Just bought myself an HDTV.

Owen0501 said:
Sorry buddy, can't understand why this would be - perhaps a faulty cable? The difference for me when changing to 480p and Joytech component cable was quite an improvement, especially on Res Evil.
I exchanged the cables twice, and the result appears to be the same. My PS3 seems to look great, but I guess that would be a direct result of the HDMI cable.
Anyway, thanks for your input. :)

I was quite impressed with the Wii, as this was the first thing I tried out on my HDTV, but then as soon as I plugged in my Xbox and set it to 720p mode I literally said "HOLY S**T!"

Please bear in mind that before this TV I was playing on a 14 inch 4:3 tv that wasn't even flat screen :lol:

I was quite impressed with the Wii, as this was the first thing I tried out on my HDTV, but then as soon as I plugged in my Xbox and set it to 720p mode I literally said "HOLY S**T!"

Yeah same here lol =X. And I started wondering what 1080p would look like with picture this good on 720p.

FRuMMaGe said:
Just got an HDTV and WOW!

I should see your purple controller arrive at my house any day now. Please box-up your HDTV and ship it to me before Sunday.

I dont know of any CRT displays that support progressive scan (thats what the P stands for) Cathode Ray Guns work on an interlaced basis so its pretty much a sure thing that a CRT display will not support Progressive Scan.

As for wii being HD etc, its not, it supports enhanced definition but not High Definition. TRUE HD is 1080p. 720p which a lot of your cheap 'hd' TV's goto is cut back HD and no where near as good.

Oh, and WiiSports played on an 8ft wide screen at 480p standing 12ft away is AMAZING!

stumac1985 said:
...WiiSports played on an 8ft wide screen at 480p standing 12ft away is AMAZING!

By projector? 8' wide or 8' diagonal? If projector, what model, lumens, and how far is it mounted from the screen?

Thanks!

LiquidD said:
D1nner, my tv is standard def and, trust me, it has the the green, blue and red output at the back. 480p is a standard thing.

Now we're all curious. Call me skeptical, what's the make and model of your TV.

Reason I ask is there ARE CRT TVs which are not standard def even though they are 4:3 format. My brother has a Sony Wega 26" 4:3 which supports 720x480 input and letterboxes or cuts the image to a 4:3 format. It doesn't look near as good as a cheap wide-LCD screen though.

I have an old RCA Colortrak series 27" which actually displays 800x600 through a special port and only from PCs. However, it doesn't have component, just F-connector, composite and S-Video inputs.

LiquidD said:
those wii component cables hardly make a difference. besides, you can use them in any tv since its just 480p. not really high def compared to everything else...

Well, very few standard definition televisions can produce 480p (they almost all universally run in 480i only). However, if you have component jacks on your television, you can use the cables. However, you'll still be running in 480i, and the difference will likely be negligible. In fact, many have reported that the games actually look WORSE with component cables into standard definition TV's running in 480i; they supposedly look very pixelated and jaggy or something.

LiquidD said:
mines is just standard but since the wii only puts out 480p, i still get the same resolution as your tv.

Not likely. Unless you have one of the rare standard defintion televisions that can run in 480p, you're running in 480i. What model television do you have? I've only ever heard of a small handful of standard definition televisions that can run in 480p, and they've all been really high end televisions (as in, you might as well just buy an HDTV).

Celestial said:
I bought some component cables when I got my 360... Splits into 3, PS3, Wii, and 360... Haven't tried it on the Wii yet... But hopefully it makes a difference because it looks so bad on my TV, so fuzzy it annoys me.

For whatever reason, Nintendo still doesn't understand the concept of anti-aliasing, even though computers have been doing it for over a decade, and the Xbox did it last generation (the PS2 might have as well).

D1nner said:
Actually, you cant.. since normal TVs dont have the red blue green output for the component cables and normal TVs dont support 480p input.

Dont think youve ever played on an HDTV...

You're half right. Most standard definition televisions these days DO have component inputs (i.e., red, green, blue) (my little 5 year old Toshiba has component inputs as did most decent TV's back when I bought it); however, very few support 480p.

LiquidD said:
if i had a camera, i would take pics of my standard tv and those blue, red, green cable output... but i don't so... whatever.

Your television probably does have component inputs--most do these days. But you're most likely mistaken in believing that your telvision outputs in 480p. Just because your television has component inputs, it does NOT mean your television can run in 480p. What is the model of your telvision (brand name and model number)?

stumac1985 said:
As for wii being HD etc, its not, it supports enhanced definition but not High Definition. TRUE HD is 1080p. 720p which a lot of your cheap 'hd' TV's goto is cut back HD and no where near as good.

The Pioneer Kuro plasmas are 720p and they absolutely rock :). Don't pay attention to spec#s too much, especially just resolution alone. PQ has lots of factors other than just 720 or 1080.

Back