Lawsuits

sagema

3D Artist
Dec 5, 2006
NY
Wii Online Code
4496-9128-1304-3457
Sony is getting sued again. This time over Blue Ray itself! I think these types of law suits are ridiculous. I remember people trying to sue Nintendo for the Wii remote. People who don't even design game consoles. No one should be sued for something this lame. Opinions?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6171498.html

yes its true.

have you not played a PS3?

its ok if you havent, but if you do, you'll realize the controllers are very light because of the absence of a rumble feature.

sagema said:
Sony is getting sued again. This time over Blue Ray itself! I think these types of law suits are ridiculous. I remember people trying to sue Nintendo for the Wii remote. People who don't even design game consoles. No one should be sued for something this lame. Opinions?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6171498.html

Translation of the article:

Some company is trying to milk money out of the following companies behind blue ray:
Apple Computer, Inc.
Dell Inc.
Hewlett Packard Company
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
TDK Corporation
Thomson Multimedia
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures
Warner Bros. Entertainment

This is what the company claims is their patent:
"that products marketed under the Blu-ray name infringe on a patent it owns for reflective layer materials in optical discs. The patent addresses what Target called a need for specific types of silver-based alloys with the advantages (but not the price) of gold. According to the patent, the alloys are also more resistant to corrosion than pure silver."

This is traslated to: "you used a reflective metal that we thought up". Which is like suing a company for using plywood or plastic. If you take a blend of oak wood and cedar wood, and make a plywood out of it for better support, then if someone claims they own the rights for that wood mixture you can get sued.

Its rediculous and this lawsuit will fail. The Judge will laugh and the case will be over.

I'm still furious about the lady who spilled hot coffee on her lap and won the lawsuit. I hope the judge throws it out. Sony fought hard to put everything into the Blue Ray technology.

sagema said:
I'm still furious about the lady who spilled hot coffee on her lap and won the lawsuit. I hope the judge throws it out. Sony fought hard to put everything into the Blue Ray technology.

oh? do you feel differently about sony now?

^^You know thats a good question!^^ Then again who am i say, i used to do the say thing, but ever since, i realized that you cant just bash a console for no reason, i mean everything has to have a reason behind it!!
And well, "i found out that mine was over foolishness!"
(Oh well, lets get back to topic shall we)

I don't like idiots. But even more than that I don't like people who reward idiots. Geesh Shift, you can't comprehend something that simple?

sagema said:
I don't like idiots. But even more than that I don't like people who reward idiots. Geesh Shift, you can't comprehend something that simple?

So im an idiot huh?
You know, i could have sworn on the majority of your posts that YOU were one of the people bashing on the ps3, and so now, i am going to ask the same question Shift asked!! Do you have a change of mind of the ps3? I mean why dont you show at least that you have a SET to tell the truth about Sony, and stop being in denial!!:yesnod:

he clearly addresses shift in that post....so if you weren't one before, you are definitely an idiot now.

"Target called a need for specific types of silver-based alloys with the advantages (but not the price) of gold. According to the patent, the alloys are also more resistant to corrosion than pure silver."

"Irvine, CA-based Target Technology Co. LLC alleges that Sony has directly infringed on a patent for an invention originally issued on March 28th, 2006. The technology behind this patent involves coating optical discs with a thin film of silver-based alloy, which makes them more reflective and less susceptible to corrosion. Target Technology founder Han Nee claims to have personally developed this technology, which is currently in use with the majority of DVDs in production today.

Target's patent in this particular case, entitled "metal alloys for the reflective or the semi-reflective layer of an optical storage medium", has been filed under U.S. Patent Number 7,018,696."

This patent is pretty specific to the use of the material. (And the technology is already in use with dvds? The company must be benefitting financially from this already). It may carry some weight in the legal system (I'm not overly familiar with the American legal system) but as a patent its pretty defined to the material - its benefits - and its usage.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this... In about 5 years once its been through the courts.

Back