it isnt an upgrade to the others. although, it is very high techm, and is coming into this new era of technology, if thats what you mean.
    the wii is greta, and i see iwatas point, but all the people out there who are too engrossed in the ps3 and xbox, are too stubborn to even TRY and understand

14. imahawki

Huh?

Basically all anyone has said is it depends on what you man by next gen. I've more often seen next gen refer to an actual paradigm shift (like the Wii) than an upgrade (like the 360) so I'd say the Wii COULD be called next gen.

15. Mr Jimsmit

There's not really a right or wrong, like imahawki said, it all depends on your definition of "next gen".

16. shadowtrooper501

shadowtrooper501 WiiChat Member

yeah but technicly it is next gen there wont be another consol fo at least 5 years (not including handhelds)

17. Mr Jimsmit

Technically nothing about it. Google - define: generation gives the following: "a stage of technological development or innovation; "the third generation of computers", TECHNICALLY any new console is next gen by that definition. But the gaming world has developed it's own "split definition" of it, if that makes sense to you.

18. phimuajedi69

phimuajedi69 WiiChat Member

^-- In response to deleted posts: age doesn't matter, games are for everyone, and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

putting this thread back on topic. basically i think of the wii as next gen bc it is the next system by nintendo it is more of a timeline/era classification for me more than a statement about what something is

#18 phimuajedi69, Jun 8, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  19. imahawki

Good thread and good discussion. Very interesting how people view the subject differently. Either way, we know the Wii is different in some significant ways from both the prior "gen" (GCN, XBOX, PS2) and the OTHER new "gen" (360, PS3) so yes its hard to classify.

20. tuned

tuned 11.19.06

Next Gen, put simply, is a company's next generation and latest product. In this case, the Wii will be Nintendo's latest generation product, period. Regardless of what I read in articles, the Wii is mine on release day! :)