LOST Season 5

I wouldn't say he's ashamed. He's working for Ben by choice, after all. He isn't certain that Ben is telling the truth about who killed Nadia, but he doesn't see any downside to killing people that Ben asks him to.

I wouldn't say he's ashamed. He's working for Ben by choice, after all. He isn't certain that Ben is telling the truth about who killed Nadia, but he doesn't see any downside to killing people that Ben asks him to.

True, but I believe he feels some measure of guilt for what he's doing, or else he wouldn't tell Hurley not to listen to Ben.

I think a lot of the Oceanic 6 think that Hurley is below them. From the very beginning, Hurley has never really been accepted as one of the big, important guys (the Others send him back when he's captured; Charlie won't let him go on the boat with him; Sawyer won't let him go back to ambush the Others with them, etc.) They all have habitually looked out for Hurley, told him that he can't go on missions with them, etc. Whether it's because of his weight or perhaps because they think he's crazy, Hurley is just the guy that is a good friend, not the guy that you trust in serious situations. This, I think, plays a large role in Sayid giving Hurley those overly-simplistic instructions—because Sayid didn't think Hurley could handle the situation on his own.

It bothers me that the producers drop those hints. Just let us watch the show.

At any rate, I think its relatively obvious why Jack, Kate, Aaron, and Sayid would go back. In Sayid's case, I think he will return because he needs Ben. He needs Ben as motivation. Motivating him to act the way hes acting, and he understands what he has done will come back to haunt him if he remains there without Ben. I think hes becoming nervous an paranoid because he realizes what Ben can do to him, and everyone else.

I am wondering one thing however...why is the keeping of John Locke's body safe so important?

Well, we're talking about a man who has lived with shame his entire life and took it quite seriously throughout his stay on the Island. Shame that stems largely from killing people. He is also a very vengeful character, as we've seen throughout the show. Many times when there's a potential criminal in some Island shenanigan, Sayid was usually the first to jump on the first known suspect without really knowing enough. As such, that probably had a lot to do with his decision to work for Ben. When I saw that scene it seemed no more of a rational decision than it was a vengeful impulse. I feel we are meant to see Sayid taking steps backward from the lessons he learned on the Island (which may motivate him to go back).

I feel as though his decision to join Ben and the line he gave to Hurley in this recent episode are meant to highlight these major parts of his character; someone who can easily operate around killing people, but isn't necessarily proud of it (torturing or otherwise).

No, I know that... but the producers have said they're very important to the mythology of the show.
Hmmm...
Perhaps they're two of the survivors who die in the past while they're traveling through time?

If they're that important, the creators have yet to reveal it within the show, as there has been nothing more explained of Adam and Eve since Season 1, so you know as much as anyone else does.

Nice theory, by the way.

Last edited:
I think that the different times people entered the "island", the more/less they are affected by the time warps.

I think that the different times people entered the "island", the more/less they are affected by the time warps.

That's the best theory I've heard so far, but I don't think that works. The 815ers (with exception of Locke), Juliet, and the Freighties (Miles, Charlotte, Faraday) went to The Island at different times, though, yet their time warps are consistent.

Only hunch I have is that time warps are partially relative to location. The "Sawyer group" warped as a group, yet Locke (who was somewhere else) didn't. Not a very good theory at all, but the only direction I can make at the moment.

Last edited:
My initial justification for the Others disappearing when Locke traveled in time was because they had somewhere else to be on the island at that point in time—back in their community, yet to be disturbed by the crash of Oceanic 815.

I am wondering one thing however...why is the keeping of John Locke's body safe so important?

I'm guessing because he will be alive again when he gets back to the island.

Anyone have any theories on why Locke didn't "move" to the same place/time as the Others?

Yeah I kind of thought what Tyler just said as well. Also, in the cases for Ethan and Richard, I think in the next place of time that Locke moved to, Ethan was dead. And for Richard, he's a crazy cat who has some kind of power of this time travel, since he seems to know when and where (in time) the island will be moving to next. I'm interested to see when they meet again, when Richard won't recognise him.

I'm going to assume we all have guessed that the woman at the end of the second episode is Faraday's mum? And if you remember, she was the lady in the pawn/ring shop (can't remember the exact shop) when Desmond was buying an engagement ring for Penny, and that woman knew Desmond and mentioned things regarding not being able to change the past or something like that. I can't remember exactly what she said, but it was something along those lines.

