Joystick vs Mouse

NS_Tr4mpld

X-NSider
Sep 17, 2007
Ok here is the thing... My brother comes up to me all excited today. Why? He says that the new Team Fortress that comes with Orange Box will soon be connecting with the PC owners... Meaning 360 owners and PC owners unite...

Here is the problem... What if you play a whole team of PC users while your team has nothing but 360 owners... My brother won't quit arguing that the mouse has no advantage over a joystick... It's almost annoying how ignorant he is.

Is there anyone out there that still thinks they could even take on a mediocre PC gamer with a dual analog controller... If so please say so and explain because I just can't stop laughing at my brother... I played Counter Strike for about 4 years and have yet to see anyone do half as much crazy crap on Halo and I have been playing that game religousely ever since release.

Please respond, I know it's a stupid debate. I would bet my life that the best PC shooter would murder the best console shooter in a 1 on 1 anyday... Any of you guys think that the console and PC merge would work out or just piss people off?

BTW I don't even believe my brother so don't just say that the merge is never happening cause I couldn't even see them debating it.

Last edited:
i have found that while playing a pc shooter, such as starwars battlefront 2 or halo 2, i can make headshots easily and have no problem turning around or shooting.

while playing the xbox, i can almost never make headshots, i can hardly focus on a person 5 feet away from me with a regular gun.

even if i was "1337" at playing joystick, i would lose 9 times out of 10 to a PC gamer if the games mixed.

Exactly, you don't even have to be good at playing on a PC and you can still pull off crazy stuff, everything is so precise... My brother is such a fool and just loves to argue about anything.

He is friggen 23, going to school for networking and is still a complete moron about computers and games... I don't understand it, he tried convincing me the other day that team fortress already ran off of dedicated servers and that it was possible because the www runs off of only 5 servers... Like he even knows the friggen technicalities on that and even if he why in the world would MS waste more billions just so they could have hundreds of thousands of dedicated servers... Man even though I know he is a complete moron he still gets on my nerves... Funny thing is today when he tried telling me about the merge he kinda admited being wrong about dedicated servers without saying so cause he said that now they will finally be dedicated... Can't wait till he finds out that the merge is just a dumb geek site rumor... friggen moron...

lol, why WOULD microsoft spend billions on dedicated servers when they could use that money to fix 360 that have rrod.

i just dont know why they havent noticed that the 65 mm chipset would save them money and switch to that, instead of shelling out billions for replacments (if they started putting the new chips in, the failure rate would most likely go down by like 50%)

Any decent/professional gamer knows Mouse>Controller. I went to a Halo 3 tournament on Saturday and before I went, I went to a net cafe and played CSSDM. I was constantly AWPing everyone pretty much as soon as I saw them. I can do so much on a PC. Then when I played Halo 3 I could barely even hit people with the sniper, let alone get good amounts of headshots. I'm pretty average at PC (OK well I think I pwn) and with a mouse and keyboard I feel I could outsnipe OGRE 2 or at least some of the pro Halo snipers.

This debate is unquestionable, sometimes I feel like I can aim better on Metroid Prime on my DS :/

Heh... Halo3 rocks btw... I kinda hate some of the maps on there, and I hate the way they have the server settings, I always feel as if I am getting robbed when I am in close range battles and I hear my beat down or shotty and it never registers... Other than that I have had some fun experience with the game... Never was a Halo fan prior to 3.

personaly i think it comes down to the player. i play both PC and console shooters and im MUCH better at console shooters than PC shooters. with the mouse i can never find the right sensitivity. its either too jerky or a little too slow but with the joysticks i find it to me much more smooth and i feel i have more control. dont get me wrong. PC gamers usually are better but if you take the best from both i feel that it would be pretty even

Mitch2025 said:
personaly i think it comes down to the player. i play both PC and console shooters and im MUCH better at console shooters than PC shooters. with the mouse i can never find the right sensitivity. its either too jerky or a little too slow but with the joysticks i find it to me much more smooth and i feel i have more control. dont get me wrong. PC gamers usually are better but if you take the best from both i feel that it would be pretty even

See I don't know about that... When I first started playing PC shooters I was getting headshots off the wall, I have been playing console shooters since Goldeneye and still can't pull off some of the stuff I can on PC, and I still have yet to see ANYONE pull off stuff on a console shooter like you can on PC... My brother says it's all about the player as well. The way I see it with you is there are just awesome PC gamers out there and that's why you can't compete. Think of it this way... If there was a target game on a PC and xbox what do you think you would be faster at? It's hands down a mouse would rock those targets. The thing about the mouse is you can have a low sensitivity and still do a 180 in two seconds with a flick of the wrist... With a joystick you are really deprived of varying speeds due to the fact you have about an inch of movement.

I have a buddy that is AWESOME at halo3... His favorite tool of destruction? Sniper... He has about a 20 to 1 win/lose rate and I still have yet to see him pull off anything out of the ordinary. He kicks my butt for sure but just by watching him play if I were to take a mouse to his ass even on a bad day he would be a sitting duck.

Yeah Brawnys got it pretty much right..

Personally, I'm better on a PC when shooting only because I used to play PC shooters so much, and not very often on a console.. but when I get my 360 shall play it constantly then I'm sure I'll improve.

As Mitch said I think it's down to the player mostly.

I agree with mitch down to a point. The best PC gamer will beat the console gamer in speed and accuracy of the cursor. It can't be helped. Now, the console-er has the one up in the left analog, rather than wasd.

Well, the Xbox 360 has support for both Keyboards & Mouses for some of it's games. So yeah, i guess you can look at it as a win/win situation, but for what games are actually compatible with USB Keyboards & Mouses, i'm not really sure of... I know Gears Of War has support for both, but i'm not sure about the Orange Box.

Brawny said:
*mice*....

If a mouse wasn't better, it wouldn't be offered for 360/ps3...
I agree to a point.

Personally I also agree with Mitch, as people have there preferences and often accept that of which they are good at, there for both users are probably about equal in there skill. I also believe mice are easier for people to pick up and play simply because most of us have not only used mice for probably years now, but also receive regular training as the mouse is still the most practical pointing device. This doesn't surprise me that people would not only make it there preferred choice, but even go so far to think it's even superior to anything else.

I also agree with Brawny on his "greater than" scheme, however the lack of training using the Wii Remote for FPS still makes it a candidate to finally out-perform the mouse in the FPS category, if not at least be considered it's equal. The mouse has one clear advantage over any other choice out there, that is a very commonly used pointing device and one that even non-gamers are familiar with, so accuracy with a mouse is much easier to achieve on average than a c-stick or even a Wii Remote. I am sure that if we put in the time we have with the mouse we'd find either method just about the same as far as speed and accuracy. :)

I suspect that this is why mouse+keyboard support is an option for some 360 games as well, not because it's "better", but often because some people will find it more comfortable. :)

mouse is without question the faster/more intuitive/more accurate choice over the analog stick

the next best thing is the wii-mote pointing, metroid proved that it can be a successful way of gaming. medal of honor may have even topped that! it's also a more natural shooting position

analog stick is oooollllldddd technology. think N64..

any time analog gamers go up against mouse aim gamers they get murked too again and again.

Back