joining a martial arts studio.

Darkonix

A.K.A. _-Fear-_-Me-_
Jan 1, 2007
Miami FL
Wii Online Code
2416-6513-0889-2126
I've always wanted to join a studio where I can train and beat something but not sure whats in mind for me.

How many of you guys out there are currently in a studio or doing some sort of MMA or Martial arts thing? I have about 5 places to call to see what bests suits me. Not sure though. What do you guys think about MMA/Martial arts/ Studios?

I enjoy martial arts. Most of my friends study their own style, some have multiple styles. We all have boken (wooden swords, katana style) That we spar with. Sometimes it gets intense with kyle, but he just got out of basic training a couple months back (Army brat). I like jeet-kun-do and mixed, he specialized in mui tia, and marcoh does kung-fu. On more than one occasion i have ended up with a cuncussion form sparring with them, and likewise with them. But what ever you are into, practive practive practice, and you must have dicipline.

I just recently moved to VA but up in the NJ, PA area where I'm from I had a few unique studios that I used to attend. The one I personally liked the most may not fall into the category of what you might be looking for as it's not a competition martial art. It's Krav Maga... which if you are not familiar with it is less of a martial "art" and more of a defensive martial combat style. It was developed for the Israeli military about 50 years ago to give all practioners, no matter of size or gender, a lethal advantage against an attacker. Being a big guy I always end up being the class example of this advantage. :sick:

I would suggest trying the martail art:

'Tae-Kwon-Do'

It is a south korean martiall art.

I am currently practising Shotokon Karate. Its good for the mind and body and I personally enjoy every class. Goodluck with finding one that suits you.

Byuakuya said:
I am currently practising Shotokon Karate. Its good for the mind and body and I personally enjoy every class. Goodluck with finding one that suits you.

I hear that style is very tough. I was considering that choice.. but no studio around here has that type of style.

So around here they have 1 big MMA studio/gym, A few karate studio's and a couple kae- kwon - do. Im going to call them all up and see because I will only be able to attend twice a week due to school and work =(

Darkonix said:
I hear that style is very tough. I was considering that choice.. but no studio around here has that type of style.

So around here they have 1 big MMA studio/gym, A few karate studio's and a couple kae- kwon - do. Im going to call them all up and see because I will only be able to attend twice a week due to school and work =(
Yeah, just go at your own pace. Its tough, but it will benefit you in the long run.

Heh,

BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU, one of the greatest martial arts to go to America. I would highly recommend it. Your can go on youtube search royce gracie and see how many people he beat. Most of them outweighing him by 50 or 60 pounds. And he still won the first few UFC tournaments. Brazilian jujitsu is arguably the most effective martial arts ever.

LOL studio
Makes it sound more like a bussiness and less of a place of training
My addvice (and a few other senseis/sifus)is get out there on the street and get in a few fights thats true fghtin not this area stuff becuase its to controlled

Darkprinny said:
LOL studio
Makes it sound more like a bussiness and less of a place of training
My addvice (and a few other senseis/sifus)is get out there on the street and get in a few fights thats true fghtin not this area stuff becuase its to controlled

lol Street fights? Im not an aggressive person but I keep it all inside until its called apon. I was hoping just to maybe get a bit leaner and feel better about myself. Dont get me wrong, im not over weight. Im 155 pretty toned as it is. Just wanna join something an meet new people .

i used to do all sorts of martial arts but i dont now, but at least i now know how to kill a man in one hit in the neck

but i ain't allowed to do that

Last edited:
Like people has said brazillion. . .

Or like i said Tae Kwon Do:D

jiu jitsu <3

my bf is a 3rd degree black belt hes amazing :) and so is my best girlfriend ilana. she and i used to grapple all the time at her dojo. i also used to "ookie?" (spelling??) for her during her belt tests. i had so many sores on my body because of her! lol i miss that.

i only have a yellow belt :yikes: GRAB MY WRIST!!!!! haha

Darkonix said:
lol Street fights? Im not an aggressive person but I keep it all inside until its called apon. I was hoping just to maybe get a bit leaner and feel better about myself. Dont get me wrong, im not over weight. Im 155 pretty toned as it is. Just wanna join something an meet new people .

Tell us some of the stlyes that are in your local area (wing chuns quite good)
Will it be your first time studying ?

Your best of askin to sit in on a few diffrent classis to see if you might like it
Also ask a few of the sutdents if tthey like it and how long they have been studying (if you see a load of Black blets/dans its usealy not a good sign if they have not been there long)(most have things called Katas that are done on your own)

But M/arts will give you more confidance in your self.(and it will give you a bit of a edge in a real fight)

Back