Manhunt 2

jowii said:
Thanks for your opinion, and for reducing the discussion to the usual immaturity ridden threads all across the internets. Wii thank you.

If you were smart, you would realize that my original statement was not stated in absolutes, but in a question format meant to raise discussion. The fact is that the Wii is mainly marketed to the casual and new gamer. Watch the commercials. I said nothing about who actually plays it. Are there hardcore gamers that own the Wii? Hell yes, I am one of them. But hard statistics about who has bought the Wii have not become available as of yet, and thus here is a discussion about it.

In addition, this game is not made by Nintendo. It is made by Rockstar. It is their gamble. True, Nintendo had to supply the license and DevKit to Rockstar to make it on the Wii, but their financial investment is minimal.

Next, with Nintendo's approval of this game for the Wii it is obvious that it is an attempt to bring more of the hardcore crowd in. What is not obvious is its success. Hence, the discussion.

Also, I had already yielded that it could signal the leader of a growing pool of more violent, adult-oriented, hardcore games. Thanks to Maximo for providing a list of those games, but I would add that NONE of those games come close to the brutality of Mahunt. None. Plus, as an aside to Maximo, the PS2's game repertoire was/is by-and-large marketed to the hardcore crowd, with the cutesy games (and eye-toy) being in the minority, and you know it. Go into EB and look at the shelf. Go ahead. I'll wait.

My question refers to the probability of success, not the state of the situation.

More thoughts?
bush-internets.jpg

Itll suceed, every mature/hardcore gamer will dive for this game (me 2) since there arent a ton of games like this for the wii YET. This is but a taste of what rockstar has in store for the wii :thumbsup:

Game was overrated on the PS2.
Total waste of time and was basically a remake of so many thrillers.

No interest here.

Wii is an obvious choice I mean you basically have two hands for controls now I have never played Manhunt so this is just my observation but the game revolves around uses wire to strangle or chop or peoples heads, Etc. so what better way then to actually make the motions

Its good its not a old port coming to the Wii, i thought it was gonna be another old remade game. (like manhunt 1)

But this is new,
Yyyyaaayy Rockstar/Nintendo lol :)

I don't see how having a broad range of games for any console can hurt it. Infact, if anything hindered Nintendo consoles in the past it was the lack of variety.

PSOne and PS2 have been successful because of their huuuge selection of games. Admittedly a large proportion of those i would never play but there was a broad selection of games for all preferences.

I bought a Wii cos of the innovative controller and the potentially great utilisation of it in future games. In order for that to happen I, as a gamer, would want lots of games to choose from.

I hope this is the first of a great many "hardcore" games coming to the Wii :thumbsup:

I freaking loved the first one. I can just imagine using the numbchuck and wii remote as wire and suffacating someone. Dude this is going to be great.

Lol the guy can say all he wants to but his argument made so sense so I called him out on it. The Wii is not marketed to a specific set of people. Its for everybody. And that includes "hardcore" gamers. I don't see any reason why this game can't be a part of the Wii lineupt.

it looks great to me i mean i love all game from cooking mama to silent hill. nintendo is doing a great thing letting their be more violent games on the wii. i just hope that the developers of any game keep the controls innovative and fun for every game i hope we dont start getting the same thing over and over and over. but they way things look now i think nintendo is going to rise up on top this generation. i just hope people dont lose interest in the wii but i dont think they will

I think you missused the term "hardcore gamer" A game with over the top violence is usually for the casual gamer. For example, a violent game like Def Jam is aimed towards the casual gamer. Hardcore gamers are looking for quality gameplay and often enjoy Zelda, Metroid, Final Fatasy. Nintendo has had Tons of Mature games in the past. This game might look weird for xbox if it gets put inbetween Harry Potter and Sponge Bob.

i agree on the term of hardcore gamer. i consider myself one and i like my share of violent games but i would rather put in another hour to my thousands i have already put on SSBM. and i want my games to have a deep story a violent game is nothing but a fun waste of time if it does not have a great story to back it up. thats what a hardcore gamer looks for. they like quality of the title over the mature rating

Here is Rockstars latest statement in regards to the nature of Manhunt 2 and their decision to offer it to the Wii console.

“We believe Manhunt 2 is a great entertainment experience for fans of psychological thrillers and urban horror. Manhunt 2 is a chilling and compelling drama and is only appropriate for people who are old enough to play it.

Manhunt 2 builds on the success of the original Manhunt, a critically acclaimed and BAFTA-nominated title that has established a loyal fan base amongst adult gamers. We are aware that in direct contradication to all available evidence, certain individuals continue to link the original Manhunt title to the Warren Leblanc [the boy found guilty of murdering Stefan Pakeerah] case in 2004. The transcript of the court case makes it quite clear what really happened.

At sentencing the Judge, defence, prosecution and Leicester police all emphasised that Manhunt played no part in the case. We respect those who have different opinions about the horror genre and video games as a whole, but we hope they will also consider the opinions of gamers. The stories in modern video games are as diverse as the stories in books, film and television.

Rockstar submits every game to the appropriate bodies for rating and classification and in the case of Manhunt 2 it is clearly a game aimed at an adult audience and we anticipate that it will receive an 18+ rating.”

I for one am glad to see this title heading for Wii, a wide variety or different genre games will only add to the Wii's growing popularity... even though it's not gonna be an easy task for Rockstar :)

Back