kiddies system??

$?wii?$

WiiChat Member
Oct 24, 2006
on the gamespot forums alot of people were saying that:

PS3= adult system
Xbox 360= teen system
Wii= kiddies system!!!

it does kinda seem that way but do you agree?

well that place is full of PS3 and Xbox fanboys so i wouldnt listen to them. If anyone says it show them a viedeo of redsteel. Then scream in there facethat the legend of zelda TP is gonna be the best game of all time.

$?wii?$ said:
on the gamespot forums alot of people were saying that:

PS3= adult system
Xbox 360= teen system
Wii= kiddies system!!!

it does kinda seem that way but do you agree?
I'm sorry, but it has never been that way. Nintendo has always had their fair share of teen/mature titles. Just because it didn't have GTA or Manhunt or anything "mature" on doesn't mean it wasn't. I mean, look at the N64 Era. Along came Perfect Dark - Actual blood flowing. Turok series? I'm not sure how a gun that drills into a creatures head and detonates, in any way be considered "Kiddie". Again, on the cube, you've got Resident Evil series, Eternal Darkness etc... The Wii will keep the same trend with titles like Red Steel, Sadness and another one (that I cannot remember the name of at the moment).

Also, I'd just have to point out that Playstation and Xbox have also had their fair share of kiddie titles: Ratchet and Clank, Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Dexter, Sly Cooper, Spyro etc...

So in what way do they consider Nintendo "kiddie"? Suposedly because Nintendo themselves don't do "mature" titles. I ask you to look up Microsoft's and Sony's first party title lists. Compare that with their best selling games. Most, if not pretty much all of their best titles are from Third Party Developers. Nintendo? Their best selling titles are up their with the third party titles. Nintendo always has been and always will be a "family System" rather than a "kiddie" system. It's a concept behind the attraction of things like Shrek and the like - A lot of people liked it, not just "kiddies".

Also, I find it ironic that Playstation is considered an "adult" gaming machine, whereas Xbox is considered a "teen" machine, considering so many games are published on both! Also, the fact that Sony is renowned (earlier in Playstations life) for having GTA. Mature? Hardly. Considering most of the people that play it are teenagers. Even by considering GTA "mature" it would mean that Xbox was an "adult" system as well, for it too has GTA, and also Saints Row.

I emplore you: The next time somebody says Nintendo is a "kiddie" system, just say the titles of the mature titles published on any Nintendo console one by one. Without missing a beat, and without retaliation to anything else that person has to say. A lot of other factors are debatable. Nintendo doing "kiddie" systems is not.

its more like

ps3: Rich/or serious gamers
360: Decent bit of money needed bit not serious
Wii: Suitable for most casual gamers

Im not putting down any of them

No, I dont agree that the Wii is for kids only. I'm 17 and I'm getting the Wii. The wii is for everyone, there will be games for kids, teens, adults, men, women, etc.

in touch with the wii said:
^^ well said and show um this IGN: Japan Lines up For Wii
lol, funniest pic is the one for DS:

people-not-lining-up-for-ps3-20061109005635486-000.jpg

that sells out every week in japan.

i suppose nintendo are being underestimated... hopefully the WII will suceed!!

$?wii?$ said:
i suppose nintendo are being underestimated... hopefully the WII will suceed!!
Put it this way, the 4 million units launch of the Wii is sold out. Not even iOn can get one on launch - and he preordered too!

Just remember kids, a Wii is not just for christmas, It's for life! (especially with Nintendo's hardware - even my NES and SNES work to this day!)

MetroidZ said:
No, I dont agree that the Wii is for kids only. I'm 17 and I'm getting the Wii. The wii is for everyone, there will be games for kids, teens, adults, men, women, etc.

lol, funniest pic is the one for DS:

people-not-lining-up-for-ps3-20061109005635486-000.jpg

that sells out every week in japan.
if ypu like that then post on my thread about it lol

Also, I'd just have to point out that Playstation and Xbox have also had their fair share of kiddie titles: Ratchet and Clank, Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Dexter, Sly Cooper, Spyro etc...

Chicks dig you if you play Spyro, i'm serious. It's odd.

----

On topic: Most kids at my school either think the Wii is for kids or are just waiting and seeing how it does when it comes out. I am one of 3 people openly saying that we're getting a Wii on launch. I don't know why many people think the Wii is a kids system. I remember one person: "I just don't think it's going to be a real console. It might be fun but i think it's only for kids or the the very max a party system". Whatever i tried, he always said that he thought it was a kiddies system and that was it. lol, so stubborn but didnt' have a reason to justify it. I let him be, anyways,have a wait list of people coming over my house to try out the Wii (since our local gamestop is the only one in like miles and is swamped daily with people trying the Wii). After all my friends have tried it, they'll hopefully get one. :D

I'm nearly 25 years old and the Wii is the only next gen system I'm getting, and it's not for lack of money. I have an Xbox and a PS2 and I don't want to see suped up versions of them... it's like buying a honda civic and putting a tail pipe end on it to make it sound like a weed eater and painting it some stupid scheme. no matter what kind of paint and tires you put on it you are still driving a piece of crap civic. Nintendo is and will always bring the innovation and force others to compete buy simply making things more flashy....

Nintendo is and will always bring the innovation and force others to compete buy simply making things more flashy....

Nicely said. Sony and Microsoft will ALWAYS copy Nintendo. That's how it will be. They copy their stuff and then call it a 'kiddy system'.

COLDshiver said:
I don't know why many people think the Wii is a kids system.

Let me start by saying I don't own and have rarely played any of the Nintendo systems. I'm 31 and consider myself a casual gamer (currently own an xbox).

Part of the problem with the perception that Nintendo has is because there are more "kid style" games out there for it. Yes, it has Resident Evil and a few others but the PS and xbox likely has a MUCH higher percentage of games that are aimed at the more mature audience. I think most 20+ year olds are much more likely to want to play Halo or GTA than Mario Cart.

I like the innovation in the Wii (though I think not beefing up the system a bit it a big disappointment) and am planning on getting one. But I'm going to be keeping the xbox around for when I'm looking for the mature focus games.

On another note, many have said in defense of Nintendo not beefing up the system that you don't need HD graphics to have great gameplay. And I agree but that's a false dilemma. Great gameplay and HD graphics can definitely go together so you don't have to make a choice, you can have both. From everything I've heard, the Wii is basically not a whole lot more than an overclocked Gamecube with a few extras thrown in. I think part of the reason that it wasn't souped up more is because of the types of games being developed for it. Lot's of relatively simple models and a relatively low bit depth is needed. Again, Mario Cart puts fewer demands on the graphics card than Gears of War. People want to see the gritty realism in GoW, seeing the scars on other players and the grime on the walls. No one's going to complain if you can't see Mario's zits or the scratches on his hubcaps.

So Wii may have several mature games out there but the xbox has 5 Halo type games for every one of Nintendo's Resident Evil and Nintendo has 5 Mario games for each xbox equivalent.

Back