I must say, I enjoyed the bit with Faraday and Desmond. I knew there would be more to come of them two, with Desmond being Faraday's constant.

Regarding getting everyone back to the island, I'm going to guess that they all will be back at some point. I was thinking maybe Sun and Hurley might go back on Widmore's command for some reason, but subsequently being back at the island at the same time as others and allowing whatever needs to work, work.

Does anyone think it's possible that Widmore has had control of the island once before? The reason being is that the people who caught Sawyer and Juliet were English and had jumpsuits on that didn't have the Dharma badge on. Widmore is English, so they may be from his team. Also, it was something that Miles said, about Widmore taking 20 years to find the island in the first place, so he won't hold his breath for him to find it again. I suppose that could mean 20 years until recently when the freighter turned up, but who knows.

That's all I can think of for now.

I'm guessing because he will be alive again when he gets back to the island.

Yeah I kind of thought what Tyler just said as well. Also, in the cases for Ethan and Richard, I think in the next place of time that Locke moved to, Ethan was dead. And for Richard, he's a crazy cat who has some kind of power of this time travel, since he seems to know when and where (in time) the island will be moving to next. I'm interested to see when they meet again, when Richard won't recognise him.

I'm going to assume we all have guessed that the woman at the end of the second episode is Faraday's mum? And if you remember, she was the lady in the pawn/ring shop (can't remember the exact shop) when Desmond was buying an engagement ring for Penny, and that woman knew Desmond and mentioned things regarding not being able to change the past or something like that. I can't remember exactly what she said, but it was something along those lines.

I must say, I enjoyed the bit with Faraday and Desmond. I knew there would be more to come of them two, with Desmond being Faraday's constant.

Regarding getting everyone back to the island, I'm going to guess that they all will be back at some point. I was thinking maybe Sun and Hurley might go back on Widmore's command for some reason, but subsequently being back at the island at the same time as others and allowing whatever needs to work, work.

Does anyone think it's possible that Widmore has had control of the island once before? The reason being is that the people who caught Sawyer and Juliet were English and had jumpsuits on that didn't have the Dharma badge on. Widmore is English, so they may be from his team. Also, it was something that Miles said, about Widmore taking 20 years to find the island in the first place, so he won't hold his breath for him to find it again. I suppose that could mean 20 years until recently when the freighter turned up, but who knows.

That's all I can think of for now.
I assumed he meant 20 years since the freighter turned up. Widmore did talk to Ben as if Ben had "stolen" it, as if to say he's controlled it before, although it's possible Miles might just not know this.

Can't wait to see more of Desmond and Faraday either. I thought that woman might be Faraday's mother, although I have a sneaking feeling she might actually be Charlotte's mother- they're both from England, and why would the writers insert something so random as Charlotte forgetting her mother's maiden name (of all things) in the second episode unless it was set-up for something?

Does anyone think it's possible that Widmore has had control of the island once before? The reason being is that the people who caught Sawyer and Juliet were English and had jumpsuits on that didn't have the Dharma badge on. Widmore is English, so they may be from his team.

Maybe one of those guys WAS Charles Widmore?

Can't wait to see more of Desmond and Faraday either. I thought that woman might be Faraday's mother, although I have a sneaking feeling she might actually be Charlotte's mother- they're both from England, and why would the writers insert something so random as Charlotte forgetting her mother's maiden name (of all things) in the second episode unless it was set-up for something?

A possible reason for Charlotte forgetting her mother's maiden name could be that she (or her mind) is somehow lost in time or something. We know she is feeling some effects, the constant headache, and the nose bleed - which she says she hasn't had since she was a kid. So possibly her mind is being confused in a way with when she was a kid, and when she was a kid she probably didn't know her mother's maiden name.

Skippy said:
Maybe one of those guys WAS Charles Widmore?
They got killed though. Widmore's life would be guaranteed as the natural path of time can't change.

A possible reason for Charlotte forgetting her mother's maiden name could be that she (or her mind) is somehow lost in time or something. We know she is feeling some effects, the constant headache, and the nose bleed - which she says she hasn't had since she was a kid. So possibly her mind is being confused in a way with when she was a kid, and when she was a kid she probably didn't know her mother's maiden name.
Good point. I imagine the issue of Charlotte's headaches will be brought up next episode, although it begs the question as to why only she's having problems.

They got killed though. Widmore's life would be guaranteed as the natural path of time can't change.
Not to mention the fact that Ben "couldn't" kill him even when he was right in front of him for some reason.

Back