LAN adapter

URUman

WiiChat Member
Aug 2, 2007
Ok, I've had WIFI Max for awhile now, and it's a piece of crap!! it only works when it wants to, and I've never gotten it to work two days in a row. I've tried all the USB ports, called tech support numerous time, and aparently my wii is too far away from the dongle (computer is upstairs, wii is downstairs, the complete other side of the house... it works partially, like, if I log into the internet channel, I can get in, but it crashes when I try to go to a website... and when I try wii system updates, it goes for about an inch, and then crashes... the funny thing is, it's worked fine with WIFI max before (not reliably, but there were times when it worked, and stayed working for the whole day) so I was thinking... what about the LAN adapter? how exactly does that work? does it work at all? is it reliable? and, would I be able to use it. as I said, my wii is on the other side of the house, and my dad's computer connects using a wired rouder, to this computer. help would be appriciated :D

Well the Wii LAN Adapter works for wired connections. People say it's faster then Wi-Fi or wireless connection.

You would unplug the console from the wall, plug the LAN Adapter into a USB port in the Wii, plug an ethernet cord into the LAN Adapter, plug the other end into a wired router, then plug the Wii back in and test a Wired Connection.

so... I think I get it... instead of having a single dongle connecting to the wii, there's one on the wii, and one on the computer? also, will I have to unplug my rouder when I wish to use it or something? will the computer have to be on for it to work?

I don't understand what you are asking really. But you do not plug any USB Wi-Fi Adapters or Dongles into the Wii. Any USB Wi-Fi Adapter or Dongles you would plug in your computer. The Wii has it's built-in Wi-Fi. But a Lan Adapter hook-up would look like this.

Wii + LAN Adapter <------ Wired Router <------ Computer

You don't have to keep the computer on for a router or the LAN Adapter. As long as the router is plugged in and on, it's fine. However, for USB Wi-Fi Adapters, I think you have to keep the computer on. I'm not sure.

If this doesn't answer your question, please let me know. I don't really understand what you are asking.

Last edited:
Ok, well I'm basically asking, will I have to do anything like, unplug anything on the rouder, or can I just plug it in, and use it? since my computer and wii are on opisite sides of the house, will I be able to connect good?

I don't think there is a huge impact on the speed if the length of the wire varies.

If you have any LAN (or wired computer) ports available on the router, you won't need to unplug anything. You would just plug in to a LAN (or wired computer) port.

Wait... so I have to run a wire through my house to get to my wii? it'd have to be pretty long... and, where would the LAN port be? is it part of the rouder? is it a USB port?

That's what the Wii LAN Adapter is for...wired connections.

A LAN port is one of the 5 ports behind the wired router. The WAN port is unlike the other 4. The WAN port is for a modem. A LAN port is for a wired computer (or ,of course, the LAN Adapter). You would need to plug the LAN Adapter into a USB port behind the Wii (make sure the Wii is unplugged from the wall first, making it completely off), plug an ethernet cable into the LAN Adapter, plug the other end of the ethernet cable into a LAN port of the wired router, then you can plug the Wii back in and test a Wired Connection.

Last edited:
ok... I see, but will the cord be long enough? I mean... how long is it anyway?

What cord do you mean? Do you mean the cord that plug the LAN Adapter into the Wii? It will be short (probably about 1 foot), so you will need a loooooooooooong ethernet cable. If the router is an extremely long distance away from the Wii, there should be some 100ft cables on the internet. Google search 100 ft ethernet cable.

i have a lan adapter it works great hasnt failed me yet only downside i cant use internet and wii at same time.
all you do is connect lan adapter to back off wii and then ethernet cable to lan adapter and there you go.

but obviously you pc has to be really close or you ethernet cable has to be really long.

Back