Mac G4

blueradio

get crunk.
Jan 2, 2007
Cleveland.
Wii Online Code
6390-2874-0535-4544
I just bought one and it arrived.
but I'm having trouble connecting to the internet.
Can Mac and PC work on the same server using the same router?

actually... i still use my G4 and it runs great... although it's starting to get on the slow side.

anyways, networking the mac should be no different from on a PC. i think the configuration stuff on mac (using OSX) is in System Preferences.

Gaz said:
of course, but why did u buy a g4, that's just insane.
Because it was 245 dollars and was seriously pimped. 4.6 GHZ processor 2 gigs of RAM and 200 gigs of actually memory.
with Mac OS X.4.8 Tiger and CD And DVD burner/drives
It was a deal.

Gymdawg said:
A type of computer made by Apple.

See HERE for more information
I realize that most Mac users are pompous douchebags but please don't compare me to them. I still use my PC and Windows. I'm not biased at all and I in no way intended for a flame war between PC and Mac users. lol what a nub.

Anyways,
Thanks guys.
I'm new to the Mac interface so it'll take some time to get used to.
I'm buying a really long ethernet cable so I can just connect the Mac to my other PC.

Last edited:
blueradio said:
I realize that most Mac users are pompous douchebags but please don't compare me to them. I still use my PC and Windows. I'm not biased at all and I in no way intended for a flame war between PC and Mac users. lol what a nub.
I wasn't trying to demean you at all. That was not a personal blow directed at you. I happened to check Maddox's site yesterday and found that he had posted a new article which was too fitting not to share.
Please don't be offended.

In preferences, select network, and then ethernet. Select "Using DHCP" and the mac should pick up an address automatically from the router. This is how I've done my entire network, except my entire network is apple airport wireless with all macs, except for the Wii and one PC with a wireless card. But I do believe the concept is still the same. And yes, I am biased to apple. I like when things just work. My entire network was up in minutes with no help and I don't know crap about networks either. So I hope some of this has helped.

Anyone that owns a mac and a pc clearly knows that macs are awsome computers. They are just too pricey. I have one and a bunch of pc's and love it. If I get the cash I may take the big plunge and go mac for my main computer.

theiceman72 said:
Anyone that owns a mac and a pc clearly knows that macs are awsome computers. They are just too pricey. I have one and a bunch of pc's and love it. If I get the cash I may take the big plunge and go mac for my main computer.
Thats correct. I have used Windows my whole life and just recently started using Mac and it is awesome. I have only had one problem with it and all it was is that some little 5 year old in China making 5 cents a day didn't put the RAM in all the way. I still keep my PC around for gaming and running Linux but I rarely use it anymore. Who cares what the Mac users act like anyway? I don't buy a computer because of the people that use it.

theiceman72 said:
ooooook, look at what you get with a mac, look what you get with a PC, and compare the price, you get soooooo much more with a mac than you do a pc, there is nothing more than you can ask for.

Just for you mac users that dont know, you can get a linux for Mac. It's been out for ages. Also all the good games come out PC/OsX compat. Like hummm, WOW. The only game I play on my PC btw. With a mac you dont have to worry about system crashes, blue screens out of the clear blue, viruses, installing programs that bring your mac to crash or not work correctly. The list goes on and on.

All I know is my macbook w/ 1.83 ghz dual core and 1 gb memory blows my main windows machine out of the water. They are both running vista and apart from integrated graphics on the mac it's much faster and more stable then my pc, which I still love too. Anyways, blueradio did you get your internet working? My wireless router handles both types of machines fine, but I'm running intel, I wouldn't think that would matter though.

blueradio said:
Because it was 245 dollars and was seriously pimped. 4.6 GHZ processor 2 gigs of RAM and 200 gigs of actually memory.
with Mac OS X.4.8 Tiger and CD And DVD burner/drives
It was a deal.

Anyways,
Thanks guys.
I'm new to the Mac interface so it'll take some time to get used to.

AS far as networking goes. I'm really not sure, all my Mac networking has been easy as plug in and go, for the most part.

But that is a good deal man. Haha, welcome to "Our side" of the computing world. You'll love the interface once you get used to it. The best advice I can give you is to learn the shortcut keys, and make use of features like the Active Screen Corners. Apple-tab of course, Apple-space to bring up your spotlight. It's also useful to set up your hot corners to have them arrange windows. My top left clears the screen, and my top right is Expose. There are also the Shift-Apple shortcuts from the desktop. Use Shift-Apple-C for example to go right to your computer, or Shift-Apple-H to get to your home directory.

Once you get a hang of it you'll probably find yourself being just as productive with the OS as you are on Windows, and able to find stuff faster on your Mac. It is always best to have both worlds though. I got my Macbook Pro set up right next to HP desktop.

Yeah, currently my Mac is in my room next to my bed and my PC is downstairs in my family room.
A friend of mine is lending me a Airport Card for keeps and I'm going to buy a 50 foot ethernet cable to connect the two together.
I have an AT&T router currently because we changed providers. I don't think there will be a problem with anything else but the thing that worried me was the AT&T hand book showed no Mac support.
I don't truly think this will be a problem seeing as it said PC to PC connecting.
But you never know. Once my friend gives me the Airport Card it won't be that much of a problem because I'll just buy the Airport Extreme.
Thanks so much for your help everyone!

:::!Edit!:::

Yeah I'm still getting used to the Apple button and Ctrl clicking.
But I'm definitely liking the new style. Thanks again.

Back