Linux Live CD for the Wii?

Mitch2025 said:
then how would you get it back into Wii mode if everytime you boot it after inserting the DVD it goes to linux?

I didnt say that every time you boot it it would go to linux. Have you ever used the loaders for Playstation or Dreamcast? Input boot CD, let it load. Then open disk drive and insert 'backup' disk, then you are playing the game as if it was the origional copy. Its the same reason you can eject your Wii sports while at the menu, the menu is in the RAM, not the hard disk. The RAM is flushed each time system is powered off. Therefore it boot normal next boot.

Disk swapping is quite the norm in 'playing' with VG councils. You guys have seriously never heard of that?

-Bobby

bobby1211 said:
I didnt say that every time you boot it it would go to linux. Have you ever used the loaders for Playstation or Dreamcast? Input boot CD, let it load. Then open disk drive and insert 'backup' disk, then you are playing the game as if it was the origional copy. Its the same reason you can eject your Wii sports while at the menu, the menu is in the RAM, not the hard disk. The RAM is flushed each time system is powered off. Therefore it boot normal next boot.

Disk swapping is quite the norm in 'playing' with VG councils. You guys have seriously never heard of that?

-Bobby

ah ok. i understand. thats how my original PSOne gameshark worked. you load the gameshark CD and load up the codes you want then swap it with the original disc.

Homesrfan said:
That's gonna be really slow though. :p
Awesome though. I probably won't download it though.

idk... linux is a lot more efficient than windows, so...

Heh, you're upset that its running mandrake but happy its running KDE? KDE is teh mega bloat!11oneone

Anyways, You would be able to watch dvds, the USB "driver" or module as they are known will be included and btw WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator. ;)

The only thing I see a problem with is the BCM43xx drivers are kinda screwey for me. It may have just been my router though....

jeebsroxors said:
Heh, you're upset that its running mandrake but happy its running KDE? KDE is teh mega bloat!11oneone

Anyways, You would be able to watch dvds, the USB "driver" or module as they are known will be included and btw WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator. ;)

The only thing I see a problem with is the BCM43xx drivers are kinda screwey for me. It may have just been my router though....

I have no idea what to say...because I have no idea what "mega bloat" means.

And yes, Mandriva is pretty sucky. Unless it comes with Penguin Race.

Homesrfan said:
That's gonna be really slow though. :p
Awesome though. I probably won't download it though.
slow? You can run linux on a DX2? now that is slow ><

gh05t said:
its not a free download in N america.....
I heard it was free who had consoles up till june 07?

gh05t said:
its not a free download in N america.....

as far as I know it is:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732745p1.html said:
Internet Channel
Go here to access the Opera internet browser. In addition to supporting flash (making this a step up from the DS browser), the browser uses the Wiimote to zoom in and out. The browser will normally cost money, but Nintendo will make it available for free download until June of 2006.

Please post your source stating otherwise?

-Bobby

dont go to the wiili.org website its a scam they ran away with the money donated!!!!

ABC said:
Dude, I am an audio engineer. I follow every peice of equipment that is released and that has ever been released and I can read signal flow charts and electronic schematics... if I'm not an audio geek, than I don't know what is.

I'm one of the rare photography geeks :)

But yeah, I used linux once from a live cd when i had a Windows machine, and it just seemed the same as windows :prrr:

vagrant said:
I have no idea what to say...because I have no idea what "mega bloat" means.

And yes, Mandriva is pretty sucky. Unless it comes with Penguin Race.

Mega bloat pretty much equals crap. :) My personal preference that I will shove down everyones throat of course, but having ~50-100meg of dependencies sucks.

*note I do not know the ACTUAL value but I know its a lot.

xfce ftw!

Linux on the Wii? Sounds cool, but not very logical =P

I'm sure its only a matter of time until someone gets a PowerPC distro working on the Wii.

Well in that case jeebs is just a moron. If you don't like KDE, then you shouldn't be using Linux in the first place.

Oooh good comeback. Very intelligent.
See that's exactly why I DO use linux (exclusively). If I dont like KDE I can use xfce, flux, open, WMII, rat poison etc etc. To each his own.

Back