left-handed wii players?

yellowlizard

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2006
Northern Ireland!
I didn't realise that the wii having two control devices might pose a problem for lefties like myself, in fps' for example with aiming

Now, i haven't played it so this might be a bit silly, but would this actually be a problem?

thanks for your replies

They've probably taken left-handed individuals into consideration aye. Seems to be a matter of making a lefty-option toggle, then just switching which hand you're holding the wiimote and chuck in.

If they've thought about it (which knowing Nintendo, they probably have), it most probably won't be an issue.

No worries, though if the option is within Wii sports, does that mean you'd have to toggle the feature in every game you play?

Surely there'll be like a setting on the Wii's "home screen" or whatever right?

I personally don't care. Did they make different controllers for lefty's on other consoles? Different mouses for computers? Different types of cars? The list goes on and on. I really don't care, and will learn how to use it with my right hand like I normally do. I never use the left -handed controller settings for any other games..

I'm also a leftie, and for Wii Boxing, I pretty much had to do everything completely opposite. Everyone looks at me as if I'm holding the controller wrong, but I then try the other way, only to feel uncomfortable with having the Wiimote on the righthand and the nunchuck on the left.

True. But I mean, you can get used to it over time maybe.

This isn't really much of an issue for me, cause it's just a small aspect but: I looked at the scans of the Zelda: Twilight Princess manual... -I'll be talking about fishing controls here, not much of a spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway-

It had a diagram that you hold the wiimote upright with the right hand, and the nunchuck horizontally on the left, then you reel in your fish by reeling your left hand, I'm used to reeling with the right hand on a proper rod.
So it'll be something I have to get used to. Ofcourse it's a bigger issue for you for obvious reasons, but in either case, would you be willing to adjust to right hand gaming (unintentional sex innuendo's ftl...) if the lefty-flip function isn't available? It most probably will be there though.

Last edited:
BlightedArt said:
True. But I mean, you can get used to it over time maybe.

This isn't really much of an issue for me, cause it's just a small aspect but: I looked at the scans of the Zelda: Twilight Princess manual... -I'll be talking about fishing controls here, not much of a spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway-

It had a diagram that you hold the wiimote upright with the right hand, and the nunchuck horizontally on the left, then you reel in your fish by reeling your left hand, I'm used to reeling with the right hand on a proper rod.
So it'll be something I have to get used to. Ofcourse it's a bigger issue for you for obvious reasons, but in either case, would you be willing to adjust to right hand gaming (unintentional sex innuendo's ftl...) if the lefty-flip function isn't available? It most probably will be there though.

you dont have to do it the exact way they show it. you can reel in with your right hand. just hold the wiimote in your left hand and nunchuck in your right. the game has no way of telling that it isnt in the correct hand

itzzbalaez said:
I personally don't care. Did they make different controllers for lefty's on other consoles? Different mouses for computers? Different types of cars? The list goes on and on. I really don't care, and will learn how to use it with my right hand like I normally do. I never use the left -handed controller settings for any other games..
Yeah, they make mouses for us.. I have one in my hand right now

My brother is left handed, and he kicks my ass at Madden 07. I mean whether you're left handed or right handed, a left stiff arm still means swing the Wii-mote to the left. He just holds the Wii-mote in his left hand and nunchuck in his right. He didnt have to toggle anything, and like I said... I can't beat him :(

I'm left handed and I played everything right-handed it took about 5 minutes to get used to, just like using a mouse or something like that

Back