Law of Murphy:Betamax

rtr1900

Wii or not to Wii
Nov 30, 2006
Spain
Wii Online Code
3085-1225-3534-6165
Ok,
Maybe it hasn´t got anything to do with GFX. But yesterday I was reading a book about the Murphy Laws and one was called "Law of betamax" and it said:
"When two new tecnologies are in Battle, the less powerfull one will survive and win the Battle"

Now this phrase caught me because:

Fight: 3,5" disc VS CDROM
Winner 3,5" (no, really, every PC still has one after almost 20 years and no advances)

Fight: VHS V Betamx
Winner: VHS

Fight:
Gameboy Vs GameGear and Lynx
Winner: Gameboy :thumbsup:

Fight:
Wii Vs PS3 and X360
Winner: Wii :thumbsup:

Ok, call me crazy. But it sounds sweet and great......

http://www.wiichat.com/lounge/

Very true in most cases, but I think Blu-Ray is going to take it this time. HD-DVD is losing support big time. Universal has announced 0 HD-DVD titles for this year and a lot of HD-DVD fans are going out and buying PS3s. Here's what some had to say: (credit to Stromprophet @ VGCharts forums)

"Wow... completely shocked here. I'm sitting here looking at the announced lists for the first 3 months of the year. I want brokeback and the mummy returns and the departed. On the other side, there's 14 titles I'd get. I think I'm just buying Universal only for my A2 at this point and going Blu-ray for everything else. My PS3 will be opened on April 24... by B-day."

"For the first time since I bought my HD-A1 and added over 100 HD DVD discs to my collection, I am going to have to consider curtailing the purchase of any additional titles. I will probably cancel my Amazon pre-orders as well. I have been a huge supporter of the format by purchasing equipment and software with zeal. But Universal's lack of enthusiasm dare I say it... has me turning Blu. I was anticipating some huge announcements but we didn't even get a hint of what is to come.

I think the earlier HD DVD announcements were stellar. I predicted the terrific hardware news but I was also depending on Universal to pull out all the stops to help boost HD DVD beyond the first quarter. If this is some sort of strategy, it seems pretty damn foolish to me. I am wondering if they are actually re-considering exclusive support. Regardless of the new Toshiba announcements, losing Universal's exclusive support would certainly deliver a death blow and even I would consider having to make an incredibly painful decision."

"Wow, makes me feel glad I went with HD-DVD before Blu. I was already planning on going neutral and getting a PS3 by the spring, and still loving my HD-DVD, but with this kind of "support", I'm half thinking it may not be a bad idea to sell my HD-A1 to help pay for it."

"exclusivity is a prime factor here. Universal is the only major studio that was backing hd dvd. quite a few bd exclusive movies are being announced. not so for hd dvd. i'm gettin a ps3. not because i want to, but because i have to if i ever want to see these movies in hi def."

"As supporter of both, I have to say that I am dissapointed. Come on, this is CES, where all companies get everyone pumped up about what is to come. Even if Universal plans on releasing 300 titles in the following year, its still a disappointment considering this is CES. I know people will come in here to defend HD-DVD, but face it, today is a gloomy day for HD-DVD no matter how many things you pull out your ass to defend it. I hope they keep releasing universal titles because I want them, but I have a PS3 and I must say that Blu-Ray will definitely be getting most of my money this year. Also I was looking at universals library. And they don't have a "Ton" of hits left in the catalogue, though they do have a decent amount that I will hold on to my A2."

"Universal, you made me do it. PS3 owner now. No, I'm not abandoning HD DVD. I was a supporter from the get go and will continue to be, own 70+ titles and counting, but life is to short to be playing this waiting game. Many of us held our collective breath for months for OUR Super Bowl, CES. Well, you let me down brother."

WuZeMu said:
and thats why nintendo left out HD-DVD AANNDD BlueRay, so in a few years they could go with the winner!
Not hardly, Nintendo didn't need more than 8.4GB for their games. The only next gen system that includes either is the PS3, and that was obviously included just to push Blu-Ray ahead.

Back