LCD TV Monitor for Wii & PC! *Help*

Shibby

Touch my Wii?
Mar 11, 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I figure out of all forums everywhere, you guys and girls would know what works and what doesn't (hopefully lol...)

Anyways as of right now I don't have a TV at school and have a regular 19'' PC monitor. I would like to kill two birds with one stone and get a LCD TV Monitor for my PC and *future* Wii. This is because it will have the correct inputs and outputs I would need for both.

Question #1

Would I need the "component / composite" Wii cables for the LCD TV instead of the ones the Wii originally comes with?

Question #2

What LCD TV Monitor would you guys suggest? I've been looking around newegg.com for about 3 days and found plenty of options that would work. Here are a few to give you an idea what I'm looking for.

19 inch (notice all the inputs and outputs, such as VGA / HDMI / Optical Audio for my 5.1 speakers)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234006

23 inch (same deal with inputs and all that)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102123

26 inch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889101107

32 inch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005019

Also remember that I'd use it for a PC Monitor and a TV for the Wii. I'm not necessary going to be watching TV on it but just to play Wii.

In a perfect world I would find or one of you find a good size LCD TV Monitor that would suit both situations and for a reasonable price. (A lower response time like 5-6ms would be cool with a higher resolution 1900x1200 would be so clutch)

Any help is appreciated! I can show off my Wii in my dorm room if we can find a good fit!

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Which Component Cable? - Dealextreme ($5.78 including shipping)

ANY cable... really... i got my 3 footer for $6.81 AFTER shipping from ebay.

ANY component cable made for wii. just dont' get one of those cables that supports, wii, 360, and ps3 all the same time... pricey!

ANY wii component cable 3 to 6 feet long... the shorter, the better! :yesnod:

My Wii is connected to a 20.1" Widescreen PC Monitor (VGA D-sub connection). I use the KWorld TVBox 1680ex to connect the Wii and other video components to this monitor.

$62 after shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815260010R&ATT=15-260-010R&CMP=OTC-Froogle&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Video+Devices+++TV+Tuners-_-Kworld+Computer+Co.+Ltd-_-15260010R

It supports 1080p audio, HD-TV tuner, Svideo, and RCA, etc.

See Spoiler for SPECS!
:yesnod:

Model Brand document.write(neg_specification_newline('KWORLD')); KWORLD Model document.write(neg_specification_newline('KW-SA220')); KW-SA220 Specifications TV Tuner document.write(neg_specification_newline('Yes')); Yes FM Tuner document.write(neg_specification_newline('No')); No Remote Control document.write(neg_specification_newline('Yes')); Yes Interface document.write(neg_specification_newline('VGA')); VGA Video Display document.write(neg_specification_newline('800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1680x1050')); 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1680x1050 Ports In document.write(neg_specification_newline('Composite video input (RCA)
S-Video input (4PIN)
YPbPr input (RCA)
VGA input
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm)')); Composite video input (RCA)
S-Video input (4PIN)
YPbPr input (RCA)
VGA input
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm) Ports Out document.write(neg_specification_newline('D-SUB output
Composite video output
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm)')); D-SUB output
Composite video output
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm) System Requirements document.write(neg_specification_newline('No specific PC system required
LCD, CRT, Plasma or projectors with VGA or Component Video input
Video input device (e.g. VCR, V8, DVD player, TV game console etc.)')); No specific PC system required
Video input device (e.g. VCR, V8, DVD player, TV game console etc.) Specifications document.write(neg_specification_newline('Power: 5V DC, 800mA')); Power: 5V DC, 800mA Features Features document.write(neg_specification_newline('Supports widescreen LCD 1680x1050 resolution LCD TV Box
*Compatible with (VGA(800x600), XGA(1024x768), SXGA(1280x1024), WXGA+(1440X900), 1680X1050
Includes advanced scanning frequency increasing technology to make the refresh rate up to 60Hz or 75Hz, which delivers stable pictures without flicker.
Supports 4:3/16:9 / 16:10 picture aspect ratio.
Allows multi-channel pre-view function to facilitate the channel selection.
Enables still-picture function, which allows you to capture wonderful moments in TV program.
Special PIP function: window size and position are adjustable. (*PIP Mode can’t work on 1680x1050)
Full-function remote control.
3D-effect OSD to give easy operations.
AV/S-VIDEO/YPbPr input interface can be extended by using MMI cable so that the product can be connected with DVD, PS2 game machine etc. The product supports standard-definition and high-definition signal input (480I/ 480P/ 576I/ 576P/ 720P/ 1080I).
Auxiliary functions such as automatic power up or shutdown within 24 hours, calendar, calculator, game and etc.
Channel number ordering function allows you to arrange the order of programs as your favorites.
PC/TV changeover switch.
Support video output function.
Built in Speaker so there is no need for external speakers')); Supports widescreen LCD 1680x1050 resolution LCD TV Box
*Compatible with (VGA(800x600), XGA(1024x768), SXGA(1280x1024), WXGA+(1440X900), 1680X1050
Includes advanced scanning frequency increasing technology to make the refresh rate up to 60Hz or 75Hz, which delivers stable pictures without flicker.
Enables still-picture function, which allows you to capture wonderful moments in TV program.
Special PIP function: window size and position are adjustable. (*PIP Mode can’t work on 1680x1050)
AV/S-VIDEO/YPbPr input interface can be extended by using MMI cable so that the product can be connected with DVD, PS2 game machine etc. The product supports standard-definition and high-definition signal input (480I/ 480P/ 576I/ 576P/ 720P/ 1080I).
Auxiliary functions such as automatic power up or shutdown within 24 hours, calendar, calculator, game and etc.
Channel number ordering function allows you to arrange the order of programs as your favorites.
PC/TV changeover switch.
Built in Speaker so there is no need for external speakers

