Japanese Wii console HELP!!!

Update: I checked it out on a different network, with the same router, and it worked (apparently the network I checked it on first had some kind of firewall that was beyond my access). So Japanese Wii's can connect to the Japanese WiiConnect24 service, outside of Japan. :)

Hi AlexDP,

Thank you for the update.

Does your Wii have any mod chip installed to allow it to play non-Japanese Wii games?

Don't mention it :) I like helping others out, especially when they're in the same predicament as me :(
As I mentioned, I live in South Korea, and unfortunately there are no English games available here and I (being a foreigner) am not allowed to get a credit card (even though I'm well above the age limit) so I cant import... So basically in order to be able to play English games I had mine modchipped (WiiKey), so now I can play NTSC US games on it (games I gladly would have bought along with a US console, if only I had access)

So, shortly put, yes.

Last edited:
Hi Alex,

In that case, may be I need to compare more of your WiFi network settings to mine.

1. Is your WiFi network configured as a closed network (aka. not broadcasting its Network Name)?

2. Are you using encryption? WEP or WPA or WPA2?

3. Do you have MAC address filtering enabled?

4. Which channel is your WiFi network on? Channel 1 or 2 or 3, etc.

Thanks!

In the case where it worked and connected online the answers are:
1. It's set to broadcast
2. No encryption
3. MAC filtering off
4. Channel 9

But, I'm pretty sure it would work with the following settings if I'd tested them on the alternate connection as I'm sure they worked on my original connection and only the final requests were blocked by the firewall mentioned before.
1.SSID broadcast off
2.Encryption WPA Personal (AES)
3. MAC filtering enabled (and the Wii's MAC address allowed)
4. Channel 1 - 6 - 11

As I said these will all most likely work if there is no higher up firewall to block the Wii's requests.

AlexDP said:
In the case where it worked and connected online the answers are:
1. It's set to broadcast
2. No encryption
3. MAC filtering off
4. Channel 9

But, I'm pretty sure it would work with the following settings if I'd tested them on the alternate connection as I'm sure they worked on my original connection and only the final requests were blocked by the firewall mentioned before.
1.SSID broadcast off
2.Encryption WPA Personal (AES)
3. MAC filtering enabled (and the Wii's MAC address allowed)
4. Channel 1 - 6 - 11

As I said these will all most likely work if there is no higher up firewall to block the Wii's requests.

I had tried the second sets of WiFi router settings but not the first set. The only difference is that I did not try channel 6. Unfortunately, I am still unable to get the Wii connected to the Internet.

It keeps returning an Error Code when it tests the connection after configuring. I don't remember the exact code at the moment, but I had tried searching for an English meaning on the Internet without any success.

Regards,

-- Vinko

Maybe if you can post the error message I can help out, cuz I got a lot of error messages so far (on the non-working connection) and I know mostly what's what. (Amazingly the working connection worked without a single error code :p)

If that can help, I also live in South Korea, and my connection settings (which worked from the first time on) are :
- Broadcast on
- WEP2 encryption
- Channel 6
(Not sure about Mac filtering)

Everything works fine, but the news in Japanese are not that useful... :S

LOL, I definitely agree with that. Browsing the Wii shop in Japanese isnt much fun either, though eventually after looking around on sites on the net, you'll get the hang of whats what. I managed to get the Internet channel and the Everybody Votes channel.

[quote:AlexDP]I managed to get the Internet channel and the Everybody Votes channel.[/quote]

Oohh... I got the Internet channel but don't have the "everybody votes" channel, what does it do anyway ?

AlexDP said:
Maybe if you can post the error message I can help out, cuz I got a lot of error messages so far (on the non-working connection) and I know mostly what's what. (Amazingly the working connection worked without a single error code :p)

The Error Code I received when I proceed to test the connection is 41312

The everybody votes channel has polls, so you can vote on some topics, however considering its all Japanese, if you dont understand Japanese, you really cant vote (unless of course you vote randomly :devil: ).

vinko said:
The Error Code I received when I proceed to test the connection is 41312
Are you sure about that code? It's a bit strange, it doesnt resemble any of the other codes...
By the way, do you have your router set on Mixed mode? (i.e. Wireless b/g)

Oh, and i forgot to mention, Make SURE you have the WiiConnect24 option set to on in the WiiConnect24 menu(its the first button in the WiiConnect24 menu) and that you agree to the disclaimer, its the third button on the WiiConnect24 menu (i cant remember which is agree/yes and which is disagree, try translating these two words form english to japanese using translate.google.com, and then matching with whats shown on the screen). If you dont do this, even if the connection is successful, you wont connect and you'll get messages (apparently saying you cant connect cuz you havent agreed) and since you cant read the messages, you wont know if its actually an error or just a disclaimer acceptance requirement. And also keep in mind that when it does successfully connect, it gives a code (sth starting with 3 and also a 6 somewhere in there, if i remember correctly), so dont mistake that for an error....

Back