Love my Wii - Still Dissapointed

Wiggly

Nintendo
Nov 27, 2007
Hello! I've been a lurker for a couple of weeks (since I got my Wii) and this is my first post. I'll just start by saying, man I love it! I've got Wii sports, Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy, and Res Evil 4. All really really fun. Wii sports was especially impressive. Even though I bought the other 3 I still play WiiSports pretty often haha.

One single complaint though... GRAPHICS!!! My dad owns a PS3, he bought it because at the time it was the cheapest BluRay player you could get. We've got it hooked up to a 60" Rear Projection 1080P capable TV. Surround sound, high grade HDMI cables... the works. The graphics on it are INCREDIBLE. Although I rarely play it since it wont come with me when I move out I invested very little into it haha. Anyway, after being spoiled on that for about a year I got my Wii all to myself. Of those 4 games I've played so far... I gotta say I am highly dissapointed in the graphics...

Do they get any better?

Well, nowadays, companies are so focused on giving gamers one of three things:
  1. Graphics
  2. Gameplay
  3. or Gaming Enjoyment (i.e, Online play, voice connectivity, demos, etc.)

This is how I see it, Microsoft is focused on 2, then 1, then 3. 2-1-3. They make their games enjoyable for people, while saying they are the most graphically advanced, and fortunately for them, #3 just came naturally to them.

Sony, 1-3-2. Sony's commercials on T.V seem to be entirely focused on what visuals the console can bring, while not exactly showing their quality of games. Now I'm not saying they don't have good games, I'm just saying they don't focus entirely on it.

Nintendo, well that's an odd story. 2-2-1-3. Yes, 2-2-1-3. They focus so unbelievably much on gameplay, it's not even ridiculous. And as a result of this, they have 3 HUGE games. Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy, and Resident Evil 4. *COUGH* BRAWL! *COUGH* and some others to be named later...:cool:

Nintendo has made some of the best games EVER made, in fact, some say they've made the top 3 games ever made period. They are, from the statistics I've gathered from multiple sources, and in order:
  1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
  2. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
  3. Super Mario Galaxy [(Wii), and yes, I'm serious.]

Although as I write this, I'm beginning to reconsider my 2-2-1-3. Galaxy had some astonishing graphics for it's time, and Ocarina was a huge leap for Video Games in the graphics department.

Although, the console isn't the most graphically advanced, they do produce some pretty sharp "cartoon graphics".

Realism with sports and "life-like" graphics = No Wii.
Sharp, un-pixelated graphics = Wii.

Although...getting a console based on graphics is one of the worst ways to pick a console, but hey...that's just me....:crazy:

Jimmer1720 said:
Well, nowadays, companies are so focused on giving gamers one of three things:
  1. Graphics
  2. Gameplay
  3. or Gaming Enjoyment (i.e, Online play, voice connectivity, demos, etc.)

This is how I see it, Microsoft is focused on 2, then 1, then 3. 2-1-3. They make their games enjoyable for people, while saying they are the most graphically advanced, and fortunately for them, #3 just came naturally to them.

Sony, 1-3-2. Sony's commercials on T.V seem to be entirely focused on what visuals the console can bring, while not exactly showing their quality of games. Now I'm not saying they don't have good games, I'm just saying they don't focus entirely on it.

Nintendo, well that's an odd story. 2-2-1-3. Yes, 2-2-1-3. They focus so unbelievably much on gameplay, it's not even ridiculous. And as a result of this, they have 3 HUGE games. Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy, and Resident Evil 4. *COUGH* BRAWL! *COUGH* and some others to be named later...:cool:

Nintendo has made some of the best games EVER made, in fact, some say they've made the top 3 games ever made period. They are, from the statistics I've gathered from multiple sources, and in order:
  1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
  2. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
  3. Super Mario Galaxy [(Wii), and yes, I'm serious.]

Although as I write this, I'm beginning to reconsider my 2-2-1-3. Galaxy had some astonishing graphics for it's time, and Ocarina was a huge leap for Video Games in the graphics department.

Although, the console isn't the most graphically advanced, they do produce some pretty sharp "cartoon graphics".

Realism with sports and "life-like" graphics = No Wii.
Sharp, un-pixelated graphics = Wii.