I would probably go with the biggest you can afford. From a quick glance at the specs, they all seem to be pretty good. The 32" has the lowest response time/highest contrast ratio, so thats something to think about as well.

Having said that, you mentioned you're going to use it as a monitor as well as for your Wii - do you mean it will be sitting on your desk as your full time monitor? If so, the 32" probably wouldn't be too good....since its close up and much lower resolution than a monitor.

idjut said:
My Wii is connected to a 20.1" Widescreen PC Monitor (VGA D-sub connection). I use the KWorld TVBox 1680ex to connect the Wii and other video components to this monitor.

$62 after shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815260010R&ATT=15-260-010R&CMP=OTC-Froogle&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Video+Devices+++TV+Tuners-_-Kworld+Computer+Co.+Ltd-_-15260010R

It supports 1080p audio, HD-TV tuner, Svideo, and RCA, etc.

See Spoiler for SPECS!
:yesnod:

Model Brand document.write(neg_specification_newline('KWORLD')); KWORLD Model document.write(neg_specification_newline('KW-SA220')); KW-SA220 Specifications TV Tuner document.write(neg_specification_newline('Yes')); Yes FM Tuner document.write(neg_specification_newline('No')); No Remote Control document.write(neg_specification_newline('Yes')); Yes Interface document.write(neg_specification_newline('VGA')); VGA Video Display document.write(neg_specification_newline('800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1680x1050')); 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1680x1050 Ports In document.write(neg_specification_newline('Composite video input (RCA)
S-Video input (4PIN)
YPbPr input (RCA)
VGA input
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm)')); Composite video input (RCA)
S-Video input (4PIN)
YPbPr input (RCA)
VGA input
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm) Ports Out document.write(neg_specification_newline('D-SUB output
Composite video output
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm)')); D-SUB output
Composite video output
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm) System Requirements document.write(neg_specification_newline('No specific PC system required
Video input device (e.g. VCR, V8, DVD player, TV game console etc.)')); No specific PC system required
Video input device (e.g. VCR, V8, DVD player, TV game console etc.) Specifications document.write(neg_specification_newline('Power: 5V DC, 800mA')); Power: 5V DC, 800mA Features Features document.write(neg_specification_newline('Supports widescreen LCD 1680x1050 resolution LCD TV Box
PC/TV changeover switch.
Built in Speaker so there is no need for external speakers')); Supports widescreen LCD 1680x1050 resolution LCD TV Box
PC/TV changeover switch.
Built in Speaker so there is no need for external speakers

"Deactivated Item"

D:

Found two other ones (the same thing :wink: )

One is a lower res one

[URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260010"][/URL]

and a higher res one for a little more money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260014

Just plug the Wii in with the cables supplied with that product?

15-260-014-03.jpg

So if I got that box I could just use a regular PC Monitor then right?

such as this monitor idjut

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16824155054&ATT=24-155-054&CMP=OTC-17exta6&cm_mmc=OTC-17exta6-_-Monitors+-+LCD+Flat+Panel-_-KDS-_-24155054

Thanks so much for your help so far, I'm learning new things like every second on these wonderful forums!

