Looking for a TV... plasma or LCD.

The Fuzz

WiiChat Member
Sep 15, 2007
US
Wii Online Code
5277-1813-6727-0986
I am looking to spend around $600. Give or take from that amount. But does anyone know of a great TV that has worked out for them or one that they know of?

Dont get a plasma if you plan on using it with gaming.

You will burn images into the screen.

LCD is the way to go.

LCD for sure. plasma is crap in my opinion. im not an expert here but i hear its way to much to fix if it breaks, wich it will break after a few years.

You can get a nice LCD HDTV, but we need to know what size you're looking for.

And plasma FTL. It sucks.

I'm not a big fan of mid-grade Plasma (I've seen some highend that were calibrated that looked amazing). I notice WAY too much "dot crawl" on Plasma displays.

I believe LCD (because of the economy of scale) will be the dominate technology far into the future. With large projector sets being relatively cheap, the newest gen having super high refresh and contrast ratios, and direct view LCD's getting bigger and bigger, I'd say shop LCD.

[DT] said:
I'm not a big fan of mid-grade Plasma (I've seen some highend that were calibrated that looked amazing). I notice WAY too much "dot crawl" on Plasma displays.
I second that.

Don't forget plasma display is heavy and more power hungry. For mid-range display, < 37"/42", LCD is the way to go.

But if you want the largest size available, for example a 65" screen, then plasma is your best choice as LCD is still playing catch up there, and more expensive.

Last edited:
I love my westinghouse, best picture for the price.

then again its only 19 inches, but I got it for 225 new, with a normal price of 310.

its small but its for my dorm room.

Mr.Herron said:
Dont get a plasma if you plan on using it with gaming.

You will burn images into the screen.

LCD is the way to go.

not true. Burn-in is no longer really an issue for plasmas. You pretty much have to really try to burn in an image...like pause an image for 10 days straight.
Check out http://www.avsforum.com/ for tons of info. Both LCDs and plasmas are nice, but I got a 42" 9UK Panasonic plasma because blacks and color accuracy are better w/ plasmas.

the tv i was looking to buy was either a 26" sanyo lcd hdtv from wal-mart for $500 or a 26" polaroid lcd hdtv which was around $600 i think.both have mid decent reviews

My 19" Westinghouse rocks. +1 to the other guy that has it as well.

I'd buy another Westinghouse TV no problem. They are definitely the best price:quality TV's out there.

Spyro said:
My 19" Westinghouse rocks. +1 to the other guy that has it as well.

I'd buy another Westinghouse TV no problem. They are definitely the best price:quality TV's out there.

yep, it was the best looking when sitting next to the other tv's

And I was actually looking at at the poloroid tv, and the picture quality sucked compared to my westinghouse, and the looks of the poloroid tv its self arent that great.

Whatever you end up getting, please calibrate the picture settings properly. None of this full brightness nonsense :). Either a calibration disc like Avia or some recommended settings from CNET work just fine. There's a professional calibration service too, but it's a bit of an overkill for your case.

Back