Lag time with wireless controllers?

David the Gnome

Gnomes!
Mar 6, 2007
Lexington, KY
I was playing Super Mario World on the virtual console this weekend with a buddy of mine and we both were doing absolutely horrendous. We both realised that there seemed to be a very slight delay in the time it took to press a button and for the game to react. In a game like Super Mario World, where so much depends on your reaction time, any delay is an extreme disadvantage. I pulled out my SNES and plugged in the original SMW cart and sure enough, we both did just as good (or at least almost as good) as we did when we played it as kids.

Is this delay just a problem inherent to the Wii?
Is it possible the placement of the Wii is causing the delay and I need to move it into plain sight?
-I keep it on the bottom shelf of my TV stand, almost at floor level.
Does anyone else have this problem?

i dont seem to have any delay..i play MOH: H2 online and for that game a delay could mean ur dead and i dont have any problems with reaction time or anything.

Try moving ur sensor bar around and seeing if ur reaction time gets better.

VC doesn't use sensor bar...
i thought i should have performed better on the VC's SMW, also... :yesnod:

The sensor bar has nothing to do with this. The sensor bar is simply 2 infrared LEDs that the IR camera on the nose of the Wii remote uses as additional feedback (along with the accelerometers) to determine where you're pointing and orientation. As idjut said, VC games don't use the sensor bar because they don't utilize pointing/tilting/etc. You're holding the remote sideways anyhow, so it can't even see the sensor bar.

My guess is that you're simply dealing with the processing lag price induced by running a game through emulation. Do you experience the same delay in NES games as you do in SNES games?

I have one of these for my computer, does anyone have the Wii adapter?

http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?categoryID=80

I'm thinking this would eliminate any lagtime present in the wireless connection, as well as alowing the use of a real SNES controller. The Wii Classic controller is decent but it just doesn't have the same quality d-pad as the original SNES controllers did; I also prefer the buttons on the original.

David the Gnome said:
I'm thinking this would eliminate any lagtime present in the wireless connection, as well as alowing the use of a real SNES controller. The Wii Classic controller is decent but it just doesn't have the same quality d-pad as the original SNES controllers did; I also prefer the buttons on the original.
You are assuming the lag is a result of the wireless connection. I have a feeling that is not the case. See what I wrote before.

I have Super Mario World 3 for VC and i have no delay....... so maybe is something else, maybe something is interfering with the signal from the wiimote to the wii.

~X

sremick said:
You are assuming the lag is a result of the wireless connection. I have a feeling that is not the case. See what I wrote before.
If the Wii has problems keeping SNES games running at their proper speed there's no way it could emulate N64 games. I don't think it's an issue of emulation-lag.

David the Gnome said:
If the Wii has problems keeping SNES games running at their proper speed there's no way it could emulate N64 games. I don't think it's an issue of emulation-lag.
There are still other factors that could be involved. You never answered the question I asked several posts up: do you experience the same problem with NES games on VC?

What type of TV do you have?

Some flat panel HDTVs introduce a lag because of the video processing needed in order to scale the video signal to the TV's native resolution. It's not noticeable on all HDTVs though and with some of those, there is a "game" mode that cuts out some of the video processing in order to reduce or eliminate lag.

If you have a regular CRT tube type TV then that should not be a problem though.

Skippy said:
What type of TV do you have?

Some flat panel HDTVs introduce a lag because of the video processing needed in order to scale the video signal to the TV's native resolution. It's not noticeable on all HDTVs though and with some of those, there is a "game" mode that cuts out some of the video processing in order to reduce or eliminate lag.

If you have a regular CRT tube type TV then that should not be a problem though.
I've got a Samsung 37" LCD HDTV. I'll see if there is a game mode, I believe I saw it in the options. The Wii has an HDTV option in the settings but I can't select it since I only have the standard 3-prong connector.

sremick said:
There are still other factors that could be involved. You never answered the question I asked several posts up: do you experience the same problem with NES games on VC?
I am not certain, the only NES game I have on there is SMB. I'll have to test it out later.

Back