Although...getting a console based on graphics is one of the worst ways to pick a console, but hey...that's just me....:crazy:

umm... no. sony isn't just all about the graphics. okay, look, the reason microsoft and sony have these awesome graphics and powerfull machines is cuz that the game they're playing and, at first, thought that nintendo was going to play. after the wii was revealed, sony looked at it and said, "huh, they're kind of right about gaming getting old if this is the same game we play" (not really, my wordz here), which is why you have the sixaxis on the ps3. microsoft, on the other hand said, "thats a stupid idea, and i'm going to laugh when you guys fail" but now theyre trying to get into the casual market with seen it and the arcade sku. the reason sony has all these graphics is because they're playing the power game with ms and the reason that they showcase it a lot is because its one of the highlights of the console. i mean, if you created a console that has awesome graphics, wouldnt you want to advertise that?

and to answer this one guys question about wii games looking better. maybe. some guys got the unreal engine 3 running on it but thats kinda dumb since the wii doesnt have all the power to do much with it.

Well... That did put things in perspective. Even though the graphics arent the best I do have to say I would never give up my wii. Games are so much more fun on it... I cant wait to get NFS Carbon... I heard it was freaking great on wii!

hmm i understand that ps3's graphics are better but wii's graphic's aren't bad, they're bad compared to ps3, and 360, but they definetly aren't bad, it's j ust that ps3 is god-like and 360 is amazing

look at it this way
great games with good graphics>good games with great graphics

well the wii really dont focus on graphics... nintendo focuses on u know something new, and fun gameplay not like the old press the button to kill them or move the analog to aim but more realistic. if your looking for graphics i say buy an xbox 360 because they have alot of good games out on it now but not sure about ps3 so if u love graphics more than your wii then get a 360 or sumthing cuz i dont think theyll improve it.. but ssbb have some pretty good graphics and cant wait for it.. if ur a fan of super smash den i guess u shud endure the graphics for ssbb :lol:

Gaming isn't about graphics, it's about fun and innovation. if it wasn't about these things, we'd still be playing nes. You want fun? Wii all the way.

btw, 360's proccessers make it easier for develpers to make great graphics... but ps3 has potential for far greater graphics than 360. Just wanted to clear that up.

Well, I have owned all 3 at one point and can say I have had way more fun owning the Wii than the other consoles. The only reason i got the PS3 is for the blue ray player ( which is all it is ever really used for ) except for Call of Duty and Assassins Creed.
I camped out over night for the 360 and was an instant fan. Have probably 40 games now for the system and counting.
Once I picked up the Wii about 6 months ago, this has become the system of choice. The other two have the superior graphics and better online gaming now but Wii's gameplay and fun factor is no comparison. The Wii is good fun for everyone and that's what Nintendo is after. Graphics are second.
If you want graphics, go get a 360 or PS3.:thumbsup:

The Wii has PS2 level Graphics but the games are BLAZING!

Yes the PS3 RAPES ALL OTHER CONSOLES WITH ITS SHEER POWER!!!!!
But Wii has a better control system and better online support (with the channels being updated often etc) and an awesome Virtual Console feature which rules the universe!

I'm getting a PS3 in the future but TBH there are lots of pretty games on it but not good games.

Graphics arn't all that which is why I'm an avid Retro Gamer.

It's the GAME PLAY dude.

Look, how about I chuck a spanner in the works and work out what defines 'graphics'. Id say mario Galaxy has some of the best graphics I've ever seen. Whilst not realistic, it has a very appealing 'graphic' look. Its pushing some nice effects and has some awesome variation to its levels that keep you saying 'wow!' at every turn. However it isnt pushing as many polygons or resolution as The Other Two, it surely has some 'nice graphics'. If Mario Galaxy is a look into the future I'm sure we can expect some prettier Wii games in the future, not as nice as 360 and PS3, but they can surely stand on their own.
And as I always say, graphics arent everything. Surely a woman can be attractive, but that doesnt mean she'll be good in bed ;) ...think about it

i think ps3's is 321 because its all about online games with PS3 and everyones always online also the games are awesome and last the graphics are just apart of the powerful machine

Malachi said:
The Wii has PS2 level Graphics but the games are BLAZING!

Yes the PS3 RAPES ALL OTHER CONSOLES WITH ITS SHEER POWER!!!!!
But Wii has a better control system and better online support (with the channels being updated often etc) and an awesome Virtual Console feature which rules the universe!

I'm getting a PS3 in the future but TBH there are lots of pretty games on it but not good games.

Graphics arn't all that which is why I'm an avid Retro Gamer.

It's the GAME PLAY dude.

how does the wii have the same graphics as ps2, yet better graphics than the gamecube, when the gamecube had better graphics than the ps2?

I'm quoting this from another source, forgot where though and non-verbatum:

"PS3 and Xbox 360 are only upgrades of their predecessors, better video cards, bigger hard drive, etc. The Wii is the only TRUE next-gen console that offers a whole new gaming experience."

Last edited:
Yea, one of my biggest complaints about the Wii would be the graphics, as well as the lack of online functions. Hopefully the online stuff comes sometime soon.

Back