List of inexpensive network adatpers compatible with the Wii

ciper

May 1, 2007
▐▄█▀█▄▌
If you are active in the Wii forums you probably heard of the Kinemax adapter that NewEgg used to sell. Unfortunately NewEgg now sells an updated model that doesn't work :(

I started searching around for other adapters with the same chipset and found a list of tested adapters!

Thanks should go out to the WiiLi project.
http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Wii_ethernet_adapter

Here is another example of why modchips are a good thing.

I came across the same site--though I took the scenic route to get there. It's a great resource.

I've been thinking of hardwiring everything recently.

My Wii is literally 1 inch away from my router (the router is on the UPS by the TV) but I will still use wireless. My internet connection maxes out at 3MB/s but on a single connection I have never seen more than 200k per second (torrents dont count). Even with a bad signal wireless will always be faster than the internet connection.

I've been thinking of hardwiring everything recently.

me too.

rather than run ethernet inside the wall cavity, i've decided to get
a couple of those "home plug" networking over the mains adaptors.

i'll connect my router (connected to the modem) upstairs and then
another router (as a switch) downstairs and connect the Wii and
modded xbox to it. it'll leave 1 spare ethernet port for when i get
the elite.

FR3344LL said:
rather than run ethernet inside the wall cavity, i've decided to get
a couple of those "home plug" networking over the mains adaptors.

Check benchmarks before buying. Many of the ethernet over powerline adapters are slower than 802.11b!

Check benchmarks before buying. Many of the ethernet over powerline adapters are slower than 802.11b!

yeah, i've seen them. there are also some "newer" ones which offer
(reportedly) upto 85Mbps whcih tbh, will be plenty fast enough for
my useage.

if they do turn out to be crap, i'll take 'em back and run ethernet
down the wall. the only reason i'm putting ethernet off at the mo'
is because i'm just out of cast (ruptured achilles tendon) so i'm
having a little bit of trouble with mobility!!

FR3344LL said:
yeah, i've seen them. there are also some "newer" ones which offer
(reportedly) upto 85Mbps whcih tbh, will be plenty fast enough for
my useage.

if they do turn out to be crap, i'll take 'em back and run ethernet
down the wall. the only reason i'm putting ethernet off at the mo'
is because i'm just out of cast (ruptured achilles tendon) so i'm
having a little bit of trouble with mobility!!

That's actually nice to know, when I was looking into a powerline network, the only ones I saw were slow as molasses.

ciper said:
My Wii is literally 1 inch away from my router (the router is on the UPS by the TV) but I will still use wireless. My internet connection maxes out at 3MB/s but on a single connection I have never seen more than 200k per second (torrents dont count). Even with a bad signal wireless will always be faster than the internet connection.

For my part, it's more about latency, data sync, and lost data--that is, video streaming. I've got my freevo located a fair distance from my 54g router (low to very signal), and although it streams better than it probably should, there are sometimes stutters. I figure, as long as I'm wiring the server, I may as well wire the Wii (which serves as my living room freevo portal via TVersity) too. Cabling is cheap, and if I'm going to crawling around in the attic anyway, what's another 10 minutes?

FR3344LL said:
the 85Mbps are a bit pricey, but they now have them available "upto"
200Mbps.

I actually had seen those netgears on ebay, but I didn't realize they boasted those speeds. Thanks for info. That puts those back on my radar. It adds some portability too--no matter where you move, you can take it with you without having to rewire. Not a lot of houses come prewired with cat5e. Probably not international portability though, I bet voltage converters would render them useless.

so the KINAMAX NT-USB20 USB 2.0...is that ne good?...or just stick to my wireless connection :S...im not to hightech when it comes to those kinda things :S

allstar2b87 said:
so the KINAMAX NT-USB20 USB 2.0...is that ne good?...or just stick to my wireless connection :S...im not to hightech when it comes to those kinda things :S

if you're already up and running wirelessly, why bother changing adaptors?

as the old saying goes:
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

allstar2b87 said:
The original version was but its harder to find now. The new version uses a different chipset and the Wii drivers don't support it.

whats the piont in a elite there are three changes
1. its black
2. its hdmi whats wrong with hd there more or less the same
3.its got 120gb space ull only use that much if you by every relaesed xbox 360 title

ciper said:
The original version was but its harder to find now. The new version uses a different chipset and the Wii drivers don't support it.

thnx!!!!:smilewinkgrin:

d1nk said:
whats the piont in a elite there are three changes
1. its black
2. its hdmi whats wrong with hd there more or less the same
3.its got 120gb space ull only use that much if you by every relaesed xbox 360 title

??????????????:scared: :scared: :scared:

Back