lan adaptor problem

scottyboy77

WiiChat Member
Mar 29, 2007
ok...i tried usb dongle and got really close to connecting but not close enough.i went out and bought lan adaptor and ethernet cable.did what it says and plugged it in with wii turned off and plugged other end into modem.

connection test failed.

lights are flashing on both adaptor and modem so i guess they're "talking" to each other but i must be doing something wrong.

Anybody help ????

thanks in advance.

why do you need a usb dongle? the wii has built in wifi already. I'm a bit confused. And perhaps your modem is not compatible with wii? I think your best bet is to call Ninty customer service.

Not sure. Try the Nintendo help for online.

Perhaps problems with firewalls or something?

What is your configuration? (i.e. router, broadband, firewall software etc...)

ntl_modem_sml.jpg

im_5.jpg

1.usb 2.ethernet 3.power 4.broadband

modem is connected to pc with usb cable.i've tried to connect wii with ethernet cable plugged in and usb unplugged but that didn't work.

i also have a sis 900-based pci fast ethernet adaptor (disabled) in pc. nothing plugged into it and never used it.

dont have a router.

got windows firewall and norton turned off.

usb dongle was for my ds but i tried to use it with wii but it wouldn't stay connected.

see http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-online/21670-staying-connected-problem.html

Most broadband modems can only give one IP address if your computer is connected by usb, you will not (although I have seen it happen) be able to connect using ethernet to any other equipment that requires an IP address. what you will need to do is disconnect the USB, powercycle the modem, and after it has sync try the wii's connection test. That is just short term fix. I would suggest you get a router.

thanks

thank you virtualdreadlock.like you said its only a short term fix but it works and it will do me fine. thanks again.

scottyboy77: Can you connect your computer to the cable modem using an ethernet cable as well? If so you could modify the MAC address of the PC to match your WII and then you wouldnt need to power cycle the cable modem every time, just unplug the PC and plug the Wii in. If you constantly power cycle the cable modem you may not get the full speed of your connection.

Back