Major headache trying to get Wii connected!

lornaallan

WiiChat Member
Jun 27, 2007
I just got my Wii yesterday, and today bought the LAN adapter for it. I have a broadband connection where the modem is plugged into my pc via a usb port, then have an adsl connection running from the modem to a speedtouch box which then runs to a broadband filter, then from there goes into a wall socket along with my telephone.

Whenever i try to test the connection i get error message 51420. I have the LAN Adaptor connected to the Wii via the usb connection and it is then connected to my pc via the LAN adaptor.

There are no extra ports or anything on the back of my speedtouch modem or on my broadband filter.....

Can I plug the LAN connection from the Wii directly into my computer??

Please help, am going MAD!

ok you need a a router. Not a wired or wireless. The reason why:

Because you need an ethernet cable going from your LAN adaptor, which i assume is plugged into the wii, to your router and then your router is to be plugged into the modem. Im sure speedtouch is the little tiny thing that is from BT? If it is then yeah i had that ages ago and basically you are screwed until you get yourself a wiered router at the least.

If you buy yourself and wireless one then you can search for an access point on your wireless router directly from your wii and if all goes well it will connect. :D

Hope that helps

Thanks for your help, yep its the small modem from BT!!! - is there a wired router you could recommend? Also, one more quick question...

I tried a wireless router which I bought today, but when I tried to connect it to my computer it kept saying that no modem was detected - so I took it back to the shop for a refund!!! Any idea what I did wrong?? Thanks, Im not very good at this technical stuff!

Hmm.. Well, taking it back to the shop was probably not the best option you could have chosen but its done now.

Your options:

Ok so you are obviously with BT which would mean you have an ADSL connection. Go pick up a wireless router, model: Belkin .. any ADSL belkin router should work ( i moved house since i was on ADSL so im on cable now and atm i have a cable belkin wireless router ). When you bring it home you should have step by step instructions which are VERY easy to follow ( belkin are nice like that ). When you have set it up you can either search for an access point from your wii to your router and easily connect like that, or if you want to put the money spent on the LAN adapter to use, you could connect your LAN adapter to your wii and then run an ethernet cable from your LAN adapter to your wireless router (should have 4 slots at the least at the back of the router ) and then run the USB cord ( i think its blue :S might be yellow ) from your router to your speedtouch modem. But bare in mind the speed touch modem might not work but try it anyway.

and then run the USB cord ( i think its blue :S might be yellow ) from your router to your speedtouch modem. But bare in mind the speed touch modem might not work but try it anyway.

no. don't do that.

if you get an ADSL router, it will 99.9% of the time be a combined ADSL
Modem/Router. you can then do away with the shitty USB one supplied
by your ISP.

what you would need to do is remove all traces of the USB modem from your
PC. this means removing drivers etc.

you would then need to connect the ADSL line to your microfilter, and connect
your PC to one of the 4 LAN ports on the rear of the router.
read the instructions regarding setting up the router because you will need
to access the router web based configuration pages to prepare it so that
it connects to your ISP (this entails entering your ISP supplied username
and password).

please note, i've set up and configured a few belkin ADSL wireless routers
and they always seem to have errors in the instructions. these can be
either the wrong router IP address or the wrong encapsulation method.
one i recently set up informed the owner to use PPPoE (which our american
friends use) rather than PPPoA.

Back