Junk LAN adaptor perhaps?

solinar

WiiChat Member
Jun 30, 2007
I am trying to get my Wii online via wired connection, and have been making great progress working through different error codes until now. error 52222 - unable to connect to server.

I have my lan adaptor plugged into the Wii, the ethernet cable plugged into the lan adaptor and my modem, and my modem plugged into my pc via usb. I read several forum posts and successfully created a manual setup on the Wii to detect my internet. I have no firewall running.

*** halt ***

While writing this i assumed a giant company (at least where i live) like Charter Communications would support the Wii, but i talked to technical support and she said as of right now they only (technically) support x-box and ps2. That sounds like legal garbage to me (i know how call centers work) but i will go to my local charter office to get a straight answer in a few days. It just seems to me that if an x-box live account can access the internet through charter, a Wii would almost certainly be able to as well. Someone much smarter then me will probably post why i am wrong on this, and that's totally cool, i'm not a wiz at any of this stuff.

Anyway, i have read here and it also states on Nintendos web site that if your lan adaptor is not the official Nintendo brand it will most likely not be compatible with the Wii. I just grabbed this Datel one off the shelf and here i sit, Wii online-less.

What do you guys think is more likely? Piece of schmidt lan adaptor or charter does not suppot Wii online play? My guess is the lan adaptor, but that's probably because i HOPE it's the lan adaptor.

Thanks for any ideas.

solinar said:
I am trying to get my Wii online via wired connection, and have been making great progress working through different error codes until now. error 52222 - unable to connect to server.

I have my lan adaptor plugged into the Wii, the ethernet cable plugged into the lan adaptor and my modem, and my modem plugged into my pc via usb. I read several forum posts and successfully created a manual setup on the Wii to detect my internet. I have no firewall running.

*** halt ***

While writing this i assumed a giant company (at least where i live) like Charter Communications would support the Wii, but i talked to technical support and she said as of right now they only (technically) support x-box and ps2. That sounds like legal garbage to me (i know how call centers work) but i will go to my local charter office to get a straight answer in a few days. It just seems to me that if an x-box live account can access the internet through charter, a Wii would almost certainly be able to as well. Someone much smarter then me will probably post why i am wrong on this, and that's totally cool, i'm not a wiz at any of this stuff.

Anyway, i have read here and it also states on Nintendos web site that if your lan adaptor is not the official Nintendo brand it will most likely not be compatible with the Wii. I just grabbed this Datel one off the shelf and here i sit, Wii online-less.

What do you guys think is more likely? Piece of schmidt lan adaptor or charter does not suppot Wii online play? My guess is the lan adaptor, but that's probably because i HOPE it's the lan adaptor.

Thanks for any ideas.

Hi

so, your modem has two connections - one USB, one ethernet?

i guess it doesn't have a "router" built into it?

if not, there's your problem.

the modem will only be allocating one IP address, and by the sounds of
it, your PC is the first port of call.

you could try unplugging your PC from the modem, and rebooting it with only
the Wii connected, but i'm not sure this will work either.

you could:- connect via ICS (assuming your pc has a spare ethernet port).

or preferrably, get hold of a compatible router (either wired or wireless) and
connect both your pc and Wii to that.

You should be able to connect your Wii straight to the modem, mine works fine like this. But, you probably can have only either the Wii or PC alone, as FR3344LL said, connected at a time. When I wanna hook the Wii up to the net, my PC has to be not only disconnected, but the modem has to be unplugged each time after unhooking the PC to reset the PC info so the Wii info can go through without confusion to the modem. Give it a try, you should get a bingo. A router would then fix the disconnect each time problem. And although the third party LAN is not recommended, it should technically work; and internet should be internet, as long as you have a broadband or high speed connection.

Last edited:
thanks! Wiibad, i'll try that right now and post back soon. I guess i'm just cheap and don't want to sink any more money into this deal, so I'm trying to not buy a router.

Wiibad, do have your wii on a manually configured connection or just the standard automatic one?

solinar said:
Wiibad, do have your wii on a manually configured connection or just the standard automatic one?
Standard/automatic. It would probably be best to erase your manual setting and start over with a new plain and simple wired setting. Glad I could help, this stuff gave me a problem in the beginning too and it turned out to be so simple.

Back