mario can only look so good...

Jono

taste's like chicken
Nov 29, 2006
melburn
Wii Online Code
2913-6550-9284-2410
I was thinking how good all the character developement has been from the first smash bros on 64 to brawl on the wii, but what about the next gen console's?

will nintendo go HD and if they do will mario and friends lose thier 'cartoon' appeal?
Nintendo's graphics can only go so far untill mario starts to look like a human which would be strange and would take alot of nintendo's charm away.

so what is going to happen to all those original 16 bit characters we know and love when nintendo decides to take a step up to high definition and next generaton graphics?

they would keep mario the same but other games would have better graphics, so would mario games for that matter though the characters would stay the same.

Agreed with SuppaRoy

Just look at smashbrosh. Also dont forget the worlds they are in. They can give those a lot more detail.

lets hope ey.

but dont you think it's a shame mario can't go any further graphics wise?

Nah because then he would actualy look like a italian plumber and that would be just creepy.

The gamecube had the power to make Mario look more "human" as such, but just because consoles are more powerful graphically does not imply that the artistic style of the characters will suddenly change from "cartoonish" to life-like.

Although you do raise a good point; the hardware limitations of the Nintendo 64 did assist in making Mario look more cartoonish with flat-gourad surfacing colouring Mario as opposed to proper skinning.

The same could be said with games like Secret of Mana on the Super Nintendo, with the sprite-based graphics the game felt more like playing through an anime series or manga comic than a game.

I think it's important to remember that good graphics do not make good games, they just illustrate it.

Last edited:
Agreed with Ezekiel86.

As much as graphics will change, mario will stay. A good example is how he looks in Brawl. He looks the same in terms of basically everything. They just added more detail. I'd imagine that Nintendo would save the graphics memory to add to the overall gameplay and length of the game.

Ezekiel86 said:
I think it's important to remember that good graphics do not make good games, they just illustrate it.

Sense spoken. Rep given. Nose thumbed at Blu-ray loving Sony Fanboys.

True Mario might not get updated much, but the graphics upgrade would probably go to making him look smoother and moreso the enviroments, which get better looking in each game..Galax looks fantastic for instance.

Back