<3 :cool:

Last edited:
link1305 said:
I would probably go with the biggest you can afford. From a quick glance at the specs, they all seem to be pretty good. The 32" has the lowest response time/highest contrast ratio, so thats something to think about as well.

Having said that, you mentioned you're going to use it as a monitor as well as for your Wii - do you mean it will be sitting on your desk as your full time monitor? If so, the 32" probably wouldn't be too good....since its close up and much lower resolution than a monitor.

Yes I would like to also use it as a PC Monitor while at school as well. With what idjut said I could get a normal "bigger" LCD Monitor and still use Wii on that without all those composite cable hook ups.

Many will argue you need a big screen for a Wii (such as sports because you stand) but I would play SSBB sitting down in front of it.

i don't think i bought anything more!

great find on the pics... all cables are included :wink:

Last edited:
link1305 said:
With that monitor I don't think you would even need to buy the converter box that idjust posted, because it comes with a Component-to-VGA cable. The reviews look pretty positive, and < 400 for a 24" isn't bad at all! I'd go for it.

Edit: Haha, in fact I think I might just get one ;)

Nooo! Not before I do :lol:

I think it has VGA to component, not the other way around.

But if that is the case then you could get these cables

http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/ATLONA-VGA-FEMALE-TO-RGBHV-MALE-BREAKOUT-VIDEO-ADAPTER-p-17301.html

female component to male VGA

BUT! I heard this doesn't work from reading on the forums, usually get the "cannot find input or something"

need a second or third opinion on that though

EDIT -

check this Wii to VGA cable, which would make the box not needed right?

http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=2&category_id=3&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

a56662435d0eddb7ab0ba5392b7a5126.jpg

Last edited:
look at the model you found since it's newer than mine ...mine does have a TV tuner and HDTV tuner

the VGA cable does not

idjut said:
look at the model you found since it's newer than mine ...mine does have a TV tuner and HDTV tuner

the VGA cable does not

Think I should go with the Wii VGA Cable ($40)

http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=2&category_id=3&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

or just get the

KWORLD TVBox 1920ex Output up to 1920x1200 w/YPbPr 1080i input - Retail ($90)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260014

Seems like for that $50 more I'd get TV on my monitor if need be right?

:aureola:

EDIT -

I'm curious if anyone knows if this would work. Lets say I get that TVBox which has 'audio inputs' does that mean I cannot get a Optical audio cable with a Digital Optical (Toslink) Female / 3.5mm Male on the end of it going into the TVBox and the other end of the cable going into my Logitech 5.1 5500 speakers?

15-260-014-07.jpg

Optical Cable
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812120019

Adapter
http://www.national-tech.com/specs/30f2-71200.htm

Really be nice to be able to use my PC Speakers instead of the crappy 2W's that are on most PC monitors.

Last edited:
I'm curious if anyone knows if this would work. Lets say I get that TVBox which has 'audio inputs' does that mean I cannot get a Optical audio cable with a Digital Optical (Toslink) Female / 3.5mm Male on the end of it going into the TVBox and the other end of the cable going into my Logitech 5.1 5500 speakers?

I'm pretty sure that would not work, because the TVBox only take analog audio input. Even if you use the Optical->3.5mm adapter, the signal is still in optical form...which won't be recognized by the tvbox.

link1305 said:
I'm pretty sure that would not work, because the TVBox only take analog audio input. Even if you use the Optical->3.5mm adapter, the signal is still in optical form...which won't be recognized by the tvbox.

Hmmm :scared: your probably right.

In that case, would there be anyway I could hook the Wii's sound (TVBox's sound? / Wii VGA Cable sound?) to my Computer speakers (monitor speakers usually suck...)?

36-121-120-17.jpg

Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120

I guess I'm a little confused with that Kworld TVBox device - all the connections are labeled "Input", so which is the output? I assume the VGA connector is the only video output, which means one of the 3.5mm audio jacks would go directly to your speakers (most likely the green one). They provide you with a 3.5mm audio cable, so you should be all set in that respect.

Nevertheless, if you wanted to connect the audio output from your wii directly to your computer without going through this little box, you would just need to get one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882196031

It takes the left and right channel (RCA) as input, and the output connects to your front channel jack on your speakers (green).

Back