Japanese Modded Wii & SSBB

dtseng

WiiChat Member
Mar 9, 2008
I got a Wii as a gift a few months ago. However, this Wii is a Japanese model and it was modded.

I’ve been able to play burned games as well as real ones. I bought Guitar Hero III here in America and it works perfectly fine with my console. However, this morning I bought SSBB and my console couldn’t read it. I understand that a few people have had problems reading the Brawl disc b/c their lasers couldn’t read the dual layer so they sent it to Nintendo. However, I obviously will not be able to do that since my system is modded.

I do not know if the mod is a chip or a software that’s installed on the Wii. Regardless, I cannot tell if the reason for not being able to read Brawl is because my system is Japanese (out of region) or because it is modded. Does anybody know how to possibly change a Wii to “all-region,” or “un-mod” the console? Or if you could link me to a place that could possibly give me the answer, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

chipped Wiis can't read Brawl. It's not that your Wii can't read it, it's because of the chip. Don't know what to say, guess you can only play the japanese version if you take the chip out. Unless you want to buy an american wii.

COLDshiver said:
chipped Wiis can't read Brawl. It's not that your Wii can't read it, it's because of the chip. Don't know what to say, guess you can only play the japanese version if you take the chip out. Unless you want to buy an american wii.

Ah i see. Well do you know why my system can read an American Guitar Hero III? I mean if it works with that game, shouldn't it work with an American SSBB?

I have a modchip on mine so I could play the JP SSBB when it came out in Japan. I bought the retail US version and it works perfectly also. It all depends on the chip since Brawl uses Dual Layer disc (since Brawl is so big). Usually you need to update your modchip(if you have one that can) to read dual layer discs. Since you don't know your chip then it'll be difficult. The only advise I can tell you is to open the Wii and take a picture of the chip so people can identify it.

Evi1d33d said:
I have a modchip on mine so I could play the JP SSBB when it came out in Japan. I bought the retail US version and it works perfectly also. It all depends on the chip since Brawl uses Dual Layer disc (since Brawl is so big). Usually you need to update your modchip(if you have one that can) to read dual layer discs. Since you don't know your chip then it'll be difficult. The only advise I can tell you is to open the Wii and take a picture of the chip so people can identify it.

Awesome. I will do that as soon as I can. I actually won't have access to my Wii for about a week and half, but would you be able to identify it if i took a picture of it?

dtseng said:
Awesome. I will do that as soon as I can. I actually won't have access to my Wii for about a week and half, but would you be able to identify it if i took a picture of it?
Most likely unless it's an open source chip which could have few difference firmwares.

Pretty sure it's not a region issue, it's definitely the mod chip.
You probably have a Wiikey installed, and the Wiikey team is still working on their update for SSBB. There is a bug in the firmware that prevents the retail disc from working, but backed-up versions will run.
There is a way to get your retail copy working, if you want you can PM me for a link to the instructions.
How ironic for Nintendo to make purchased copies of Brawl render unreadable but ripped ISO files work properly o_O.

And if you really want to un-mod it or control the modchip, a lot of modders out there can install a switch for you to turn your Wiikey on/off, or you could *possibly* get the chip removed with no trace of it ever being there, if you get a talented guy. =)

Last edited:
Celeste said:
Pretty sure it's not a region issue, it's definitely the mod chip.
You probably have a Wiikey installed, and the Wiikey team is still working on their update for SSBB. There is a bug in the firmware that prevents the retail disc from working, but backed-up versions will run.
There is a way to get your retail copy working, if you want you can PM me for a link to the instructions.
How ironic for Nintendo to make purchased copies of Brawl render unreadable but ripped ISO files work properly o_O.

And if you really want to un-mod it or control the modchip, a lot of modders out there can install a switch for you to turn your Wiikey on/off, or you could *possibly* get the chip removed with no trace of it ever being there, if you get a talented guy. =)

Thank you very much. Just PMed you. I was thinking the exact same thing. Wouldn't Nintendo lose money by making Brawl unreadable by modded Wii's? It would only make me return it, and resort to burning ripped ISO files. Doesn't really make sense to me...

dtseng said:
Thank you very much. Just PMed you. I was thinking the exact same thing. Wouldn't Nintendo lose money by making Brawl unreadable by modded Wii's? It would only make me return it, and resort to burning ripped ISO files. Doesn't really make sense to me...
You can't return opened games, they did their math ;)

Celeste said:
^ He could sell it on eBay for more than he paid for it :p

Haha, I might do that. Celeste, could you send me the link for instructions that you mentioned earlier on getting my retail US Brawl to work for my Wii?

dtseng said:
Haha, I might do that. Celeste, could you send me the link for instructions that you mentioned earlier on getting my retail US Brawl to work for my Wii?
Sure, sorry I didn't before, the site was down for maintenance.
EDIT: Still down. This is probably a good sign, there's probably an easier/faster way coming. The way I was talking about before involved pulling the plug on your Wii 15% into an update, etc.

Celeste said:
Sure, sorry I didn't before, the site was down for maintenance.
EDIT: Still down. This is probably a good sign, there's probably an easier/faster way coming. The way I was talking about before involved pulling the plug on your Wii 15% into an update, etc.

Haha alright, thanks. Hm.. my Wii wouldn't even update when I put in Brawl. I had to find a translation online that had an English Menu compared to a Japanese Menu on the Wii mainscreen and update it through WiFi.

Well if you discover another way, please let me know. Btw, are all modchips "wii-keys" or are there different ones?

Back