Kid Icarus - Passwords

hiredgoonz

WiiChat Member
Jan 11, 2007
When you go to download Kid Icarus there is a message about the original game providing passwords, but that they will not work with the VC version.

This does not mean that you cannot use passwords, just that you can't use OLD passwords...

If you play, die, and receive a password, it will work. However, if you happen to have some 18 year old scraps of paper with Kid Icarus passwords on them, they're not going to work on the VC...

I just got that game today its fun but like all old games they need to understand a games not fun if you cant save after ever level (even Super Mario world, Golden Axe and other Kriby) have this problem I wish Nintendo would have fixed it.

down, up, left, left, A, right, down

Good old Mortal Kombat. Every time I go to a thread for ONE game, somebody else has to remind me of ANOTHER game I've been wanting to see on the VC.

i still remember the password for the last level on Kid Icarus off the top of my head ;)

"ICARUS FIGHTS MEDUSA ANGELS"

hehehe. im so clever :)
wonder if that still works!

Were do you enter the passwords??? I have all of them but I dont know where/how to enter them. Any help?

You CAN save after every level...after you die on a level the screen will display a 24 character password.

At the title screen, choose "Continue" and enter the password...

However, as I noted, the password system has been altered from the original NES game.

Passwords that worked on the old game (ICARUS FIGHTS MEDUSA ANGELS for example) will NOT work on the VC version (and I've tried a whole bunch of them).

The passwords that the VC game gives you are the only ones that work, so if you're trying passwords you got from an old Kid Icarus FAQ, they're not going to get you anywhere.

My guess is that they did this to keep the game "fresh." I see no technical reason why they would have to change the password system, but if you could just enter any old password and start off at a powerful level, a lot of people wouldn't take the time to actually play the game, which is the point after all ;)

I've played through level 1-4 and have working passwords for 1-2, 1-3, and 1-4...

^this is what I mean by Nintendo has double standards they want to keep the game classic yet they change it???

JerrodDRagon said:
^this is what I mean by Nintendo has double standards they want to keep the game classic yet they change it???

The game still plays exactly as it did on the NES all those years ago. It still has a 24 character password system which allows you to save your progress level by level, as it did all those years ago.

They simply changed the password generation table so that you can't just pop in some cheesy password you got from an FAQ and play the last level of the game, or start at the first level with all the items in the game.

Given that this is the internet age, I suspect people will start posting passwords for the game any time now, if you really don't want to play the game the way it was intended to be played, give it time. Someone will do the heavy lifting for you and you can completely miss the point of playing a game.

Honestly, I can see why they did it, it forces people to give the game a real try if they want to get anywhere in it. Had they left the old passwords active, a lot of people would have just put in a hacked password, beaten the final boss and been done with it...

But I also understand why this might upset some people...if I still had all my great passwords from almost 20 years ago, I'd want them to work.

They didn't change the game in any substantive way, in fact it gives the game something of a new start, sort of like when it originally came out. Not to get too geeky, but this is kinda cool in that if you want Kid Icarus "bragging rights" you're going to have to earn them.

In a way, this "unbreaks" the game. Being able to create any password you want from looking at the debugged ROM code sort of ruins the game...

FINALY!!! I originally got my WII for the VC. I was looking online to see if I could find an original NES and after learning that I could get the old games on my WII I went with it! Kid Icarus is one of the games that I wanted to get!!!! Ahh...the memories....
I can't wait to dive back into it!!!

orionstar11 said:
FINALY!!! I originally got my WII for the VC. I was looking online to see if I could find an original NES and after learning that I could get the old games on my WII I went with it! Kid Icarus is one of the games that I wanted to get!!!! Ahh...the memories....
I can't wait to dive back into it!!!

Ok, since you're an oldtimer too...do you think Kid Icarus is as hard as people make it out to be?

Since I got it when I was 11 (and had plenty of gaming time) I've never thought it was overly difficult, although I still have nightmares about eggplants from time to time :D

Anyway, I've seen it described as "kick you in the teeth" hard, but I never thought it was...

Back