Jittery Video Problem?

fndngemo

WiiChat Member
Nov 25, 2006
I just got my wii today and have noticed a problem while playing Zelda. I think it may of done it on the wii menu as well, but since zelda is what I'm playing the majority of the time it is what I notice it on. Anyway, the problem is that randomly every couple second the video gets kinda jittery. It looks almost like I'm watching tv with some old rabbit ears. It's not extreme to the point where it goes to static, but it definitely is noticable. I double checked all the connections and it's still doing it. any ideas?

UPDATE:

When I went back to the Wii it was doing it more and more frequently, almost to a point where it was constant. After hitting the home menu and going back to the main menu of the Wii however it didn't seem to be doing it. It looks like it's only happening when playing Zelda. Does this mean it's a problem with the disc and not the system?

Last edited:
1) Try another game
2) Check your Video cables are plugged in correctly
3) Try unplugging and repluggin everything in (lol that's what tech support would say).
4) If it's random, then it's unlikely to be the disc - no harm in swapping it though I guess.

TV is a Sony Rear Projection HDTV, using stock cables. I tried using a different input and it was still doing it, and also when I restarted the Wii and started playing Zelda it wasn't doing it, but I noticed as the game progressed it seemed to start doing it around the same time. Not sure if that's because I was at the same part or if it just means it took me the same amount of time to get there. It definitely wasn't doing it on the wii menu, but once again I'm not sure if that's because the problem resets when the system does, or because it really does only happen during specific parts of zelda.

If this TV of yours is widescreen, you may want to try going into the Wii Settings and I think it's under Video or something. Make sure it is set to 16:9, instead of the default 4:3. I'm guessing this could be the problem because most likely, your TV supports widescreen and I know Zelda supports widescreen, so try that.

If that doesn't work, perhaps take the game back and exchange it for another copy of it. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'm not sure. Perhaps calling Nintendo's customer service would help.

fndngemo said:
TV is a Sony Rear Projection HDTV...

Right I don't have a Wii yet, so I haven't been able to read the instruction manual. But from what I remember from past consoles, they don't advise using Rear Projection TVs.

It's not a CRT based display, which is what had problems with burnin. It's a fairly new LCD based RPTV, about a year old. Specifically bought for gaming, so that isn't an issue.

Played Wii Sports for awhile last night, and never noticed the problem. Looks like it only happens on Zelda. Also, the randomness may not be quite as random as I thought. At one point I noticed it was only being jittery when I paused the game or used my "senses" in wolf mode.

I'd love to, but I can't find component cables in stock anywhere

in any case, avoid sending ur wii for a replacement since its playable, it would be sad to get ur replacement a week after only to find out u need better cables, so i suggest u w8 to find some component first

Same boat

I have noticed some serious video artifacting as well with the Wii following the latest Firmware update. Checked the connections as well, tried other consoles to make sure it wasn't the tv. Something strange here. But my issue extends from games all the way to the Wii menu itself.

Well guys, you know it can be helpful to ask questions such as these on forums and stuff but I have a suggestion.

If you are sure the issue is not related to your TV, and to the game system. A good idea is to contact Nintendo on this, you could ask on forums still, but nothing is better than Nintendo themselves, plus the wait on customer service line is only a few minutes.

Reporting issues like these will help Nintendo fix issues like these faster with firmware updates should they be fixable through it.

If I had to guess, which is all we can do from the info given, I'd say the problem is in the cable or the composite jacks on the TV.

One thing you can do is if you have another set of inputs, try switching to them see if you still have the same problem. If the problem is still there, its a good chance your problem is in your cable. Could either be a short, grounding problem, bad connector etc.

Only real solution to this is to get a new cable under those circumstances, I'm sure you could contact Nintendo and they would send you a replacement. Or if you are planning to get a component cable, you'll just have to deal with it until then.

I seriously doubt it could be within your Wii, but if you still have problems after getting another cable then that would definitely point you in that direction.

Back