LAN Adapter

CHUCKrock

WiiChat Member
Jun 18, 2007
Do I really need a Nintendo made USB LAN adapter?? I just bought a Linksys one and dont feel like going back to return it. Is there anyway to make it work?? Thanks.

For the most part yes. However I did post a thread about using third party adapters.

The Nintendo brand adapter uses a specific model number of chip. There are other manufacturers that bought/use the same chip. If you can find a model with the same chip the Wii can be "tricked" into using it.

Unfortunately your linksys adapter will most likely not work.

Any reason you aren't using the on board wireless?

edit: voila http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii...xpensive-network-adatpers-compatible-wii.html

Last edited:
i cant use wireless in my house to run stuff for work so everything is wired. Such a scam they couldnt put a basic ethernet port into the console.

CHUCKrock said:
i cant use wireless in my house to run stuff for work so everything is wired. Such a scam they couldnt put a basic ethernet port into the console.

You are complaining that the Wii included wireless over wired? I promise that you are in the extreme minority. It would have been FAR cheaper to include a wired ethernet port.

I don't understand why you can't use the wireless for the Wii. If they are connected to the same internet connection it won't effect the function.

ha im always in the minority it seems...i just didnt want to buck up for a wireless router and i like the speed of wired

CHUCKrock said:
i like the speed of wired
I agree that the speed and stability of wired is nice for the local network but you have to consider your internet speed.

The average fastest sustained DSL or cable only runs at 6mbps. Having wired or a wireless connection beyond that point isnt going to make much difference especially for the Wii!

I know you can get bursts of higher speeds but have you ever seen over 700kbps on a single connection over your line? Even 802.11B is fast enough to handle that.

ciper said:
You are complaining that the Wii included wireless over wired? I promise that you are in the extreme minority. It would have been FAR cheaper to include a wired ethernet port.

I don't understand why you can't use the wireless for the Wii. If they are connected to the same internet connection it won't effect the function.

the only reaseon they did this is becasue the kinda wana make money..that why they made the wirless adapter

Back