Mario Party 8: is it good?

xsalad_bar

WiiChat Member
Jul 29, 2007
Is mario party 8 a good game worth buying. Would it be fun to playwith 2 people. Does it have high replay value. Should I buy it?

i was thoroughly disapointed in it. It's the exact game as the first 7. They controls lack any innovation whatsoever. I got it from Gamefly, about an hour later it was back in the mailbox, as me and my g/f were completely turned off by it.

It's unfortunate but the tech demo - wii sports - has been the most fun multiplayer for such a promising system

MaxPing said:
I thought it was the biggest pile of steaming **** it went on EBay the same day i bought it.

Dont you ever call that game steaming!!! That game doesn't even deserve steaming!

Yeah, as you can see, Mario Party 8 is not the biggest Wii mini-game hit.

IGN - 5.2
Gamespot - 6.5

I suggest Warioware: Smooth Moves or WiiPlay instead, since they are mini-games.

Some people on this site are ridiculous, form your own opinions, don't just cite IGN, gamespot or any other gaming site. Sure it is just another in the series, most everybody that didn't like it expected it to be revolutionary, and it wasn't, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is fun to play with friends, by yourself, it isn't nearly as fun. If you're unsure, rent the game, and that goes for any game. I am probably the only open supporter of the game, simply because I don't care that they didn't do anything groundbreaking with the controls, that will come, I enjoy it for what it is an entertaining multiplayer game.

blueovalboy7 said:
Some people on this site are ridiculous, form your own opinions, don't just cite IGN, gamespot or any other gaming site. Sure it is just another in the series, most everybody that didn't like it expected it to be revolutionary, and it wasn't, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is fun to play with friends, by yourself, it isn't nearly as fun. If you're unsure, rent the game, and that goes for any game. I am probably the only open supporter of the game, simply because I don't care that they didn't do anything groundbreaking with the controls, that will come, I enjoy it for what it is an entertaining multiplayer game.

I couldn't have said it any better. With that aside, I truely enjoyed Mario Party 8. I have never before played a Mario Party game, so when my family and I played it together we all loved it. It's fun with 3 or 4 people, I think you should at least rent it and judge for yourself as appose to listening to others (they probably don't like it because they played it by themself anyway).

firedragon said:
I couldn't have said it any better. With that aside, I truely enjoyed Mario Party 8. I have never before played a Mario Party game, so when my family and I played it together we all loved it. It's fun with 3 or 4 people, I think you should at least rent it and judge for yourself as appose to listening to others (they probably don't like it because they played it by themself anyway).

Thanks, its nice to have some back up on occasion. Have you tried playing "Test for the best" I think is what it's called. 10 minigames that you get graded on and given a score and compile the stats and give you an overall score/grade. I had fun with it trying to better my scores.

Hmm does it sport, by any chance, online play? Mario Party games were always, and have meant to be, fun... what makes it going on to the Wii, and being the eigth edition, so much worse (this goes to all the complainers and haters)? Just know that any more Mario party Games won't be much different--the main theme of the game is always gonna be the same don't you think? Just some minor weeks in the gameplay such as item circles, Question circles, Bowser circles--how they are carried out, but most of all, the areas, music, and MINI-GAMES. With new mini-games comes more fun and competition with the traditional "haha I'm better than you in this game" or "hah I'm the best" and what not...

Just think about it, the game can't change THAT much each time, it will lose its meaning, point, and purpose over time. They even have to change the storyline of the story mode each time! =P

Last edited:
No online play.

I have never played a Mario Party before MP8 and I found it OK. My only gripes was the lack of widescreen support and the slow pace of single player. Its passable.

supanova said:
If I wanted to play with 3-4 people, do I need that many controllers? I only have two, at the moment.

Yea, you need one remote per player. Its not like warioware where you have to pass the controller around. No nunchuks necessary except for one minigame in the extras tent so no worries there.

I got it this weekend and it's fun. When you have frends over. IT's more of a 2 or more player. just because isg and others sites give it 5 or lower dose not mean it sucks. it's fun

blueovalboy7 said:
Thanks, its nice to have some back up on occasion. Have you tried playing "Test for the best" I think is what it's called. 10 minigames that you get graded on and given a score and compile the stats and give you an overall score/grade. I had fun with it trying to better my scores.

No I never heard of it before, but i'll do some research on it though. It sounds really good. Is it on the Wii?

If only online play was an option! You could play with people all around the world, instead of limiting it to the people in the room. With more and different people comes more competition, challenges and overall fun. However, I understand that making such a fun feature would be naturally flawed. Why? What happens if someone just stops playing in the middle, or even the beginning of the game? A game could last for hours, and speaking of lasting for so long--people could quit whenever they want by turning pressing the power button. Other players don't have to actually try when they are your forced partner during a mini-game (unless of course two people on the same console act as a team). All of this due to the mini-game, map-exploring, long-lasting nature of Mario Party games. HOWEVER, online play for just mini-games would definately have worked out...getting a party of four people whichever way you can carry it out (i.e accepting random players, forming a private party through inviting of friends, and such). Ah what a fantasy...

Back